Question for Navy Fixed Wing Guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fearless Tower

Does NATOPS have min altitude for autopilot engagement?

Background - I'm an active duty black shoe (SWO) and a civilian pilot on the side and had a flight recently in a C-12. On this trip, I was sitting in the stbd side bench seat and had a clear view of the cockpit.

On takeoff, about 200' above the runway, pilot flying selects gear up and immediately starts fiddling with the autopilot (located on the center console down between the seats).

Now that would be way uncool from a 135/121 perspective, but I realize that civialian regs don't apply here. So, the question is: is there a min altitude for A/P use in this case?

Each aircrafts NATOPS limitations are different. The P-3 NATOPS has warnings that autopilots should not be used below 200ft and has restrictions for use during approaches but does not place any restrictions on climb out. I don't have a copy of a C-12 NATOPS, but it is entirely possible that it's limitations on autopilot use are similar.

Yaw Dampner

Background - I'm an active duty black shoe (SWO) and a civilian pilot on the side and had a flight recently in a C-12. On this trip, I was sitting in the stbd side bench seat and had a clear view of the cockpit.

On takeoff, about 200' above the runway, pilot flying selects gear up and immediately starts fiddling with the autopilot (located on the center console down between the seats).

Now that would be way uncool from a 135/121 perspective, but I realize that civialian regs don't apply here. So, the question is: is there a min altitude for A/P use in this case?
If I remember correctly we had to engage the Yaw Damper shortly after take-off. It was right next to the auto-pilot engage switch.

Minimum 200 feet for activation of autopilot or yaw damper.

Yaw damper activation item 6 on the climb checklist. PNF activate no lower than 200 feet.

Yaw Damper activate button is on the autopilot mode select panel, so it sounds like they were just complying with the climb checklist (at about 200 feet), but unless the procedures have changed it should have been the non-flying pilot.

Actually there is nothing wrong with engaging your autopilot at 200' on takeoff in the 121 world if your aircraft is certified for it. Our A320 manual actually states the min altitude for autopilot on takeoff is 100 ft AGL.

If I remember correctly we had to engage the Yaw Damper shortly after take-off. It was right next to the auto-pilot engage switch.

Not sure about checklists or anything but this is fairly standard for King Airs. Sometimes I like to use the climb feature withe the FD and the autopilot off. I'm sure everyone has a preference.

Only NATOPS limitation for the Hornet is radalt hold below 500' is prohibited.

I personally engage attitude hold the second I go off the cat at night.

All,

Thanks for the info.....it was indeed the A/P he was engaging (not just the yaw damper).....that is what was a little unusual about it - in the King Air, because of the location of the A/P controls, he probably spent about 7-8 seconds with his head down punching in buttons and then fiddling with the trim wheel on the A/P control panel. The right seat guy (PNF) was observing.....also not looking outside.

I got the feeling the left seater was new to the A/C. Right seat guy was listed on the log as Aircraft Commander and kept intervening while the left seater was doing the runnup.

All,

Thanks for the info.....it was indeed the A/P he was engaging (not just the yaw damper).....that is what was a little unusual about it - in the King Air, because of the location of the A/P controls, he probably spent about 7-8 seconds with his head down punching in buttons and then fiddling with the trim wheel on the A/P control panel. The right seat guy (PNF) was observing.....also not looking outside.

I got the feeling the left seater was new to the A/C. Right seat guy was listed on the log as Aircraft Commander and kept intervening while the left seater was doing the runnup.

Don't worry dude the King Air is like a cradle. Nothing to worry about. There is a lot to do after wheels up. Yaw damp, set power, set up Flight Director, landing lights off and autofeather off. The longer I fly the aircraft the longer I keep my eyes outside and spend more time flying the airplane before starting the after take off items. Hopefully in 6 months you will get to fly with that pilot again and you will see how far he has come.

Latest resources

Back