Multi-cfi's I Need Your Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AAWORKER

CAN ANY ONE WRITE OUT THE PROPER WAY TO DO A VMC DEMO....PLEASE PERFERABLIY IN A SENCA WITH POWER SETTINGS.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE TO WHOM EVER CAN HELP ME

AND TO ALL HAPPY HOLIDAYS :p :p

We use this when demonstrating Vmc in a seminole, the cruise check power settings are simply to run at about 120 kias...

- Cruise Check, power set 20"/2300, pumps off etc.
- Bug Heading
- 90 Degree Clearing Turn
- Bring the power back to 15" (both throttles)
- 90 Degree Clearing Turn back to bugged heading
- Fuel Selectors On
- Mixture Forward
- Props Forward
- Fuel Pumps On
- bring left throttle back to simulated zero thrust, 10" - 11"
use rudder to maintain directional control, pitch for blue line
- right throttle full forward
more rudder for directional control
- as speed comes down thru 100kias start pitching up slowly about 1 degree/second, you shouldn't have to go more than 10 degrees up, any more and the plane tends to lose directional control abruptly
- maintain directional control, as speed bleeds off, more rudder/aileron to keep heading
- first indication of stall or loss of directional control, bring right throttle half way back and nose over slightly, as speed increases bring right throttle back to full and continue pitching for blue line.
- cruise check again to finish

Hope it helps.

Check the PTS, critical engine should be at idle. Also, cowl flaps in takeoff config.

Another thing you might want to think about is what kind of maneuver you are simulating here.

You want to bring the good engine throttle back to idle,not half-way or anywhere in between. You are simulating a loss of directional control in which the aircraft is about to flip you over and probably kill you. Lose that assymetrical thrust as fast as possible.

When demonstrating the manuever you don't have to be maniacly fast but very prompt. The examiners I know will have a fit if you don't bring it back to idle.

I also concur about bringing the dead engine to idle, (prop windmilling, not zero thrust)

That is absolutely incorrect concerning bringing the throttle on the good engine to idle. DO NOT do that. You are sacrificing any modicum of performance for directional control. That is not the point. You are simulating an engine failure after liftoff, you've allowed the a/s to get too slow and you are losing directional control. The last thing you want to do is regain directional control as you are hitting the ground!!!

There are numerous articles about this....sorry I am in a hurry and don't have the reference numbers....there was a memo to all FAA examiners and DE's this past spring about this, NAFI has written several artciles about this (probably accessible through their website).

I can tell you (as an examiner) that bringing the throttle on the good engine to idle during the recovery is absolutely, no questions, grounds for an "unsat"....

Sorry, don't have time to write more....off to fly...........

Blue skies.........

Additionally, for the Seminole or whatever a/c you are demo this recovery procedure in (because that is REALLY what you are doing), the proper airspeed to initiate the maneuver would be the normal climbout airspeed for you aircraft...in the case of the Seminole that is 88 KIAS....if you are at 100 (or 105, manufacturer's recommended climbout speed)..you are above 500' AGL and that is not the altitude/phase of flight that this entire process is simulating. When I have time later I will write the process for the Seminole as recommended by the manufacturer...also yes, prop should be windmilling as you are simulating that the engine has failed and you aren't doing anything except pitching (inappropriately) to climb. The FAA also wants you to practice this with "bank as require\d for 0 side slip"; no bank...and also banking 5o towards the inop engine....

please get on the various websites and research this more guys!!!

Sorry I don't have more time for a better response....

Hmmm...

PTS for the Commercial MEL: (standards section of the lesson plan at http://pages.prodigy.net/jedinein/mel/vmcdemo.html )

2. Configures the airplane at VSSE/VYSE, as appropriate:
f. Power on critical engine reduced to idle.
g. Power on operating engine set to takeoff or maximum available power.

Idle, not zero thrust.

7. Recovers promptly by simultaneously reducing power sufficiently on the operating engine while decreasing the angle of attack as necessary to regain airspeed and directional control. Recovery SHOULD NOT be attempted by increasing the power on the simulated failed engine.

Nothing in there about exactly which power setting should be left on the operating engine, just "reduce power sufficiently...to regain airspeed and directional control."

The latest PTS also removes blocking of the rudder to require full rudder. I'm not comfortable with that, although being comfortable is not really part of doing a Vmc roll.

Fly SAFE least the training be worse than actual flying!
Jedi Nein

Latest resources

Back