More XJET

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Regarding the scan issue...

You'll be surprised at how much a good scan of the EFIS "tape" system will be very helpful in being effective on the line. You can only follow the flight director so much before it gets you into trouble. Like when ATC gives you a short vector and the localizer captures inside the FAF, so you are following a FD which is keeping you at 3000 feet 2 miles from the airport on the localizer.

The flight director is an excellent guide to where the aircraft should go. It requires a delicate balance between properly using the automation controls via the flight guidance panel and taking in the information from your instruments. Relying on the flight director is a dangerous gamble, which someday could put you in a very precarious situation.

The glass-cockpit system in the ERJ is very user-friendly in terms of a scan. Everything you really need is right there in front of you: Airspeed, Altitude, Attitude, Vertical Speed, the ball for coordination, localizer, glideslope, and autopilot/flight director modes. You don't hardly need to move your eyes to get all the information you need to fly the airplane with extreme precision and smoothness.

I'm going to go ahead and make a bold statement: If you don't have a good scan, you are not going to fly this airplane like it should be. And the passengers in back will feel it... trust me, in my times jumpseating I can feel the jerkiness on the controls of someone who has a poor scan. It's just setting you up for getting behind the airplane... especially at times when the scan is very critical, like shooting a CAT II approach to minimums like we did this morning in EWR.

Automation is a tool. Use it properly, and it can reduce your workload quite a bit. Rely on it too much, and don't use it properly, and it will make your life very difficult, and possibly put you into a situation where you don't want to be.

As one who has (not in a fighter) been to Baghdad, (and yes, I can prove it) I take exception your claim.

Fess up!

As to the comment about Xjet pilots, there are some turds here but most are pretty cool.

chicksdgme said:
Hey No I did not expect to get hired with 73 hrs of multi.Perhaps if you could read you would see that. Everyone has been getting hired with a little of a hundred hours thats reality. Sounds like someone has been warming the left seat a little too long. Real nice attitude to have. Not remembering when you were once where I was. Do you glance the checklists the way your glanced my original post? I hope you choke on a candybar and fail your next sim session. I was dropping bombs on Baghdad from my F16 while you practicing touch and gos. Too bad it only had one engine.
-Howard Hughes

Last edited:
JungleJett said:
Sounds like a jab to the Guard and Reserve guys/gals. I hope that is not what you meant.

No, we were simply trying to find a scenario that might explain chicksdgme's claim/profile. A Guard or Reserve pilot might be applying to a regional with 1000 hours, that's all.

Here are the FACTS

Chicksdgme's profile changed to add two types of military aircraft after his "Dropping bombs on Baghdad in my F-16" comeback.

Chicksdgme claims to have 1000 hours TT AND an ATP

Chicksdgme filled out his profile to read Civilian under Civilian/Military flight experience, highly unlikely for somebody who spent a year at UPT.

No active duty pilot would finish his service commitment with only 1000 hours TT. Chicksdgme claims to have flown the T-6 in UPT, yet Guard/Reserve guys don't send students to Moody.

Somebody with the profile he claims would have a minimum of 150 hours of T-38 time and yet he laments having only 73.

Chicksdgme has been online twice today, yet remains silent? LIAR!

(Gawd, I waste way to much time on this board.)

Lr,

My point was the comment made by Rock stating that if the comment about dropping bombs on Baghdad came from a Guard or Reserve guy, it would not be unusual. Seemed a bit pointed in my opinion. Or he could have meant that since it was mostly Guard and Reserve F-16's over there, it could only have been a Guard or Reserve pilot:rolleyes:

By the way, like you, I am an enlisted dude...C-130 Loadmaster.

All cleared up!!!...edited

Last edited:
Whoa there Junglejett. Don't be so quick on the defensive. I am a Guard guy and have been for 6 years. Since the F-16 of choice in OIF right now is the F-16C+ flown by Guard and Reserve units, it is Guard and Reserve F-16 units doing a lot of the work over there right now. That includes dropping bombs on turdheads in Baghdad. And since you yourself boast of going into Baghdad, I'm not exactly sure why you think there is anything wrong with someone stating they've dropped bombs there (assuming of course they actually did). Frankly, I think it's something to be proud of.

By the way, I'd never slam a cargo guy. It takes big brass balls to fly a slow moving, undefended transport onto a dirt strip at night in a combat zone. And besides, as a FedEx guy, I've come to appreciate hauling trash ;).

I'm gonna hijack this thread.

New perm bid came out and 183 untrained F/Os awarded captain at XJT. Most Junior CA award was in EWR and the guy was a 2/5/01 hire. The guy probably missed furlough by less than 100 numbers back in late '01. Now he's a CA.

Congrats to all concerned and good luck on upgrade. And don't forget to bid your training date.:)

Hey Paul,

They updated the senority list finally today, 480+ bodies under me since April, but better yet, only 570+ folks between me and the most junior Captain in the February upgrade class! Looks like a lot of folks are bidding QOL. Good!

Latest resources

Back