Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB Recommends Changes In Crew Sched., Comm Proced.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I personally like how the NTSB is vague about the fatigue issue, but recommends better response time by rescue personel to accidents caused by fatigue issues. Typical government response. Don't prevent the crash, just get better at putting out the fire. Classic.....

-Spartacus

Who knows? Maybe they're deliberately being vague to try and effect ANY change, however small.

It seems that reams of data and incontrovertible evidence isn't translating to much needed (and costly) duty time regulatory changes. And this after at least a decade of the NTSB trying.

Baby steps, perhaps?

NTSB Recommends.

FAA Ignores.

Airlines conduct business as usual.

Who thinks that this cycle is going to change anytime soon? Nothing, NOTHING will change until there is blood and body parts strewn all over the streets and it's the lead story on CNN and FOX.

And the company managers will say "But it's up to the individual pilot to determine if he's fatigued or not. It's not our fault!!"

Last edited:
NTSB Recommends.

FAA Ignores.

Airlines conduct business as usual.

Who thinks that this cycle is going to change anytime soon? Nothing, NOTHING will change until there is blood and body parts strewn all over the streets and it's the lead story on CNN and FOX.

And the company managers will say "But it's up to the individual pilot to determine if he's fatigued or not. It's not our fault!!"

Draginass I wish that were the case. Even if this happens they will blame the pilot and sweep it under the rug. I do think it would be a good time for all the union to get together and have a propaganda machine running full bore to inform and scare the public. The faa already has a black eye. Perfect timing.

Yes, it was! :laugh:

BigMeat, we have to get together for beer and paintball again one of these days! :beer:

Sounds like a plan! Remember getting cornered by 10 guys when your the last person standing and you know its going to be a world of hurt!? I never gave up...I fought to the end!

Draginass I wish that were the case. Even if this happens they will blame the pilot and sweep it under the rug. I do think it would be a good time for all the union to get together and have a propaganda machine running full bore to inform and scare the public. The faa already has a black eye. Perfect timing.

Hell, even PILOTS blame the pilots.

While the NTSB specifically cited the recent Mesa/Go! Hawaiian overflight as a further example as to why these rules MUST be revisited, on this very board it turned mostly into an open season on deriding Mesa pilots.

"We must hang together, or we will all certainly hang separately", eh?

Sounds like a plan! Remember getting cornered by 10 guys when your the last person standing and you know its going to be a world of hurt!? I never gave up...I fought to the end!

All you can do at that point is pick one to punish mercilessly.

Hell, even PILOTS blame the pilots.

While the NTSB specifically cited the recent Mesa/Go! Hawaiian overflight as a further example as to why these rules MUST be revisited, on this very board it turned mostly into an open season on deriding Mesa pilots.

"We must hang together, or we will all certainly hang separately", eh?

great point!
at some point we have to ask why we put up w/ it? Why are we ALL so willing to gut it out? Tradition?
I'll tell you what though-- you'll never have an argument as long as it's legal for a turboprop to fly 20% more than a jet-- all while being much much harder to build hours w/ all the short hops. I won't even get started on rest rules for 135 unsched's.

Then everyone would be commuting from the farthest point they can think of (or certainly the cheapest). It's a slippery slope.

So make it part of the schedule. Everything is a slippery slope. If we let that be the reason to deny changes then nothing will ever get accomplished.

Why not also include yard work, work in another profession, diaper changing, or anything else that requires you to be seated and awake.
Because that has nothing to do with working, getting to work, etc.

What you do on your time off is your business. Getting to work rested has always been the pilot's responsibility.

There are a lot of things that are different now than they were back in the day. Twenty years ago you didn't have to worry about catching an open flight. Most flights had plenty of seats. And your domicile didn't move constantly, as with some of the smaller regional airlines, where they don't compensate you for moving expenses until you've been there for 20 years (nevermind the fact that 98% of their pilots only stay 2-5 years.)

You may change your mind when you're flying a widebody and your "commute" takes you trans-oceanic, or your domicile is moved 5 times in 3 years and your pregnant wife has to pack up your house and the 2 kids and move by herself each time because your "extra" time is consumed with your commute.

Package it however you like, but there need to be a few checks and balances to compensate for the abuse going on - especially now that half of the perks, including the jumpseat, have been either minimized or taken away altogether.

How is everyone going to feel when a 12 hour duty day results in more days at work and fewer days off?

Be careful what you wish for....

Any mention of pilot experience? We will probably get some more "recipe flying" out of this.....while the biggest problem - experience....is ignored.....

Max duty day at AirTran is 12 hours and I usually get 17 days off a month with 87 hours credit.....Not too bad

Latest resources

Back