• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Parking break question??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've had a few military guys tell me that the they had a rule that when the a/c was not in motion the parking brake had to be set.
That's the policy at my company, and I agree with it.
It's an easy habit to develop, and a safe one.

Setting the parking brake while on an acitve runway is a s00pid thing to do.
Do it on a taxiway, ok, or where people might be able to sneak around you....not EVER while in Pos./Hold. I've had brakes seize and freeze.....mostly freeze, and it would be embarassing to tell the tower after they clear you to go....: "uhhh....actually....we're stuck here....."

Is it fair to assume that you have never flown a "big" jet (besides a simulator)?

the hazard is on a slippery runway, you could have a loss of directional control. Or like the story I heard these guys took of in a dc-10 on a slick runway with the parking brake on. when they crossed the intersecting runway which was clean they blew out all the tires.

You can argue this both ways....

The best thing to do is the same thing every time, whatever side of the arguement you end up on. Be consistent and have patterns that follow you through the process of operating the aircraft.

Nope...never flown a big jet, that's true, but I do have the rating.
But in the middle of a cold-a$$ winter in the north east, when the temps are below 0 deg. F...brake deice only works so well, and your tires start to freeze to the ground.....so much fun!

All the jobs I have had required to set the brake unless you want to move.Period. If Im expecting a few seconds on the runway, I usually dont set it. I have never heard of a brake freezing up, and so what if it did, how is that your fault? I dont think its stupid at all.

Parking Break?

All the parking breaks I've ever had resulted in the ole "stinky pinky".

If it is going to be a while ("traffic crossing down-field") I set the parking brake. If the FO is the PF (Pilot Flying), then I ask him if he wants to hold the brakes, or if he wants me to set them. About half ask me to set 'em, the other half say they'll hold them.

Anytime I am stopped on a taxiway, the brakes are set, period. That way, I can talk on my cell-phone . . . . or post on flightinfo.com

Heh-heh

Latest resources

Back