Pilots that surf

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

qwerty

All I want to do is surf and fly to pay the bills when I'm not surfing. Is that to much to ask?
Any guys out there that have had flying jobs that afforded this lifestyle?
My career progress is slow because all of my choices have to do with the beach in mind.

sure it is possible, it was better when I lived in Guam and flew to Bali every other month.
But now that I am in the mainland, Florida when it is worth it and soon Long Island, NY.
I jumpseat back to Hawaii when I have 9 or 10 days off in a row. I have family and friends in Hawaii, so costs are low, but you can get into a room three or four blocks from Waikiki Beach for around $45 with an airline ID.
Then there is always CR if you can Non-Rev or JS.

Qwerty,

You just described my lifestyle. I fly for Island Air, I live in Oahu, if I'm not flying, I'm out surfing. If the surf is bad, then I'm kayaking, if the weather is bad, I'm watching a movie, or playing the Playstation or computer. It just doesn't get any better.

If I'm on reserve, like right now, I'm fixing the dings. I've also done this before: I checked in at work to see the likelihood of being called in. If it's low or unlikely, I'm paddling out for a couple hours while my g/f is watching the phone sitting on the beach with a pre-arranged signal to tell me that I was called to wave me in.

Oh yeah, I also upgraded to DHC-8 captain in 1 year, and this is post-9/11.

This is the place to be, my friend.

P.S. If you want to surf Honolua Bay or thereabouts, you can throw your board in the cargo bay, and write a pass or jumpseat to Kapalua. There are some sweet spots from just down the road from the airport (walking distance) all the way up to Honolua Bay - which is a little too far to walk, but maybe 10 min max by car from Kapalua airport. You can take our first flight in there at 7am, surf all day, and take the last flight out at 5:20pm. How's that for spending a day off?

qwerty said:
All I want to do is surf and fly to pay the bills when I'm not surfing. Is that to much to ask?
Any guys out there that have had flying jobs that afforded this lifestyle?
My career progress is slow because all of my choices have to do with the beach in mind.

Last edited:
qwerty:
I surf in Florida, I've been a surfer for almost thirty years, and I used to shape boards for a living. You can surf regularly and be a professional pilot.

Granted, I don't have the opportunity to surf everyday like I did when I was 18, but I surf on my days off and have a blast.

You can live almost anywhere and commute or work for a company that has domiciles in coastal areas.

I'm 40 and have more fun surfing now than ever...

Good luck!!

:cool:

If things go my way tommorrow morning, I'll be jumpseating home to Houston, and hightailin' it down to Boliver to surf Isodore's splendor, off Meacom's Peir. A front and a north wind will be cleaning it up and knockin' holes up in it. I'll be so deep up in there you might think it was rain. When Opal was were Isodore is now,we were surfing 10' clean tubes in the disgusting Golf de Mexico.

See y'all on the pond
duder

OB & PB in SAN....

if the surf is bad the "sights" make up for it-

Rosarito Beach on the Baja is also nice- lotsa UCSD, SDSU, UCLA cuties that frequent the area not to mention the "love" in TJ- lol
Surfing is good and the night life is great..

C H E E R S

3 5 0

If all you want to do is surf and pay the bills, just about any job will do it. A job as a pilot offers the chance at a respectable income though, and possibly a fabulous income.

American Eagle has a hub in San Juan. I read that most of the guys hate it, but it would be a surfers dream. Great windsurfing too. I heard American will be selling the Caribbean operation though. I know one guy who is a baggage handler in San Juan. He also owns a surf shop. Whenever the surf gets huge, he hops over to Tortola for glassy uncrowded perfection. Besides watching the weather, he can tell if a swell is on the way by the number of surfboards he unloads. Apparently there are a group of surfers with enough money and time to hop a plane whenever and wherever a swell exists.

Hawaii would be tops, but the crowds are fierce there. That was my experience at least. Lots of good surfers too who can outpaddle you for many of the waves.

The best benefit of being a pilot though would be the free/cheap travel to just about anyplace that has surf. I found my calling too late.

Do whatever you'r little heart desires. I've been skateboarding, snowboarding and biking (bmx and downhill mt.) since I can remember and still do every day. I really want to move to the water and learn to surf but I havent had the chance.

The only thing that concerns me a little with my extra curricular habits is the injury factor. Flying is my main love and if I broke a wrist skating a pool some day I'd hate to explain that one to the boss.

One of my "ex-bosses" started his 135 operation with an old AC500 (Aerocommander) with (illegal) surfboard racks behind the baggage compartment, running along inside that long tail-section.

He used to take surfers out to remote areas in the Bahamas and Puerto-Rico from south Florida, hang-out, surf and fly them back.

I'm not sure how much money he actually made from this but he's still in business with 3 402's running a more "legitimate" 135 operation. Must have been fun while it lasted!

I'm unemployed and in Hawaii. It's 0530 and I'm about to paddle out for dawn patrol. Having no job makes it easy to surf whenever you want. Hope to join Freight Dog here soon on one of those day-off jaunts to Honolua (maybe a round of golf at Kapalua to make the day interesting too). Now...about paying those bills.......

Latest resources

Back