• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Most Loved Airline in the U.S.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Huge word count from Bubba... Many links from Howard... Fact remains: I have shown where a federal regulator (one who helped author airline deregulation) offers an opinion that matches my own thesis: The WA/DAL controversy in fact provided swa airlines some protection.

I take back my earlier comment about something you said being the stupidest statement ever on Flight Info. This one, highlighted above, is surely even stupider.

Holy crap, are you trying for a record, or something? :blush:

Bubba

I stand by that comment. (Hardly as good as it is lucky [SWA]) Think about it Bubba. Where was SWA 15 years ago? What's happened since then hasn't been brought about by simple hard work and financial discipline. Not even close! The context of the article is: There weren't enough SWA type airlines 15 years ago. Regulators wanted to step in and insure SWA type airlines thrived. As it turns out legacy airlines went thru hell, so it made it easy for them.

BTW, Kahan later went on to found Spirit Airlines. That kind of bothers me a little. You? Should a deregulator (one who made sweeping industry changes and shaped policy) be able to switch hats and move into and compete in the same industry they put thru an uproar? Try to curb your own infinite infatuation with swa for a moment (and your word count) and look at the big picture.

My personal favorite is when he tries to tell people that the Wright Amendment was secretly negotiated/agreed to, in order to "help" Southwest. He is pretty funny, but you shouldn't take anything he says seriously.

That's me AND one of the guys who wrote deregulation;)

Is it still your personal favorite? :)

Huge word count from Bubba... Many links from Howard... Fact remains: I have shown where a federal regulator (one who helped author airline deregulation) offers an opinion that matches my own thesis: The WA/DAL controversy in fact provided swa airlines some protection.

Wrong again, Flop. (Aren't you getting tired of being shown to be wrong?)

His opinion was that the type of flying we did offered us "some protection," in that no one else wanted to do it: short haul, point to point. They couldn't get people to those cities that we did for a similar price point with their hub-and-spoke models. That was it--that was all he alluded to. No secret "protection." No government conspiracy.

He said NOTHING about the Wright Amendment. Nothing at all. Especially nothing about the WA "helping" or "protecting" Southwest. You pulled that out of your rear end all on your own, and attempted to bootstrap your often-used argument that the government somehow was responsible for Southwest's success.

So after all that arguing you've done, and all those absurd claims you've made, that have all been disproven over the years, all you're left with is one guy's opinion that isn't even the same as what you said.

Kinda' pathetic, actually.

Bubba

That's me AND one of the guys who wrote deregulation;)

Is it still your personal favorite? :)

It sure is, because it's one of the stupidest conspiracy theories I've ever heard. Why would Southwest start expanding interstate, then spend hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars in litigation to defend and prove that we had the right to continue expanding; and then only AFTER winning that litigation, secretly negotiate a treaty to stop us from doing what we wanted and were already doing with great success? And I might add that we continued expanding interstate from our other airports.

Seriously, do you even listen to the stupid crap that comes out of your mouth?

Bubba

P.S. And, NO, the "guy who wrote deregulation" neither said nor even hinted at anything of the sort. Wrong again.

Wrong again, Flop. (Aren't you getting tired of being shown to be wrong?)

His opinion was that the type of flying we did offered us "some protection," in that no one else wanted to do it: short haul, point to point.

Uh, that's not what he said Bubba. Go back and read the words.

This is for your own good. You need to be able wrap your mind around the idea that your employer is not perfect. GK is not some Christ figure. Things change in this business, for all kinds of reasons we can't even think of. Guys like you have a long way to fall when they do. Easy come, easy go. This is a small but clear instance where a good point has been made that you need to be mature enough to acknowledge.

Link:

http://prospect.org/article/confessions-airline-deregulator

^^^Anyone interested better read this quick. Bubba has some swa media dude on speed dial that's scrubbing the Internet of anything swa negative

Last paragraph is of most importance to you Bubba:

"Southwest's success, however, owes much to its conservative financial strategy and some very unique factors. Southwest has a low-fare and generally nondiscriminatory pricing policy. It prefers to enter major markets only where there is unfettered, uncongested airport capacity to facilitate high-frequency service. These policies, in combination, give Southwest instant market share and tend to ward off predatory selective price cutting by the major carriers. If a larger carrier decides to price-compete with Southwest, it must be prepared to reduce fares for most or all passengers, not just on a few flights. Furthermore, Southwest chooses only relatively short-haul markets, averaging under 500 miles. Such flights are not readily susceptible to competition over hubs because passengers flying relatively short distances are unwilling to make connections. Finally, Southwest itself totally dominates at least one important airport, Dallas's close-in Love Field, from which long-haul flights are prohibited by legislation. This base gives it stability and some protection against the onslaught that has felled other new entrants. Yet, even Southwest knows that it would be suicide to enter traditional international or long-haul markets and take on big carriers on their own terms."

Here's the quote again Bubba. It's very clear. The mention of short haul flights is prior to the sentence that speaks to my thesis and the airport. Nice try though.

Here's the quote again Bubba. It's very clear. The mention of short haul flights is prior to the sentence that speaks to my thesis and the airport. Nice try though.

No, it's not clear. At least it's not clear about what YOU are trying to claim. His opinion talks about short haul flights, and then the next sentence mentions that Dallas Love is only for short haul flights. Nowhere did he say or insinuate anything other than that. The whole paragraph is how other airlines didn't want, or couldn't do the flying that we did, because of their hub and spoke systems. That was it. Everything else, about protections and restrictions, you made up.

Nowhere did he say or imply that anyone "gave" us anything, or "protected" us, or "propped us up," or "kicked out competitors," which have been your favorite tired lies that you keep throwing down.

The bottom line on Dallas Love is this, Flop: There was no exclusivity or protection for Southwest there. ANY airline was welcome to do whatever flying we did out of Love. They even could have done long-haul out of Love (along with us), if the DFW airlines hadn't got Wright to change the law to screw us. Regardless of the WA, they could have done the exact same type of flying as us, if they had wanted. And that's the deal: THEY DIDN'T WANT TO. It was their choice, not some government protectionist edict. And what's ironic is that the WA itself was a government protectionist edict, but rather to protect the DFW airlines from competition from us.

Why don't you actually did up some facts to try to refute that, instead of taking part of one guy's opinion about how well our business model worked at Love, and spinning it up into a grand conspiratorial figment of your imagination.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back