Passengers have NO CLUE!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bunnyfufu said:
i dunno, taking off after the "loud grinding noise" probably wasn't a great idea
I'd be willing to bet big $$ the greedy pax never heard any grinding noise and only contacted the slimebag lawyers *after* someone got read the NTSB report describing the suspected problem. The incident occurred 2 years ago. Now they're suing. Ticket prices will be going up accordingly.

OK, I just read the news report. It seems the pilot was equally as uneducated (if not more) than the passengers. Taking off, despite a loud grinding noise, and then shaking the plane to make the nose wheel come out (why not just get the runway foamed)? And, after all that, he tells the passengers that they "MIGHT have a chance of surviving." That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard a pilot do. This guy should be flying freight (if at all)!

I don't agree with the lawsuit, but it seems a bad situation was only made worse...

On your comment about the "quotes" being biased. If the pilot's actual announcements were not comments that made the situation seem dire, then why were so many passengers and also the *flight attendants* so terrified?

Last edited:
You bet the ticket prices will increase. The post about the flight crew doing everything right to ensure that no one lost their lives is completely over looked.

The point of the article, I got, was that Aviation seems to be an easy target to reach into the deep pockets of the airlines. It is also easy to win such cases, when people fear what they do not know.

The airlines do not have deep pockets and these frivolous cases nip away at a very volatile transportation industry.

The passenger that freaks out when the sound of the gear extends ought to do themselves a favor and the rest of the traveling public and find another mode of transportation.

I am not saying that this lawsuit is right or wrong, but think about it from the view point of a passenger that has no aviation knowledge:

Powell said the pilot told passengers that he was going to take "evasive action" to try to shake the landing gear loose.
The passengers were instructed to put their heads down, and the plane suddenly nose-dived. When that failed to shake the gear lose, the plane was piloted swiftly from side to side.

{That certainly rocked the cabin and must have scared the hell out of passengers, what were flight attendants doing to calm the passengers}

The pilot could have explained in more detail, after the nose dive why he was shaking the airplane from side to side, from the limited information, there was no announcement.

Evasive action? Sheesh, the crew could have said something a little calmer than that

{The flight was then diverted to Mid- america Airport near Mascoutah, Ill., for an emergency landing. The pilot told the passengers to prepare for a "crash landing." }

Crash landing and evasive action, what is this "Top Gun", once again, think of this from a non aviation person.

Then, he said: "I feel we have a chance of surviving," Powell said. "I thought 'Why are you telling us this?' because that meant we might not make it."

A chance of surviving, sheesh, don't forget the people in the back are your customers....

I believe you're reading the quotes of the plaintiff and his lawyer. You don't think they'll be a little inflammatory and technically weak?

Pitching the nose up and down, yawing to try and get the nosegear to extend. Sounds good to me. I might mention the purpose for these actions though. But, refer to statement above.

So someone (FO?) on FLT 519 jumped out and pulled the chocks and they powered back, violating company procedures. That's a little hard to buy.

One thing that might be helpful on the newer equipment. how about a nice soothing little female voice that says "landing gear extending" when all the clanking and wind noise occurs? Same for turbulence... "mild turbulence has been encountered". Now when something really exciting like loosing an engine happens, in a nice sweet female voice, how about "oh, darn! - something really bad has happened to your plane! I hope your life insurance is paid up."

It would drive the experienced fliers nuts, but then you could have a silence button on your little systems monitor thing or just have it piped into the entertainment system. Kind of like listening to the com on United flights.

Maybe the lawsuit should include suing major movie studios that led this passenger to believe he was going to die.

Cheers!

GP

dmspilot00 said:
Just because of one uneducated person from Spain does not mean all passengers are clueless.

Uh, he was from Spanish Fork, UTAH. I know they do things a liitle differently in Utah but I think it's still part of the U.S.

Oh, that explains it. I thought he was a man from Spain, who maybe like sold forks or something. A Spanish Fork man. (sarcasm intended)

I apologize for my stupidity. I have edited my posts and also added an argument pertaining to the validity of the quotes of the pilot.

Latest resources

Back