• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Most Loved Airline in the U.S.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flop, Where does it say that SWA had/has exclusivity to DAL? Does the WA specifically mention SWA? Thanks

SWA was allowed exclusivity at Love Field where deregulators specifically denied it at Chicago Midway.

You've been shown Bubba.

The only thing that I've been shown, is that once again you don't know what you're talking about. Specifically:

No airline was suppose to have a protected airport under deregulation. That was the whole point of it in the first place. But SWA was allowed to slip through. IMHO these de-regulators wanted to let at least one airline have a durable advantage to insure their voodoo BS "political entrepreneurship" [airline deregulation] would be more likely to have at least one success story.

Southwest did not have a "protected" airport. Your humble opinion about regulators wanting "at least one airline to have a durable advantage" is just your idiotic imagination. Nobody but you has ever even suggested that. No one "gave us" Love Field, nor worked to help us out. In fact the competing airlines and the actual cities of Ft Worth and Dallas themselves have all sued to stop us at one time or another. Who are you alleging tried to "help" us? Jim Wright?

Wright should never have had to get involved. SWA should have been sent to DFW, or Braniff allowed to stay at Love Field and compete directly with them.

Wright only got involved after it was shown by every court in the land that it was legal for us to continue to fly from Love Field as our business plan required. So he changed the law specifically to screw Southwest. What basis would you use to force a non-party to the agreement to build DFW to move there? Other then being afraid to compete, that is.

Also, you keep saying sh1t about "SWA kicking out other airlines" and "no one else was allowed to fly there." Just now you blathered that Braniff should have been "allowed to stay at Love Field and compete directly." As I've pointed out numerous times before, lots of airlines, including Braniff, flew in direct competition with us at Love Field. They came and went as they desired.

From Wikipedia about Love Field:
Braniff International was once Love Field's largest carrier. It started flying there in the early 1930s [60] and it relocated most of its flights to DFW, when it opened in 1973. Braniff kept flying to Love Field, until its collapse in May 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Love_Field
And from "The Braniff Pages," a website maintained by Brook Watts, at the request of John Braniff, Sr., himself, as a memorial to the airline, states:
After Braniff moved to D/FW in 1974, they kept a gate at Love to compete against SWA. This only lasted about six months though, and Braniff focused primarily on D/FW after 1975.
So as you can see, Braniff (and any and every other airline in the country) was free to compete directly with Southwest at Love Field. And many, including Braniff, did. They came and went of their own volition. They made their own choices as their respective business plans dictated; no one forced them to do, or not do, anything.

Still waiting for you to show how Southwest was "protected," "propped up," or assisted by any authority against any other airline. All you've done is quoted a 15-year old opinion piece that says points out that different airlines made different choices. Not even close to the stupid crap you claim.

Why don't you actually study some history before you spout off your anti-SWA bullsh1t? Just a thought.

Bubba

Last edited:
Flop, Where does it say that SWA had/has exclusivity to DAL? Does the WA specifically mention SWA? Thanks

It doesn't say anything of the sort about Southwest and exclusivity. Flop just pulled that claim out of his ass. In fact, the WA doesn't mention any airline at all by name, nor place any limits on what airline or number of airlines can fly there. It merely stated that airliners with more than 56 seats could not fly from Love Field to airports in states other than Texas or the surrounding ones (not coincidentally, the ones Southwest was already flying to). The intended and practical effect was to prevent Southwest from being able to expand service from its home airport.

Bubba

I'm not anti swa, so much as I'm opposed to the circumstances that have created the current situation. SWA is hardly a successful airline, so much as it's a lucky airline. I realize for most of the types that end up at swa, being lucky is more than good enough. However, big picture: there's nothing to appreciate about how this industry has been brought to this point.

Ill admit the WA does not specify swa. My word "exclusivity" pertained to the link I posted that mentioned Midway (although that could have been any Airport) They said "no" to a protected airport at Midway because that's the kind of situation that should have been avoided. But that's basically what swa got. The North Texas airport situation is a real mess. Always has been, always will be. From Braniff's perspective, it never made sense that two cities were forced to use one airport. Especially at a time when deregulation and doing away with the cab was taking place. DAL was supposed to be closed, or DFW never built. Either of those things happen? This is a different looking industry. And the full view of deregulation is a lot more cloudy.

Last edited:
It doesn't say anything of the sort about Southwest and exclusivity. Flop just pulled that claim out of his ass. In fact, the WA doesn't mention any airline at all by name, nor place any limits on what airline or number of airlines can fly there. It merely stated that airliners with more than 56 seats could not fly from Love Field to airports in states other than Texas or the surrounding ones (not coincidentally, the ones Southwest was already flying to). The intended and practical effect was to prevent Southwest from being able to expand service from its home airport.

Bubba

^^^^^^^^ This is what Kahan is speaking to. This is how the WA offered swa protection. SWA got what it needed, when it needed it. But for other airlines it was less desirable. You've asked me to show you proof of that for 10 years. There it is Bubba.

I'm not anti swa, so much as I'm opposed to the circumstances that have created the current situation. SWA is hardly a successful airline, so much as it's a lucky airline. I realize for most of the types that end up at swa, being lucky is more than good enough. However, big picture: there's nothing to appreciate about how this industry has been brought to this point.

