Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyWolf

I have a question to any controller.

If you ask some aircraft to descend to a different altitude (ie, descend and maintain FL240) what kind of rate do you expect to see that aircraft do?

I am trying to find it in the AIM, till then, thankyou

AIM 4-4-9. Adherence to Clearance
d. When ATC has not used the term "AT PILOT'S DISCRETION" nor imposed any climb or descent restrictions, pilots should initiate climb or descent promptly on acknowledgement of the clearance. Descend or climb at an optimum rate consistent with the operating characteristics of the aircraft to 1,000 feet above or below the assigned altitude, and then attempt to descend or climb at a rate of between 500 and 1,500 fpm until the assigned altitude is reached. If at anytime the pilot is unable to climb or descend at a rate of at least 500 feet a minute, advise ATC. If it is necessary to level off at an intermediate altitude during climb or descent, advise ATC, except when leveling off at 10,000 feet MSL on descent, or 2,500 feet above airport elevation (prior to entering a Class C or Class D surface area), when required for speed reduction.

I have a question to any controller.

If you ask some aircraft to descend to a different altitude (ie, descend and maintain FL240) what kind of rate do you expect to see that aircraft do?

I am trying to find it in the AIM, till then, thankyou

Try the AIM! Optimum rate consistent with safety until within 1000ft then climb or descend 500-1500/fpm! uh, I think!:erm:

Last edited:
hey wolfie...what paul said! How are those twins doing Paul? Nice Avatar....timeto get the old guy off of mine:D

I have a related question:

Let's say I'm given a descent to X, cross ABC at (same) X. Do you want me to be level at the new altitude exactly at the fix, or can I descend now (say I'm 20 miles out) and "drag" it to the fix?

Got my peepee whacked by a captain for doing a 3:1 descent to be level exactly at the fix. It worked, like it always does, but he wanted me down NOW to cross LATER.

I have a related question:

Let's say I'm given a descent to X, cross ABC at (same) X. Do you want me to be level at the new altitude exactly at the fix, or can I descend now (say I'm 20 miles out) and "drag" it to the fix?

Got my peepee whacked by a captain for doing a 3:1 descent to be level exactly at the fix. It worked, like it always does, but he wanted me down NOW to cross LATER.

Better to be down a lil before than a lil after...:D

Are you hand flying the descents?

Latest resources

Back