• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Parking break question??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've heard the freezing parking brake story before. What are the chances of that happening when you're holding on the rwy for 30 sec? 1 min??? Why didn't it freeze at the gate when you were boarding? How about flying in the summer? Same logic?

I've had a few military guys tell me that the they had a rule that when the a/c was not in motion the parking brake had to be set.

As far as stupid... I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

Our Mechanic has said not to set the paking brake while shutting down the engines. I say, you do your job, I'll do mine. You will only freeze the brakes if you ride the hell out of 'em. Don't ride the brakes {slow down} and you will never, let me repeat, never, FREEZE the brakes.

A lot has to do with the Take off Config button, and some CYA and CVR stuff, If pressed before takeoff and its ok, then dont set it again, all is status quo by holding the brakes, if you set it and then dont 'reconfig' and something happens the FDR/CVR will tell big brother whats up.... or just re config, but that would involve doing something more, and we are all lazy SOBs

Nope...never flown a big jet, that's true, but I do have the rating.
But in the middle of a cold-a$$ winter in the north east, when the temps are below 0 deg. F...brake deice only works so well, and your tires start to freeze to the ground.....so much fun!

The 1900 is a special case (think helmets/short bus) - those brakes have a maniacal tendency to freeze at odd moments, and we never had brake deice. Nothing like being welded to the ground despite the application of takeoff power. But......the usual scenario is a long, slow taxi in loose, deepish snow - not a brief wait on a relatively clean runway. Usually the arrival end, where every aircraft before you has shed their glycol is a pretty clean place. I'd be more than comfortable setting the brake on the runway on a snowy day.

I was told never to set it in front of the JBD.

Aside from that...isn't that kinda what it is there for? So someone doesn't have to hold the brakes?

Of course I'm just lazy and like labor saving devices like the parking brake. Oh and Spam. And my Ginsu knife set.

Last edited:
Biggest reason for not setting the parking brake at a military field is that many are single runways. Kinda sucks when you're an emergency aircraft and can't land because some yahoo just closed down the only runway with stuck brakes. On a side note: in 26+ years of flying bo-ku types of aerial machines have I ever had this scenario happen to me? Not so much (read not at all).

I too have never heard or had a brake "freeze up" on me, and so what if it did? Thats not the pilots fault. I set it if Im holding in position, and If Im stopped on a taxiway.

I was trying to land at the Kenai airport one day, and while on downwind, a Gulfstream that had been cleared for takeoff called the tower back and said he couldn't go, and suspected he had a blown tire. I looked over and saw that he had stopped maybe 300' into the takeoff roll. He hopped out found not one, but 4 blown tires.

Airport ops put some cones across the runway another 500' or so past him, then they cleared me to land on the remaining runway.

As we landed, we saw 4 black marks running most of the length of the runway, and they turned off at the same taxiway we did, then turned down the parallel taxiway and ran back to the takeoff end of the runway. Huh???

A little sluething around revealed the "rest of the story". They had aborted two takeoffs already due to an abnormal indication (something with bleed air if I recall) It would seem after the first abort, while they sat in the runup area talking about the problem, the brakes stuck. They didn't notice. They tried the second takeoff, but it didn't go too well. This is when they left the black marks all the way down the runway. So, they taxied back and tried a third time, and this is when all the tires decided they had had enough.

Oh, there was no snow or ice, it was a nice warm spring day.

True story!!!

They had aborted two takeoffs already due to an abnormal indication (something with bleed air if I recall) It would seem after the first abort, while they sat in the runup area talking about the problem, the brakes stuck.

After an aborted takeoff, you'd think they would go somewhere where they could chock the plane, release the brakes, and dig out the charts for cooling times . .. .. `

Latest resources

Back