Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Av8ter

:( Hi guys and gals,

Just got the word from Sid Davis, the HR rep at PSA, that they will not be doing any interviews until at least spring of 03. They only have one class scheduled and that is 10/21, with the other being cancelled. The reason is late delivery of RJ's from mainline, and slow movement elsewhere.

The October class was filled with poolies. No word on how the supposed Emery exodus has affected them.

So it's wait time again. tick tock, tick tock...

Av8ter

I don't know where people are getting all these Rj's at PSA lets look at some facts: 1 Nobody will see an RJ, untill and if, U comes out of bankruptcy. 2. best case scenerio RJ's do show up at PSA at least 50% of the seats will be ML pilots. at the same time the 328's will likely be leaving. This will ultimetly leave a larger number of PSA pilots than aircraft. Keep in mind this is best case scenerio. Dreams of hundreds of RJ's at any single carrier (other than MDA) are just fantasy. I remember reading on this board a month ago, a PSA pilot was talking about proving runs by this date. PSA's union or maagement or both are spreading some tall tales. What I have said is not hearsay, it's in the J4J extorsion that the WO's have conceeded too.

Keep in mind if MDA cant get their certificate dilema under control there is a chance U will just take the PSA cert. and make it MDA with the appropriate devestation to the PSA pilot group. there are also about 3 theories in between these two examples.

bottom line dont plan on anything at PSA or the other two now inept WO's

I did state that the rumor was that PSA would be doing proving runs by the end of the year....but as the word "rumor" implies, sometimes they are not true. So here are the facts.

1. The bankrupcy court approved financing for U restructuring, a major part of that being the purchase of rj's.

2. PSA public statement "PSA will lease old NCR training facility at Dayton Airport Inn(hotel). Second floor will be renovated for new training facility". PSA aquired former US DAY Res. facility for additional training/office space.

3. PSA ALPA Negotiating Committee Chair appionted to Mid-Atlantic Negotiation Committee by ALPA President Duane Woerth. Woerth comments "Capt. Moon will represent the Express pilots at Mid-Atlantic.

4. PSA will upgrade 24 FO's to Capt. by the end of Dec. 02. With projected new hire FO's to exceed 35 by years end. PSA operates 28 D328's with 2 spares. 170(+-) Capts. currently on the seniority list not including final upgrade numbers and 130(+-) fo's not including new hires. PSA will be way over staffed by the new year at 340 pilots (+-)?

5. PSA MEC and PSA Merger Committee Chair meet with Mid-Atlantic Negotiating Committee to discuss seniority integration. This took place last week.

Things will happen. When, i dont know. I can guess but I dont want to. Hundreds of rj's at one carrier will not happen. I agree....However, 60 or 80 at the carriers might. Mid Atlantic will fly nothing but 70 sear rj's. This might explain why things are taking so long with their certificate. And I am sure that it takes a very long time to get everything approved by the FAA to start a new airline. They are not fast at anything else so why should this be any different. J4J sucked but it is something we all will have to accept. If you can't, then you need to find another job.

Dont underistimate the power of the whipsaw. ever since your MEC reniged on the agreement with the other two WO (remember unified now) management has been threatening PDT and ALG with all sorts of things concerinig PSA. This is how whipsawing works. "if you dont cooperate, we will give it all to them". I hope you are correct and we all end up in a shiny new airplanes, but your figures certainly dont match what the above posters said about future classes. Although at the wages your mec negotiated they certainly have set a new standard.

the Ml loa states that the first 70 rj's can go anywhere as in loa 79.
the next 70 medium rj's can go to any participating company

additional medium rj's will be placed at mda except that U may place medium rj's at other participating carriers but only if the aggregate number of such additional medium rj's in the active fleets of express other than MDA shall not exeed 150% of the number of medium rj's at MDA.

In English MDA holds the cards, our only hope is in the small rj's and that number is limited to 150 total.
and MDA can operate those also.

Last edited:
By the way, just because I will not bow down to extorsion and run like a coward for cover everytime sombody throws a threat my way, and I am ashamed not proud of becoming the new whore airline does not mean I need to look for another job. I came to the WO back when there was integrity here. If I wanted to work for Mesa or Freedom air I would apply. Maybe since you have no problem with that kind of operation maybe you should be the one to leave!

One more thing I forgot to mention in my rants. ALG also has been fed the RJ's anytime now crap from the training dept. It came to a head just prior to the vote, now? it all quite on the RJ front.

I dont know the specifics but a PDT capt. told me of their RJ implementation plan also.

You must have a different LOA than I do....mine says:

90 Seat rjs go to mainline
70 seat rjs go to mid atlantic
50 and less go to participating J4J carriers

Seigel said from day one that if you didnt play along that you would not be included in the new U. Why should he bargin with us...We are not that important. We have no barganing power.. The biggest WO has what, 500 pilots. Why do you think that there are 3 seperate WOs. Because it keeps us small enough to have no power. You are right, some fights are worth fighting, but now, with the airline industry and the economy the way it is, management holds all the cards..This is a fight that could not be won. Sometimes it is better to retreat that to fight knowing you will lose. I would not call it caving in, I call it survival. And just because someone disagrees, does not mean that they do not have integrity. I love when I am flying with people that try to fight the company on everything. The result is always the same, you get screwed in the end....this is no different.

D328Pilot is Right

D328Pilot is correct.

Its not "quite" like LOA79 since any additional RJs must be flown by participating carriers.

The next 70 RJs may go to any participating carrier. Following those 70, additional medium RJs may be added at participating carriers at a ratio with MidAtlantic growth.

While certainly the management whipsaw machine is in full force, with 465 RJs to be flown it is unlikely that any of the wholly-owneds will be left out as long as Mesa chooses not to sign on to Jets4Jobs.

Lets not let our displeasure with this course of events impact the way that we care for our customers. Ultimately the survival of US Airways depends on taking good care of the folks in back -- not on who gets the next RJs.

Just curious what exactly would it take for you to stand up and say something. obviously losing your job, and ALPA using tactics directly prohibited in their bylaws and extorsion are not enough. So please answer if you can What would ML and ALPA have to do to you before you finally said enough? It is exactly that attitude that allows all this whipsawing to take place. Management knows you and acts accordingly.

Just because they have relief for 475 RJ's does not mean they will get them. They have had releif for 70 for many moons now and as of 2 months ago they still did not operate that many.

This has nothing to do with the passengers in back, never has!

All the time while we are crawling around on our bellies hoping that the superior ML pilots will allow us to live management had the balls to go to the judge and demand the 6 mil. in bonuses because it was in their contract and they wanted to be paid. Guess what, they got it!!!!! This is the same management that put this airline in this position in the first place!

If we act like self defeated pathetic unworthy idiots we get treated that way. Here we are gentlemen Thank you sir may I have another.

328 you need to get a copy of section B and B3 of the ML TA YOur union people should have it. Make sure it isnt a doctored version.

Latest resources

Back