Problem FBO recommendations please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MX...

My opinion has always been that a good mechanic is hard to find.

My definition of a good mechanic doesn't necessarily include him calling me. In fact the best mechanics I've found are the ones that are too busy to call, I usually end up calling them first.

It would also be counterproductive if there was a problem, to be demanding or throw a fit with a mechanic I'd want to go to more than one time.

To call and check on the progress of the work is a small thing to ask of me, I feel, considering the quality of work I get from a good mechanic. I am willing to put up with minor inconveniences if his work is done right.

Everytime I have been ripped off it's been by mechanics that have called and have smiled and shaken my hand....so much for customer service and the good 'feeling' I got out of that. I would trade that stuff any day for the assurance that the mehcanical work was done well.

customer service

You know, you are all correct. It is all about C/S. And Quality. They did the inspection, listed problems. I reviewed them with them. Objected to a couple. 1. Left rear "tail" light doesn't work. Turn on the strobes. Oh, now it works. 2. Rear engine hoses need to be replaced. Look okay to me. Been more than 5 years. Okay, do it.

I agreed to everything that they said had to be done. Added 2 things. Left tire is looking a little worn. They thought it would be okay for a while, but as long as you are swinging the gear, replace the tire. They did. Torque tubes for flaps have a score in them, someone put in a wrong screw last annual. I had them also replace the Flap cables, there is some concern amongst owners about the flap cables, if you are working in that area, replace them.

First flight out of annual, gear didn't want to go up, and one of the concerns was a hydraulic leak. Got the gear down, landed, hydraulic reservoir was low.

One of their concerns was hangar rash on the trailing edge of the flaps, and while they insisted it be fixed, they did not.

Yes, I did buy the cowl flap motor. Offered them the chance to do so. Cessna wants $3000, a company in TN has PMA/STC replacements for $1700, plus $500 core.

They bought everything else.

The FBO has changed owners, and on the first day of annual, the lead IA was fired. The only other person who worked full time was an A&P. The IA that I talked to had retired, but was helping them out. I presume he signed off the log books, but since I don't have them, I don't know.

I think I have been fair, and not demanding, however I think I am being ignored, and that has me angry.

Oh, been a while since I flew last. Asked them, since they are a 141 school, to line up an instructor for some dual (another thread). After repeated phone calls, while it was in annual, I lined up another instructor. I fly with her today, assuming we have decent weather.

Last edited:
If you don't have and I assume you haven't seen the log books since the annual and they fired thier IA and you assume the retired IA you spoke to signed them off, How do you know they've been signed? They could be holding them to find somneone willing to sign them and all the while you are out flying an UNAIRWORTHY aircraft that you own and are responsible for.
Find the logbooks and determine that they have indeed had the proper entries made before flying the aircraft.

I'd agree. Make sure you find out the deal with your logbooks as soon as you want your plane.

That very much does sound like they haven't gotten an IA to sign off on it and they might be stalling as much as possible. Quite frankly, if I ran an FBO, and I was going to get rid of my only IA, I'd at least have figured something else out if I didn't already have a replacement lined up. That's just plain bad business.

As a customer, you should never be subject to the internal problems of a company.

Sounds like a bad situation in general. I'm sure that if it were me, I'd be looking for either a new shop, or to get things ironed out with this one (if you are happy with the physical work). They need to hear your concerns as well, although it sounds like they should very well know them after three calls.

Let us know how it turns out.

Dan

Thanks to all.

End results. New shop will do all future maintenance work. The place I went to I had worked with for a few years, and was a friendly place, though 50nm from where I keep my plane. Labor rate was very low. In past annuals, I was able to participate, and be involved. Since this one stretched over 9 weeks, it was not possible. New management, it's not the same place.

I complained about time spent. the bill shows 11 hours to replace rear cowl flap motor. 16 hours for run up and leak test.

When I complained to them that I had returned to home base with plane on Monday, and on Thursday no log books, they had no comment. They finally brought the log books to the airport where I keep my plane, and after many phone calls, told me where they dropped them off. At the primary FBO on my field. The folks at the FBO didn't know why they had my log books, but locked them up for the weekend. I got to retreive them on Monday, and they are properly signed. Dated the day before I left.

I have 2 issues, but they will not see my plane. I thought about this, and the fundamental problems are:

An A&P that was unfamiliar with the type of plane.
An IA that was not in attendance.
Management that had other priorities.

When we went over the list of things that the examining A&P noted as discrepencies, one of the things noted was a burned out rear nav light on the left side. I asked if they tried the strobes, because the left side light is a strobe. Inexperience by an A&P means you are paying for him to learn your type of aircraft. Given the change in management, and structure, I won't go back.

Latest resources

Back