I take back my earlier comment about something you said being the stupidest statement ever on Flight Info. This one, highlighted above, is surely even stupider.

Holy crap, are you trying for a record, or something? :blush:

Bubba

Ill admit the WA does not specify swa. My word "exclusivity" pertained to the link I posted that mentioned Midway (although that could have been any Airport) They said "no" to a protected airport at Midway because that's the kind of situation that should have been avoided. But that's basically what swa got.

Wrong. SWA got NO exclusivity at Dallas Love. Unlike what was proposed at Midway (not by SWA, by the way), any damn airline was free to do what they wanted at Dallas Love. Some did, some didn't; but it was their own choice. Most just didn't want to, because it didn't work for their business model. It doesn't matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true--the truth is that SWA was "given" no exclusivity or "protection."

The North Texas airport situation is a real mess. Always has been, always will be. From Braniff's perspective, it never made sense that two cities were forced to use one airport. Especially at a time when deregulation and doing away with the cab was taking place. DAL was supposed to be closed, or DFW never built. Either of those things happen? This is a different looking industry. And the full view of deregulation is a lot more cloudy.

"From Braniff's perspective"? Again, Flop, you need a history lesson. Braniff was one of the driving forces behind DFW being built. They helped plan it, because Love wasn't big enough for them. They were the anchor tenant at DFW when it opened; much bigger than American Airlines was back then. And again, they were free to also fly to/from Love Field, which they did for a time. They left only when they chose to.

Dude, you gotta' stop just making random, blanket statements that are demonstrably, and easily shown to be, untrue. It's not a good way to mount an argument.

Bubba

^^^^^^^^ This is what Kahan is speaking to. This is how the WA offered swa protection. SWA got what it needed, when it needed it. But for other airlines it was less desirable. You've asked me to show you proof of that for 10 years. There it is Bubba.

Southwest "got what it needed, when it needed it"? Did you actually write that with a straight face? We were expanding from Dallas Love, and were attacked to stop that expansion. We won every court case, including the SCOTUS, so as a result, DFW and its tenant airlines got Speaker Wright to change the law to stop that expansion. How exactly did we "need" a politician stopping us from doing what we wanted to do (and had already started doing with great success)?

And how the hell was it "less desirable" for the other airlines? They're the ones who wanted to stop us from flying to more cities from Dallas Love.

Flop, your continued ability to comically rewrite history would be laughable, if not for the fact that I sometimes think that you actually believe the crap you write.

Bubba

So. Finally, after all this time of you making outrageous claims that Southwest was "protected," "propped up," "kept from failing to show a deregulation success," "given exclusivity," etc., etc., etc.; THIS is all you can come up with to "prove" it? Seriously? The Wright Amendment, and an interpolation that you made from a random comment in an opinion piece?

Let's see... Southwest was deluged in lawsuits to prevent us from flying in the first place, then another round a few years later, to prevent us from expanding our service, multiple times, by Braniff, American, Continental, Texas International, the cities of Ft Worth and Dallas, and the DFW Airport Authority; then was the victim of a criminal conspiracy by Braniff, TI, and Continental airlines; and finally was the target of an anti-competition law designed to protect the DFW airlines from having to compete against Southwest any more than they already had to....... all that, and you're claiming that Southwest was "protected" because no other airline wanted to do what we were doing?

Dude, you need help. And a history book. And I probably need help too, for actually thinking I was arguing against an adult. :confused:

Bubba

SWA got what it needed, when it needed it.
Actually, DFW got what IT needed at the time which was a LACK OF COMPETITION FROM SWA OUT OF LOVE!!!

"The primary obstacle along Southwest's path to success was a piece of legislation called the Wright Amendment
, sponsored by former Fort Worth Congressman Jim Wright in 1979. Wright's aim was to protect competing airport Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport from losing business when Southwest refused to stay out of Dallas Love Field airport"
http://www.cnbc.com/id/43714139#.

"The Wright Amendment 'named for long-time Fort Worth Congressman Jim Wright' was designed to protect the then-new DFW International Airport, which Wright did not believe could stand the competition."
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/13/m...ght-amendment/

"The 1979 amendment, which restricted long-haul flights out of Dallas Love Field, was enacted to protect the new Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, built jointly by Fort Worth and Dallas."
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/bu...le3877464.html

"The Wright Amendment of 1979 was a somewhat confusing law governing air traffic out of Dallas. In a nutshell, it "protected" the city's new airport (DFW) by refusing to allow the old airport (Love Field) to fly non-stop to any destination except other cities in Texas. Brief backstory: The big winner under Wright was DFW's dominant carrier American Airlines. Since it could fly non-stop anywhere, it got the lion's share of most-favored passengers: big-spending business travelers."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...ment/17621065/

"Signed into law in 1980, the Wright Amendment was intended to protect the struggling Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) International Airport from local competition by placing distance limitations at Love Field. While the Wright Amendment helped the DFW Airport which is now the third busiest airport in the world it is no longer necessary. But more importantly, this Amendment needed to be repealed because it hurt consumers. The Wright Amendment's restrictions made it hard for Love Field to compete with other airports that were allowed to offer nonstop, long-distance flights."
http://samjohnson.house.gov/news/doc...umentID=397595

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back