Passengers have NO CLUE!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jason_CFI

Thousands of feet in the air, Anthony Powell hurriedly scribbled his final will.

The Spanish Fork man was on a commercial airliner two years ago when the landing gear failed to extend, forcing the pilot to crash land the plane on its belly in Illinois. None of the passengers was killed when the jumbo jet skidded for hundreds of yards, finally screeching to a halt on the concrete runway.

"They were all writing their wills, they thought they were going to die," said Powell's Provo attorney, Randy Spencer. "It was definitely a miracle that nobody was killed."

To read the article on this a$$-wipes sob story click here.

http://www.msnbc.com/local/SLT/M24326.asp

Another sad example of people wanting to blame everybody else for their problems. Any bets this guy had "issues" before that flight???

I know that there is one or two gear up landings involving jet and turbro-prop aircraft each year, but this is the first time I have heard of a suit about one, even though no body was injured or killed.

I agree that this is a frivolous lawsuit, but the subject line is a little harsh. I'm not sticking up for this guy, but there are plenty of subjects that I have "no clue" about. Of course I don't go out and file lawsuits based on what I don't know, either. :)

That being said, I'm not going to waste my time picking apart all the inaccuracies in this article. :) It's MSNBC sensationalistic "journalism", what do you expect?

Last edited:
I remember this.

I remember this. It was one of those "Jumbo" Boeing 717's. The NOSE GEAR wouldn't come down. The mains did. And that military base near Springfield is actually SPI.

What a tool!

They only know what the morons in mass media feed them...

You see this part?

"The lawsuit, which also names the pilot, co-pilots, flight attendants and ground crew, alleges negligence and intentional, reckless or negligent infliction of emotional distress."

Sounded to me like they all did a pretty good job.

Thank a lawyer!!

Sounded to me like they all did a pretty good job.

Well, maybe not the FA. But I guess at least she didn't panic.

Reminds me of being a pax a few years back on an Air India 747. We took off and proceeded to circle Delhi at a pretty good altitude with more nose-up attitude than usual. I figured we were preparing to go back to Delhi and sure enough, the pilot started dumping fuel. I was expecting it and pointed it out to my wife. However, the rest of the pax were not expecting this and there was sudden alarm spreading through the cabin. After about 5 minutes of this, the pilot finally came on and announced we had a "technical defect" and were dumping fuel to lose weight and would be returning to Delhi. Oh, and by the way, FA's please prepare for a forced landing. He said this over the PA, I sh!t you not. Now the cabin is really alive, people are running all over the place (where you gonna go?). People running to the bathroom, people getting all their stuff out of the overhead bins. FA's trying to get everyone back in their seats and passing out blankets. About 30 minutes later, we start descending. The captain makes a couple more comments about "technical defect", assume the position, etc. We land and everyone has their head down. Except I'm of course looking out the window to see the crash trucks, only there aren't any that I can see. I figure this is either a good sign that we don't really need them, or else this being Delhi, there aren't any. Anyway, land uneventfully but use the entire runway. I notice there was very little braking action. Then we taxi to a far apron and sit for about 3 hours in the 110+ heat. They opened the doors, but that just let all the dust in. Eventually, we all got off the plane and they put us in a hotel. Around midnight, they came back to get us and put us another plane. Finally, we were told what the technical defect was: landing gear stuck in the down position. I asked but was never told what the position indicators were showing. Ultimately landed safely back in London. While I made a mental note not to fly Air India again (actually, more due to the flight THERE which consisted of drunken, vomiting passengers), I never considered suing for emotional distress.

here's the ntsb report: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20010816X01695&key=1

i dunno, taking off after the "loud grinding noise" probably wasn't a great idea

"It was definitely a miracle that nobody was killed."
does anyone EVER die in accidents in which the nose gear fails to extend? it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to land safely on the mains and lower the nose as gently and at as slow a speed as possible...

Latest resources

Back