• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New letter from Airtran's Joe Leonard regarding Midwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very interesting letter. This is why I don't understand the Midwest MEC not staying neutral. If this plan was put into effect, post merger all at Midwest would gain substantially. 215 daily flights out of MKE alone, just short of the 245 flights a day currently in Atlanta. 264 new pilot jobs in MKE and 396 new flight attendant jobs. 66 mechanic jobs and so on. Listening to the locals, how could this not benefit the city of MKE? It appears on paper AirTran is putting their cards on the table. Very interesting plan. It will be interesting to see how the MIdwest shareholders vote going forward.

Very interesting letter. This is why I don't understand the Midwest MEC not staying neutral. If this plan was put into effect, post merger all at Midwest would gain substantially. 215 daily flights out of MKE alone, just short of the 245 flights a day currently in Atlanta. 264 new pilot jobs in MKE and 396 new flight attendant jobs. 66 mechanic jobs and so on. Listening to the locals, how could this not benefit the city of MKE? It appears on paper AirTran is putting their cards on the table. Very interesting plan. It will be interesting to see how the MIdwest shareholders vote going forward.

Because it's in the MEH MEC best interest to back MEH. Nothing to lose from that stand. A Neutral stand and MEH wins out and no merger there is poor mojo between the company and ALPA forever. A neutral stand and AAI wins out, what is lost? Eventually the MEH pilots will be combined into the post merger seniority list. What is Joe going to do seek out each individual pilot to make their life hell? I don't see why the AAI pilots take the MEC's stand personal? It has nothing to do with the two pilot groups relationship. It's the MEC looking at the most likely scenarios and seeing which stand will cause the least amount of friction for the group down the road. If this deal does go through the MEC's stand should have no bearing on what happens henceforth. If somehow the roles got reversed I would expect the NPA to back AAI's management. It's the least harmful position to the pilots no matter the result.

Tim laid out the entire business plan to the MEC and they have always in the past been completely unimpressed to say the least. Since Tim has met with the MEC their attitude is completely different. We have our contract negotiations soon enough and if the MEC didn't back our management and our management wins this battle what price are the pilots of MEH going to pay for that?

I'm sure there is some self perservation in ALPA's decision but knowing the MEC it would be negligible.

I also think "if its all legit and I think it is since they filed it with the security exchange" its very impressive, 215 flights out of MKE, more jobs and keeping the training center, reservation center and hanger is great. Lets hope for the best.

You guys believe everything joe says. Man, he must have a lucky group of employees.The ME mec would probably support a merger if there is a date of hire integration, with hardly 400 guys it would not have a big impact, vs having 2000 integrate.. Maybe T.H. gave the MEC some inside look what plans they have with Midwest, that will hardly share with the competition.

yeah... contract RJ service....some insight.... This MEH AAI deal would be good for both companies..... ATL boys will not head up nord... and the MKE folks wont head south..... period.

I used to think they were full of it at AirTran.. 6 yrs ago.. I will tell you this.. If they say they something .. they mean it ... and act on it.. have yet to see smoke and mirrors.. lofty goals that were not attainable.. and crazy growth plans with hair brain planning... We may be cheap.. but 'they' do what they say...... (contract talks aside...of course)

The ME mec would probably support a merger if there is a date of hire integration, with hardly 400 guys it would not have a big impact, vs having 2000 integrate..

Date of hire?

Remind me not to drink soda when I'm reading your posts, because it just shot out of my nose!

Based on initial talks between unions, relative seniority with fences.

If Midwest gets date of hire, your attorney earned every penny.

Date of hire?

Remind me not to drink soda when I'm reading your posts, because it just shot out of my nose!

Based on initial talks between unions, relative seniority with fences.

If Midwest gets date of hire, your attorney earned every penny.

We've lock up the best in the business but no way in hell could he even come close to DOH.

Because it's in the MEH MEC best interest to back MEH. Nothing to lose from that stand. A Neutral stand and MEH wins out and no merger there is poor mojo between the company and ALPA forever. A neutral stand and AAI wins out, what is lost? Eventually the MEH pilots will be combined into the post merger seniority list. What is Joe going to do seek out each individual pilot to make their life hell? I don't see why the AAI pilots take the MEC's stand personal? It has nothing to do with the two pilot groups relationship. It's the MEC looking at the most likely scenarios and seeing which stand will cause the least amount of friction for the group down the road. If this deal does go through the MEC's stand should have no bearing on what happens henceforth. If somehow the roles got reversed I would expect the NPA to back AAI's management. It's the least harmful position to the pilots no matter the result.

Tim laid out the entire business plan to the MEC and they have always in the past been completely unimpressed to say the least. Since Tim has met with the MEC their attitude is completely different. We have our contract negotiations soon enough and if the MEC didn't back our management and our management wins this battle what price are the pilots of MEH going to pay for that?

I'm sure there is some self perservation in ALPA's decision but knowing the MEC it would be negligible.
Sir I asked why not stay neutral? From what Midwest presented to the Security and Exchange, their business plan is based off growing with 50-seat RJs. They will ad 2, again (TWO) MD-80s. AirTran proposes over 50 new 737-700 aircraft that are under FIRM ORDER! I don't know what Midwest promised your MEC, staying neutral makes a big statement to the Midwest management and works to the pilots advantage either way. So your negotiations are coming up soon, do you think because you threw a bone at your management they are going to give you the sky in negotiations? You may have had more bargaining power with your management had you just stayed neutral. (MAKE THEM GIVE YOU SOMETHING FIRST FOR THAT SUPPORT) Either way does not matter to me. Good luck to us all!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back