• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bluestreak

Fitty-Six F100's rock
I loved this quote from J.O.

"
Ornstein said that Mesa, which had $302.8 million in cash, marketable securities and debt investments at the end of December, is in a strong financial position and, except for two months after Sept. 11, 2001, has never had furloughs or had its employees take pay cuts or benefits reductions.
"We offer security and job opportunity," he said. "We have upgraded pilots to captain positions in less than three years. At most regional carriers it takes 10 years. So when you look at compensation, they're very well compensated compared to others in the industry. The question you have to ask yourself is, Do you want to be a high-paid first officer making $40 an hour or a moderately paid captain making twice that?"
Most positions for Mesa's Hawaii operations will be filled by current Mesa employees because the company's labor agreement requires that Mesa employees get first choice, Ornstein said."

Really ? It takes ten years to upgrade ? Maybe at Eagle.Well ,there you have it-"very well compensated",right there in black and white.

According to Airlinepilotcentral.com,you are at $79/hr on the CRJ900 after only 11 short years ! I'll bet those Mesa employees are chompin' at the bit to go to HI and try to live on Mesa wages.Read all about it:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/02/07/news/story04.html

The bigger question is what does he have up his sleeve? Why put that $300 mil at risk? Does MAG have any extra A/C that he's just playing with? There is more to this story I think.

~wheelsup

Bluestreak said:
has never had furloughs or had its employees take pay cuts or benefits reductions.

You can't cut pay and benefits that aren't there in the frst place. :smash:

Sorry, I was set up so perfectly, couldn't pass that up.

wheelsup said:
The bigger question is what does he have up his sleeve?

~wheelsup

Bingo.

I think there's a lot more to it. Mainland carriers have always been forced to do business on whatever terms HA or AQ lay down. There have been no other alternatives, and the local carriers know it.

Don't be surprised to see MAG pick up every major interline agreement coming into Hawaii. Most of them are already doing business with MAG somewhere on the mainland anyway.

Watch the majors' trans-Pacific feed shift from AQ/HA/WP/LW to MAG's Hawaii operation. It will be easy because unlike the Hawaiian carriers, MAG can create incentives (or penalties) on its mainland routes to get the majors to play ball wih them in Hawaii.

He's got some aces up there.

Last edited:
wheelsup said:
The bigger question is what does he have up his sleeve? Why put that $300 mil at risk? Does MAG have any extra A/C that he's just playing with? There is more to this story I think.~wheelsup

I saw five or six of their ERJ's sitting on alone in the middle of the day on a ramp in CLT a few weeks ago. I think he may have a few a/c laying around after losing the Airways contract.

I don't think they really lost the airways contract. I think the ERJ's are getting relpaced by the CRJ 900. ERJ's are going to Delta and United. But this is old news.

If you think MAG lost the Airways contract look at the C concourse. You see those extra long rjs at the mainline gates? Yeah that's Mesa. I think it is very ironic that Airways/AmericaWest increase service to Hawaii, yet at the same time Mesa is starting a interline. If I'm wrong please correct me.

RobCat said:
I think it is very ironic that Airways/AmericaWest increase service to Hawaii, yet at the same time Mesa is starting a interline. If I'm wrong please correct me.

I was just thinking the same thing today.

KingAirer said:
Watutalkinbout?
This will be a comedy of epic proportions, lesse..., 50 seat A/C operating by themselves, minimal codeshare, no fee for departure, coupled with the legendary messa reliability. J.O. would be better served with $100 bill bonfires. This is gonna be the airline equivalent of WWF smackdown, I can't wait. The locals have been less than charitable towards operators who cancel and provide poor service, mesa specialties, really, the only things that they do consistantly.
PBR
J.O. please start in Mar. so the fun can begin sooner.

Latest resources

Back