• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Most unprofessional tower controllers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A few controllers at the DPA tower. They are pretty well known for being a$$holes. Theres a female controller and another male controller that ive noticed are pretty darn happy with there job. However there is an older fella that HATES to talked on the radio......sounds like he really needs a long vacation and a different job.

Two different jobs completely. Not really comparable other than they both work in the aviation system so to speak. Now that the government ATC folks that are paid with tax payer money are making comparable or more pay than the private industry airline pilots does not make the jobs the same or equal. They are both completely different jobs. That is not good or bad but just the way it is.

hmmm, I've never had a problem with the IAH controllers, been based there for nearly a year. They can be vauge on their ground instructions sometimes....especially transitioning from north to south or south to north on the east side of the airport.

Atc

Flying Illini said:
Has this seriously turned into a "my job is harder than your job" discussion?
My opinion, the guy flying IFR on the east coast has a harder job than the guy working the class D tower in bufu IL. Vice versa, the controller working somewhere on the east coast has it harder than some pilot going for the hundred dollar hamburger on a beautiful day.

Both are jobs that require high levels of concentration and training. Both jobs need to be conducted professionally at all times. Has ATC been unprofessional before? Yes. Have pilots been unprofessional before? Yes. Keep in mind, maybe the other person is having a bad day. On the other hand, there are those (on both sides of the radio) who are just a pain in the arse because they don't enjoy their job. It's a fact of any job. And everybody's job is more pleasant when the other people you talk to are pleasant. We don't have to like each other but we do have to work together.

Well Put........we should just leave it at that!

captjim said:
Those guys chew people out for the simplest of mistakes. I've had them put us in "the penilty box" for missing one call. They are just grumpy a$$holes. It embarrasses me when they get really short with foreign carriers.

Exuse my ignorance what is a penilty box???? and what do you mean with they get really short with foreign carriers?? thanks

-ahem- The penalty does not exist.
But if it did exist it would be a section of concrete you placed an airplane in to await his or her clearance.

Just remember there boys, I can't turn on the autopilot when im on position and just sit there and monitor my ac like you do your instruments. Flying isn't what it used to be so dont sit there and act like your a 747-200 captain or driving a 727. The majority on here in the airlines are flying the newer regionals, the modern mainline stuff and all be it you best know your ac pretty **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good, in all retrospect, your a glorified computere operator. Comments on here such as a 3 hour flight.......wow, thats tough, right after 1000ft the autopilot is on, the vnav/lnav are selected, the TCAS is chimming traffic for you so we know your not looking at the window and your FMS is telling you everything you want to know, you don't do anything anymore so you can stop with that crap. As for us, **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, i get pissed off when a pilot doesn't listen, turns his radio down, completly jeopordizes the saftey of my other AC and violates FARS. You guys get pissy if we put you in a holding pattern for 2 mins all be **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed if we just let you go sideby into the bay. Cry me a river when you get an EDCT time. Maybe the NAS is so screwed up and we have those because there are too many flights flying at the same time. The FAA is hiring new people right now, they have class dates but many of them will wash out, and those that make it it will take 4 years to certify them due to the fact that there aren't enough controllers to train them. We work for an administrator who really doesn't care much about safety but more about budget cuts. I know controllers who work manditory six day work weeks due to understaffing, and they in turn once worn out on position apply more seperation then is needed, which inturn gets the sup's all pissed off because they aren't utilizing 100% capacity of the airspace and they get repremanded for doing so. Just remember there, its only gonna get worse. More controllers retire, and no one replaces them. Of course we are going to get pissy with you 21 year old F.O.s who think you know everything about this industry and don't have the big picture. Who question every control instruction we give and waste valuable radio time and elevate the stress of the controller. Just shut up, listen up and be polite, and im polite right back, be friendly, then im friendly, but day in and day out, twr execjet904 visual 32 in the most angry voice, execjet904 reduce speed to minimum safe approach speed, your overtaking a kingair ahead 2 miles, "IM flying this plane tower, blah blah blha...." And i love when a pilot makes a far deviation and you call him on it and he blames the controllers, good one.....smart.....Falcon900 hits the fbo the other day, and i finally get a hold of him on ground but he never called for a taxi clnce.....when iasked why he didn't call, tower never shipped him over, bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, i listened to the tape.....when i asked why he didn't stop and ask if he needed ground hence there were planes all over the place taxing and not one of them would be heard on his radio......He said tower was too busy to ask.....so i violated him for having an attitude. If your nice, we don't do anything, if your a dick, we do. The captain called and appologized for his fo but it was too late, RDO and FSDO already notified.

Lrjtcaptain,

You have some serious issues to deal with man. You don't think pilots can say the same things about controllers?

Why don't you relax a bit and try working together with us rather than having a bad attitude going in. Might make both our days a little easier.

Latest resources

Back