Moving

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jaybird

I've lived in FL my whole life. Last year I left for a job in CMH and haven't looked back since. I thought it was a good change for me. Luckily, I work(ed) with lots of cool people. Last winter really sucked though.

I've moved several times for a job. My deal might be a little different because, even as a child, never lived in any house longer than three years, no city longer than 9 years. Therefore, I am probably more predisposed to moving than others.

Nonetheless, I moved four times within the Pacific Northwest as a restaurant GM. Each move, in terms of personal growth, was positive. I went knowing nobody to knowing a ton of people, many of whom I still keep in contact with today. Additionally, I was able to see parts of the NW that I wouldn't normally have had any desire to see (ever been to the Tri-cities in WA?) and came away with a positive impression.

The big move came when I decided to move to Dallas to get out of hospitality into aviation. I didn't even HAVE a job or any training. I put in my notice at work, packed up, and moved. Got a gig thowing bags for AA that paid for my college, ratings, and whatnot. I was laid off, but that has led to many other opportunites and other contacts.

Mobility is the key in landing the best gigs.

In summary, you'd have nothing to fear, but fear itself. It is all a journey, and you'll never know until you try. I'm sure there are several other cliches that are applicable, but my memory fails to serve.

Oh yeah, I have an adventurous fiance, whom I've been with for nearly a decade, that made ALLl those moves with me. That is an important key that, in hindsight, made all the difference.

I've made the big jump once when I moved to Austin from Los Angeles, although it was for school, not work. I didn't know anyone when I first arrived.

I personally think it's a cool adventure, and if you're outgoing at all (which you seem to be), it shouldn't be too much trouble finding fun people to be around. Just make the effort to go out, and don't lock yourself into your apartment or house as soon as you get home. Your new friends will serve as a guide to your new city as well. Every town can be fun if you make the effort and surround yourself with cool people.

Good luck! If you find yourself in Texas, we'll have to head to Llano sometime for some Cooper's BBQ!

5 moves in the last year, and it's been a slow year. Going again in a few days. You never get used to it, and it gets to be a bigger chore every time. My suggestion, limit the moves as much as possible.

Of course, a good way to do that is get out of aviation...

I just moved from Florida to Arkansas for a 135 freight job. Moving is always a pain but it was definitely worth it.

i moved 3 times last year.. finally settled, and have been able to stay in one city for more than 6 months. looks like i'll get to stay here for the remainder of this year.
no, you never get used to it, but the more you do it, the easier it gets. however, one thing i've learned is take a deep, hard look at, and try to predict, the future! hard enough to do, but, i could have avoided one of the moves i made last year, if i had just read the writing on the wall.. i.e., more furloughs below me, and a new bid scheduled within a few months.
my wife is much more adventurous than i am, as far as wanting to move around, live in new cities, etc. so that definitely made it easier on me. but, after moving so much, even though she was cool with it all, i started to feel bad about it.. i moved because the job is easier living in base. but, for her, picking up, leaving newly acquired friends behind, searching for new jobs, etc.
so, i'm thinking now, we'll be staying here until it's an absolute impossibility for me to live here anymore!

On the move . .

Last year I moved three times (Spokane to Phoenix to Columbus). As a flight instructor, it has been my students who help me settle in to the new surroundings. Once they find out they are new in town, they usually invite you out to meet their friends, drink some brews, hockey games, etc. It really becomes what you want to make of it. I'm glad I've done it, so far. Even though I think I am a nomad at heart, I hope this is my last move for awhile.

EngineOut-
There is a reason that we all refered to it as the Tri-Sh!tties. Rolling into Pasco . . roll up the windows, lock the doors . . we're goin' in.

Regards,
FlyWest

The Chinese have an old saying which essentially says that you learn more by walking 10,000 miles than by reading 10,000 books. Every move you make is an opportunity to learn more about the place you have moved to and about the many different areas of the United States. Every State has something to offer, sometimes you just have to look a little harder to find what it is.

If you want to pursue a career in aviation then it is almost mandatory to move for jobs, especially when just starting out. That is easy to do when you are young and single. Still pretty easy when you are married with no children, but will become much more difficult if/when you have children.

Since you are young and just starting out , I say go for it. Enjoy the adventure.

Typhoonpilot

Worked in:

California ( North, South, and Central Valley )
Nevada
Utah
Massachusetts
North Carolina
Taiwan
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates

I've been to Tri-cities WA...

Has some of the warmest weather in WA state in the winter. I can think of worse places....like Scottsbluff, Nebraska. I lived there for about six months for a 135 freight job in light twins. It was VERY worth it.

Aviation is one career where you must take advantage of opportunities to move up when they happen....and be willing to go where ever that takes you.

Latest resources

Back