• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My AA jumpseater

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a DAL 7ER Captain and don't care what the guy says as long as he doesn't offend me.

I think that is the point everyone here is making. They are offended that a jumpseater has the attitude that they are entitled to the JS. It has been and always will be the Captain's JS. Ask for it, never assume it's yours.

The condition of this industry and the sacrifices employees have made since 9/11 are pushing some people to the brink.

I'm giving everyone a pass these days.

Good luck to us all.

Never let this industry push you to the "brink".
What?
You didn't know the airlines were political, management scoundrels, ticket-prices elastic as hell, and the career very unstable? It's been that way for 30 years.

Do what's right, but never let this job or any job take your happiness. You're only pissing off yourself the most, and your innocent co-workers---

We have bigger issues that jumpseating-- if someone's borderline or crosses the line-- set him/her straight in a professional way-- But don't get dramatic.

Be a professional

I am a nice guy, really. Thats why I didn't say something to this AA guy. But I have been a commuter for 15 years and I know that as a jump seater myself, I am "asking for a ride", a free ride. I always ask the captain for a ride home, or, to work. Even if I have been issued a ticket for a seat in the cabin I always ask for his or her "OK". It's a professional courtesy.
This is what is not "OK", as the first thing out of your mouth; "I guess I am sitting up here". This was a senior international guy, not some greenhorn(although we all know there are no greenhorns at AA these days). There was no, hello, my name is...............I am with---- . The next time this happens my response is going to be something that sets him or her back on their heels. ie. Find another way home.

As nice as you believe yourself to be, I'm thinking you should reconsider your position here. After all, you have determined that the professional response to this jumpseater's words is to send him packing. When did it become professional to respond negatively toward someone who is unprofessional? At that, were his words really so inappropriate?

Here he is, mind and body still awake on the backside of the clock, assuming he has a ride home. What's wrong with that? We all agree that the jumpseat is a privilege and not a right, but it is a privilege that has been handed out quite liberally. Why? Because professional pilots look out for one another!

We should remember that our companies are footing the bill, not us. So why would we hesitate in helping one another? At our discretion we can offer our bagel or roll, or something else that demonstrates our selflessness. But to hold the jumpseat above someone based on a poor greeting - that is an insecure and selfish act on your part sir.

Guess I'm sitting up here? That's pitiful, totally unprofessional.

How about......"I'm guessing you are wrong" or "Well my friend, you guessed wrong....try again"

I don't care what the culture 'might' be at AA regarding jumpseats ...

It's been said MANY times before ... jumpseating is a privilege. End of story. To act with a sense of entitlement demonstrates an intellectual defect and unmitigated arrogance.

The AA pilot mentioned is NOT representative of what I have experienced when they present on my aircraft. Without exception they have been polite and appreciative.

Let's hope this AA pilot was simply having a bad day.
You may have not noticed but its not the Capt's J/S anymore. Just ask the company or union...

Quarterly thread on poor jumpseating etiquette ..... Check.

Wow TC! Defending the nAAtives..... I never thought i'd see the day!

TV--I just call 'em like I see 'em. Besides, there's enough j@ckoffs out there, I don't need to go hunting for them. ;)

AA73--Thanks for the compliment...I think. :D TC

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back