New AGE limit discussion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ABSOLUTELY YES!!

Do you really think that these guys are going to exit gracefully at 65 when they didn't exit gracefully at 60?
Of course they'll claim discrimination. Well, I also claim discriminatation. I don't need no stinking 8 hours of rest. I don't need 30 hour weekly/100 hour monthly limitation. That's discrimination against those of us who don't need as much sleep or rest. I'm sick and tired of this discrimination; if they raise the retirement age, they damned well better allow us to fly unlimited amounts of time daily/weekly/monthly/yearly.

Andy...I think you're all "getting whipped up" over nothing...and I mean that in the sense that there just is not the fervor in the movement that there was for age 60. You would know if it was passed in the dead of night, because you followed it very closely on Capitol Hill. But that "dead of the night" movement had its beginnings 20 to 30 years earlier, and had almost passed muster several times, before being pushed back successfully by you and others. Had it passed back in the 90's, the pain and suffering would not have been nearly as noticeable as it is under this current economic environment. And YES...I do understand that there has been much pain and suffering. But I think that to say there is another imminent and strong push for 65+....I just don't see it. The medicare and SS gaps were effectively taken care of for those whose pensions were decimated.

Also, to imply (if that's what you're doing) that these new rest rules and limitations that are coming down the pike are to compensate for the over 60 crowd...really? Those upcoming changes, which I have serious problems with anyway, were pushed thru for another whole different issue, and probably still won't "fix" whatever it is that they were designed to fix. :confused: Just don't burn the whole house down yet... Down the road aways, when I turn 60, I don't think I'll need no stinking 8 hours of rest either, but it is what it is.

Anyway, back to the issue...I just don't see the push for 65+...it's just not there, as it was for 60+. ;)

Nothing new about that

Vetrider, many of them claimed that they'd retire at 62. Didn't happen.

Back when the max age was 60, many claimed that they were going at 57 or thereabouts. Didn't happen (at least, not until lump sums were in jeopardy). When the papers are right in front of you, the pen suddenly weighs a hundred pounds. It's human nature to put off a decision that, once made, cannot be reconsidered.

Anyway, back to the issue...I just don't see the push for 65+...it's just not there, as it was for 60+. ;)

I have a feeling it's there just fine, except it's even more underhanded and insidious than last time.

Based on your age (late 60s) and Jerry Springer redneck attitude, shouldn't you be playing with your great grandchildren instead of instilling your wisdom on all us aerodrome "whippersnappers"?
Don't have any of those G G kids yet, but it is my duty to instill wisdom. That is the role of the experienced. It is also the role of the inexperienced to gain from the distribution of wisdom. However as is normally the case, it is ignored. But that is life.

BTW I found that my mom and dad got a lot smarter as I got older.

Plain and simple...just a moron!

There you go parrot- all pure "greedy old ********************s" nothing more
Standard boomer

You guys are so cool and witty, that why it is so easy to hurl insults and names when you hide behind a screen name

You really need some new material.
Oh! you mean new material like, "It is not fair that these guys get to stay to 65 when they should have retired at 60" or "These old guy are unsafe, and should be banned from the cockpit" or "I have paid my dues, and I should be a Captain by now" You those kind of new material

Last edited:
Also, to imply (if that's what you're doing) that these new rest rules and limitations that are coming down the pike are to compensate for the over 60 crowd...really? Those upcoming changes, which I have serious problems with anyway, were pushed thru for another whole different issue, and probably still won't "fix" whatever it is that they were designed to fix. :confused: Just don't burn the whole house down yet... Down the road aways, when I turn 60, I don't think I'll need no stinking 8 hours of rest either, but it is what it is.

No, that was just poorly worded sarcasm on my part to deflect the discrimination card. The over 65 crowd will play the age discrimination card; I was playing the rest discrimination card ...
Safety rules are there for a reason. The rest rules are there for safety, as is the mandatory retirement age.

While many approaching 65 will attest how they're better pilots than they were 20 years ago - better vision, more stamina, smarter, sharper, stronger, etc - I find that incredibly hard to believe. I'm amazed at how many who are pushing for increasing the age limit once again make themselves sound like real life Benjamin Buttons (probably including looking like Brad Pitt in their mind's eye).
Age 60 was put in place for safety. One can make sinister comments besmirching Quesada's relationship with CR Smith and soil both of their reputations with unfounded accusations but Quesada's staff chose 60 in spite of some members of the committee favoring 55 as a mandatory retirement age.
I will grant that there have been medical advances and healthier living choices made over the intervening years that make 65 possible. But I have also seen older flight engineers, some of which I wasn't sure would be able to find their car in the parking lot, much less even find the employee parking lot. I have no doubt that, given the choice, many will want to stay in the left seat well past the time that they become unsafe. That's why we must have a mandatory retirement age. It isn't for the ones that can competently pilot an aircraft well into their 80s; it's there to eliminate those that are bordering on unsafe. Just as the rest rules are there to ensure that those that need more rest are able to get an appropriate amount of rest.

Age 60 was put in place for safety. One can make sinister comments besmirching Quesada's relationship with CR Smith and soil both of their reputations with unfounded accusations but Quesada's staff chose 60 in spite of some members of the committee favoring 55 as a mandatory retirement age.
And remember ALPA fought this ruling up until about 1972 attempting to get it repealed.

BTW from what I have read, this was passed so CR could get rid of his higher paid pre-WWII pilots.

And remember ALPA fought this ruling up until about 1972 attempting to get it repealed.

BTW from what I have read, this was passed so CR could get rid of his higher paid pre-WWII pilots.

Yip, just because ALPA fought it doesn't mean that age 60 wasn't there for safety reasons. I read quite a few of the medical committee reports; they went through a LOT of data in order to come up with their recommendation. To say that this was merely a backroom deal is insulting to that board of medical professionals who arrived at that decision.

As far as CR wanting to get rid of higher paid pilots ... I've also read that we've got the UFO from the Roswell incident in a hangar at Wright Patt. Just because you or I read something doesn't make it true.

Latest resources

Back