My AA jumpseater

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

macdu

I am a nice guy, really. Thats why I didn't say something to this AA guy. But I have been a commuter for 15 years and I know that as a jump seater myself, I am "asking for a ride", a free ride. I always ask the captain for a ride home, or, to work. Even if I have been issued a ticket for a seat in the cabin I always ask for his or her "OK". It's a professional courtesy.
This is what is not "OK", as the first thing out of your mouth; "I guess I am sitting up here". This was a senior international guy, not some greenhorn(although we all know there are no greenhorns at AA these days). There was no, hello, my name is...............I am with---- . The next time this happens my response is going to be something that sets him or her back on their heels. ie. Find another way home.

"I guess you're not"
That easy.

This is what is not "OK", as the first thing out of your mouth; "I guess I am sitting up here".
Apparently it is, because you let him. He sat in your seat for the entire ride, and you didn't say anything? Instead you come here and hit the bold button to really emphasize how important it is to you. Are you hoping he reads this?

"I guess I am sitting up here".

I get that from a lot of jumper seaters. I do not think they mean disrespect . I think it is just an ice breaker and a way to say hi. JMO...

I wonder if this is the same guy: A few years ago when I was a young green co-pilot we had an AA guy who came into the cockpit and said something like "I'm Joe Blow with AA." Captain says the "back is wide open, help yourself to a seat." AA guy says "no, I'm gonna sit up here today." Capt doesn't even look up from the weather brief he is reading and says "I don't think so, get off the jet." I think about that every time I politely ask for the js.

MCDU--In the guy's defense, that's the phrase most Natives use when entering the cockpit on AA aircraft.

It's basically telling the crew that there are no seats in the back and he's forced to sit up front. So, it's another cultural thing at AA. TC

I don't care what the culture 'might' be at AA regarding jumpseats ...

It's been said MANY times before ... jumpseating is a privilege. End of story. To act with a sense of entitlement demonstrates an intellectual defect and unmitigated arrogance.

The AA pilot mentioned is NOT representative of what I have experienced when they present on my aircraft. Without exception they have been polite and appreciative.

Let's hope this AA pilot was simply having a bad day.

This kind of situation happens with pilots from all airlines occasionally. I'm sorry yours just happened to be associated with an AA guy this time. You're correct, totally unprofessional. Next time, don't be hesitant to inform him of the jumpseating etiquette before he "helps himself" to your jumpseat.

Professional commuter

p.s. TV9... ol' TC is using the best of his TWA wisdom and experience PLUS the cunning, hungry-hawk shrewdness of being a Sky Nazi. Throw in a hint of sarcasm, and you have a winning combination, in my book. ;)

OK, I am back after my 8 hours of sleep after posting last night. What I didn't mention was that after getting seated in the jumpseat and getting the final count, there turns out to be two seats open in back and he goes to the back. So, I did have the opportunity to say something to him and I should have but I didn't. Yes I am spineless. But I now have been educated.
BTW, when he grabbed his bag he couldn't have missed seeing my old TWA bag tag.

Latest resources

Back