• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Moving

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Has some of the warmest weather in WA state in the winter. I can think of worse places....like Scottsbluff, Nebraska. I lived there for about six months for a 135 freight job in light twins. It was VERY worth it.

Surely you're not talking about Kennewick/Pasco/Richland right? Of of the winters I was there, it was routinely 20 below w/ wind chill and snowed/iced very often. Summers are DEATH VALLEY-like and winters are Siberian in nature. This truly is hell on earth IMO.

Home is where you hang your hat

I moved a few times in my broadcasting and aviation careers. Particularly the latter; from 1988 to 1993 I moved five times to five different states, all for instructing jobs. During the last eighteen months of that period I moved three times.

I moved myself all of those times. Packing, of course, was a pain in the a$$, but, fortunately, I did not own furniture. So I was able to ship much of it and pack the rest into my car. One time I used a U-Haul topper and didn't need to ship anything. Fortunately, I was always able to find a furnished place or rented furniture.

Setting up housekeeping, finding a bank, etc., is a pain, but doable.

Although I disliked having to look for places I always found the trip on the road and moving someplace new to be an adventure. Something like what Typhoonpilot wrote about walking 10,000 miles. In those days I was single and younger. Now, I'm married and older, which can change your outlook and motivation about moving.

Depending on your job, you will make friends with other pilots. Some situations are friendlier (less snobby) than others, but I found that if you're a pilot you are accepted by other pilots. Even if you're a student and introduce yourself to the folks in the pointy end of the airliner after your flight you'll receive a friendly reception.

Good luck with your move. Tell where you're moving and I'll bet posters at your new home will want to get together with you.

Last edited:
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COOOOOOOOOOOPPPEEERRRRRRRRRRRSSS!!!!

Thanks BigD, now you have me dreaming of the best BBQ in the south! THAT'S IT!!! I hope Airnet doesn't mind me borrowing the bird, cause i'm gettin me some lunch!

Sorry to get off topic.

To get back on it... I have moved four times with Airnet, first to St. Louis where we knew no-one, then to Memphis where we knew no-one, then Jackson where once again we knew no-one, and finally back home to Dallas where we know people. It was very difficult moving away from what we knew to try to establish ourselves in a new place. After a little while there however, we met people which made the transition easier. Moving is always hard, especially if you do not know anyone where you are going, but get out there and make yourself seen, and soon enough you will know poeple.

Latest resources

Back