• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Parking break question??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you set parking brakes when told Position and Hold or it's against company policy to do it on the runway?

Oh yes, it's black and white. Don't you know that?

I've never seen a company policy that even remotely addresses that (and I've seen I lot company policies) sounds like you have a check airmen or captain grasping for straws

Do you set parking brakes when told Position and Hold or it's against company policy to do it on the runway?

i cant possible find a reason that one way would be better than the other? tower doesn't often give you a time you will be holding on the runway. but then again i guess you should be paying attention and ready to go. sometimes i set it sometimes i dont. it could also depend on equipment.

Yes!

Yes it's true.

The parking brake solves more problems in the aviation industry than any other device in the cockpit.

Funny parking brake story. When I was very young 18 or 19 I used to drop parachute jumpers out of a C-206 and as a procedure we used to set the P/B so that the jumpers could stand on the wheel as they gathered out of the A/C. Well, I forgot to take the P/B off one time. It was the shortest landing I have ever made and I found out on my next paycheck how expensive airplane tires really are.
You never get a break from the boss, even if it is your father

Setting the parking brake while on an acitve runway is a s00pid thing to do.
Do it on a taxiway, ok, or where people might be able to sneak around you....not EVER while in Pos./Hold. I've had brakes seize and freeze.....mostly freeze, and it would be embarassing to tell the tower after they clear you to go....: "uhhh....actually....we're stuck here....."

Setting the parking brake while on an acitve runway is a s00pid thing to do.
Do it on a taxiway, ok, or where people might be able to sneak around you....not EVER while in Pos./Hold. I've had brakes seize and freeze.....mostly freeze, and it would be embarassing to tell the tower after they clear you to go....: "uhhh....actually....we're stuck here....."

I've heard the freezing parking brake story before. What are the chances of that happening when you're holding on the rwy for 30 sec? 1 min??? Why didn't it freeze at the gate when you were boarding? How about flying in the summer? Same logic?

I've had a few military guys tell me that the they had a rule that when the a/c was not in motion the parking brake had to be set.

As far as stupid... I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

Latest resources

Back