• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Hiring scoop???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please explain this one.....What benefit would us furloughed guys going away be to NWA?

Hi Baja,

Not a benefit to NWA, but to NWA ALPA. The union is basically tired of dealing with the furloughed guys/gals. Don't get me wrong--I think they try, but they have a pretty tough hand to balance out all concerns (albeit skewed heavily towards the senior guys/gals). We complicate things for them in how to apply awards, how much negotiating capital to spend on trying to achieve some of our goals. All of those difficulties go away once we go away. That soon will happen as the number of pilots accepting recall is really low (well below their expectations) from the last remaining holdouts.

My beef is that I (and most junior/furloughed guys/gals feel the same way) feel that our union has cut the chord on us. They have granted contractual relief on staffing several times with the company which has either resulted in more furloughs or lengthened the furloughed times of others. Now that we are forced with a come back to really sub-standarad pay conditions on the bottom or resign our seniority, the union has done nothing to help our situation. The fact that we have so many electing not to return is shameful. The union really could have done a better job of creating pay (in light of circumstances) where we could have returned at livable wages. In light of the current staffing crisis, there is no doubt that company intentionally let this happen and the most plausible reason is that they will continue to outsource our flying to Compass, Pinnacle, Mesaba. There will be a lot of stagnation if not flow down to Compass.

In the end though, you have to play the hand you are dealt. You can only look forward. My best to you!

Backer

Be that as it may, be advised that you could very possibly wind up at Compass, and that the current work envrionment is toxic.

Unless you can drive to work in MEM, DTW or MSP, I would plan on using it as a stepping stone only.

Nu

I just sent Compass a Dear John email for an August 8th class. It was actually a tough decision, because I can drive to MSP (5 hrs but still). Currently commuting to E. Coast. Sooo, for me, flowing down to Compass as a NWA newbie would still be better than clawing and scratching my way up as a Compass hire. I'm painting the worst case scenario here of course.

I'll be applying when it opens . . .

With re: to flowback to Compass or XJ, if it happens, would a person go into the left or right seat?

Looking to the future is why I even started the thread. CAL and NWA lists are comparable with seniority movement in the next 10 years. Even with age 65, NWA will be losing many of its pilots in the next 10-15 years. You may even be able to upgrade in 5-10 at NWA, of course it all depends on where future jet orders are placed.

For those in the know...please keep us wannabe's in the loop. I look forward to moving north again.

Does anyone have any idea of when the snapbacks start to occur, and how much.

Other than being on the inside, where can you get an idea of what the seniority lists are? Is this published somewhere?

With re: to flowback to Compass or XJ, if it happens, would a person go into the left or right seat?

It would make sense to flow to the left seat at XJ. The flowbacks would have been around for what...5 minutes? Have fun with the 7-8 year XJ FO's.

I don;t now how much more management can beat down the NWA employment group anymore. NWA should actually be in better financial shape than delta right now, however, the labor turmoil is probably going to make them fall way short of the $1.77 billion to beat mark.

My buddy at NWA said that they're either buying the "C" aircraft from Bomardier or the Boeing 100 seat product which will be out in either 2010 or 2012 (he couldn't remember which).

NuGuy, if you're at NWA, something weird is going on, because the info you're getting is opposite of what has been told to me buddy.

Anyone else with info on the DC-9 replacement?

Then your buddy is living in Denial, not Michigan. There is not DC-9 replacement, and the only thing hinted is that the company is only talking to Bombardier.

Bombardier's best guess on delivery is 2013. Meanwhile, NWA is parking 319s and DC-9s every month THIS year.

On top of that ANY DC-9 replacement has significantly lower pay than the DC-9 itself, thanks to the new TA. That's little tidbit is usually left out of the wide body press releases.

Nu

Then your buddy is living in Denial, not Michigan. There is not DC-9 replacement, and the only thing hinted is that the company is only talking to Bombardier.

Bombardier's best guess on delivery is 2013. Meanwhile, NWA is parking 319s and DC-9s every month THIS year.

On top of that ANY DC-9 replacement has significantly lower pay than the DC-9 itself, thanks to the new TA. That's little tidbit is usually left out of the wide body press releases.

Nu

In what part of the contract are the pay rates for those DC9 replacement a/c. I haven't seen them.

Hi!

He said that Boeing approached NWA and told them of their 100 seat aircraft plans, and that it'd be ready in either 2010 or 2012-he could'nt remember which date he'd been told.

He also said that the payrates WOULD be lower than the -9 (for whichever A/C NWA buys), but that, basically, the planes wouldn't be ready until after the current contract ends, so he thought new rates would be negotiated before the planes were on property.

cliff
YIP

PSObviously, all the above could be wrong. However, NWA does need a replacement for the 100-130 or so seat DC-9s, and a 74 seat aircraft doesn't do that so well.

In what part of the contract are the pay rates for those DC9 replacement a/c. I haven't seen them.

You will find these rates on page 3-11 of your CBA. I took a 10 year CA, as that is probably to most junior captain on property. Read it and weep:

A320: 134.88
DC-9: 121.84
101-110 seat replacement: 111.11
EMB195: 100.19
77-100 seat replacement: 94.74

JB should be refusing jumpseats for how much WE'VE lowered the bar.

I don't understand why you think NWA needs a replacement 100 (or even 125) seater. How many does CAL have? DAL? AMR? Smallest thing I see at their shop is in the 150 seat range.

Nu

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back