• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Delta TA 06/2015

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
what are the details on scope? Please don't trade away planes for a fat paycheck.

It's embarassing DL has full 3 hour RJ flights.

eeyuppp-included in these "minor concessions" they gave up RJ limits of 900 miles as well as 25 additional 76ers. "Oh but we'll park 50 fifty seaters" LOL-as though those things weren't going away already. Look for the new 76ers flying between NYC-MSP-ATL-SLC. Zero hub-hub restrictions. PCLumberg is too too blinded (or too dumb, you decide) by the shiny objects management is throwing down to not see the massive concessions written about on the other forum.

Last edited:
You tell me to research it and then make this statement? Look at the European up-gauge angle PCL. The JV partners can move to larger equipment as needed with no downside for them. Swap a A340 out for a A380? Sure, this TA will allow it. I guess as a former ALPA Exec you don't mind the synthetic outsourcing on the top for a few E190's on the bottom....oh yea, and more 76 seaters!

What you describe is the only scenario in which EASKs is a better metric than block-hours. What you fail to acknowledge is that when the transatlantic market contracts (and it will), DAL pilots are better off using block-hours instead of EASKs. So which model is better is nothing but a gamble. And either way, the difference is miniscule.

You also ignore the problems of tracking and enforceability (much easier with block-hours), and the fact that pilot jobs are directly tied to block-hours, not seat-kilometers.

Whichever way you go, there are upsides and downsides. Overall, though, block-hours makes a lot more sense than EASKs.

Why ALPA would be giving any concessions during this unbelievably profit time period is beyond me.

Again, not a concession. But a negotiation is a process of give and take, and while labor will get more than it gives in good times like now. you still have to address some of management's issues, otherwise the NMB turns against you and you're toast.

Ask yourself this...Why would RA want to reduce the Profit Sharing if it wasn't a good deal for him? The answer is because it's going to be a GREAT deal for him over the next 2-3 years. Yet another concession.

RA wants to swap profit sharing for pay rates because pay rates are predictable and something he can tell the shareholders with certainty. Businesses, especially publicly traded ones, like predictable costs. But it's also better for pilots, because profit sharing disappears immediately in bad times, while pay rates have to be negotiated. Why any pilot would prefer variable compensation over hard compensation is absolutely beyond me.

This goes back to ALPA needing to make the best deal they can first and NOT biting off on something mediocre. When they do this, then Bill is exactly right.

I would say that the highest total compensation package in the history of the profession is far from "mediocre."

That said, someone emailed me a copy of the language in tracked changes, and I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, so maybe my opinion will change after I have a chance to look. But since I'm a little busy on weekdays nowadays, it will take a while. :)

I'm going to get to a road show and hear the story. A lot of the rumors are DPAhole bravado spooling up the masses. It isn't as bad as I read the TA. Sure, there are concessions because this is a negotiation. Some F/Os will take it in the shorts with the LCA bidding, I can see that. The sick leave isn't as ominous as it was made out to be. It was meant to crack down on the clowns who bang out sick for a 12 day trip, then white slip into another one the next day and they do it all year long...or get a doctors note for every sick event so they can stay home for 240 hours.

All should vote what works for them.

Send it back and we could face RA with a new set of demands. Nothing in the TA is retained, this is not a line item veto trick. He can meet with us one day a month like UPS and slow roll this out and then we pray for the NMB to take us. They are backed up with 30+ airline and railroad disputes so this could go on for a few years. Hell, Southwest has been in negotiations since we were in working on Contract 2012....UPS/FEDex included....the NMB won't be impressed by how profitable my company is so that is no argument at that table. "So you mean to tell us you were offered the highest pay and PWA in the industry (sans Pension-thanks Jerry)and you turned it down because you wanted more?" Good luck with that argument.

This wasn't the best deal but its the deal we have. I'm going to a road show and talk to the reps and get some clarity on this thing but our alternatives are grim considering that no President will allow an airline of this scope to strike. This isn't 1998 anymore.....we don't hold the ultimate self-help leverage. Anybody who thinks we hold the leverage is fooling themselves.

Vote early vote often

Ohhhhhh Bill, the alternatives are Grimm? Living with a good contract now and having larger profit sharing checks? Get a grip man! Did you go to the ATL roadshow today? Apparent it was very LOUD. Did you learn anything? Looks like there are a lot of upset people, and social media is helping to get people to look at the Tentative agreement. Are you a P2P volunteer btw? You sound like it. And I bet you buy a used car at the dealership's first offer, primarily because the other options are just horrible. You don't just walk away, you accept a deal.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Fat? it's an 8% pay raise after giving back PS.

And then add hits to sick leave, the Joint Ventures, and QOL issues like Line Check Airman trips being taken out of the trip pool before most could bid them.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Ohhhhhh Bill, the alternatives are Grimm? Living with a good contract now and having larger profit sharing checks? Get a grip man! Did you go to the ATL roadshow today? Apparent it was very LOUD. Did you learn anything? Looks like there are a lot of upset people, and social media is helping to get people to look at the Tentative agreement. Are you a P2P volunteer btw? You sound like it. And I bet you buy a used car at the dealership's first offer, primarily because the other options are just horrible. You don't just walk away, you accept a deal.

Bye Bye---General Lee

OMG. I agree with the General.

Regardless of what PCL tries to spin, here's what it boils down too...

Where are the real gains?

Pay rates? They look good initially but of course a good percentage (6%) are funded with PS givebacks. Read what the General posted above. Why worry about Profit Sharing money when it's good now?

The rest is concessionary. Well there is a 1% increase in B-fund, and that attractive nickel added to Per Diem. That's pathetic.

ALPA should be ashamed. This is a turd and Donatelli looks like an idiot after the verbose video he released.

I'll ask again........WHERE ARE THE GAINS?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Nope....just a pilot who asked his rep some questions and is reading the TA and went to the road show. Even reasoning with you is against my moral judgement GL because your advice on anything on FI is usually flawed and misguided. BTW, the internet is always a grrrrrreat and reliable source for information. I was there in ATL and it wasn't like what you describe.

Funny you ask, Flew with a P2P guy last week and he told me good and bad about this thing. Very candid about the downside and the F/O bidding stuff. Some good info from those guys.

As far as your car dealer comment. A car salesman can smell a guy like you who buys on emotion rather than rational thinking. You make him happy.

OMG. I agree with the General.

Regardless of what PCL tries to spin, here's what it boils down too...

Where are the real gains?

Pay rates? They look good initially but of course a good percentage (6%) are funded with PS givebacks. Read what the General posted above. Why worry about Profit Sharing money when it's good now?

The rest is concessionary. Well there is a 1% increase in B-fund, and that attractive nickel added to Per Diem. That's pathetic.

ALPA should be ashamed. This is a turd and Donatelli looks like an idiot after the verbose video he released.

I'll ask again........WHERE ARE THE GAINS?

Red, how long have you been negotiating? If you really were the heroes you think you are, we could pattern off of your time in neutral for thepast 3+ years. You get get your house straight first before criticizing mine.

Red, how long have you been negotiating? If you really were the heroes you think you are, we could pattern off of your time in neutral for thepast 3+ years. You get get your house straight first before criticizing mine.

Seriously Bill?

Thanks for making my point. Yes, we could have been done two years ago.....if we had bought off on the company turd they floated. Sound familiar?

You never answered. Where are the gains?

Red has never negotiated anything. He's your typical bomb thrower who stands on the sidelines and pretends that he's an expert without ever having to put up or shut up.

Just give it a few years. In 3-5 years, his beloved SWAPA will have a TA with pay rates lower than DAL, code share giveaways, and still just a 401k match.

Latest resources

Back