• Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have you considered an RV-3?

It's
-cheap
-reliable
-INSURABLE
-nimble
-Goes over 200mph on car gas

There are plenty of used examples to be found.

I just saw one on Barnstormers for $28000. Not too shabby for a 200mph ride.

Don't do the BD if you want to take baggage or fly more than an hour. I've been looking at building one for years. There is a company call BD Micro that is selling kits, and they are far better then the original, but engines are a problem. There isn't a very good recip, the turbo prop is fairly cheap ($20,000), but there is a 2 year wait to get one. The Jet engine is very expensive if you can find one, and goof luck with that. You can't fit anything in the plane but you, and that can be tough if you're a big guy.

coloneldan said:
I've thought about an RV-3, but there have been several wing failures. I'm not sure what the status is, or why.
Yep, a wing coming off will certainly ruin your day...

The RV-3 wings have been beefed up and/or redesigned, meaning that older ships can be retrofitted with beef-up kits to strengthen the aft spar attach points, while new (post '98) kits have totally new RV-8 style wings.

I'd consider an older RV-3, but would make certain that the spar mods have been done.

Here's the whole story;
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/History/history.htm

Mod/wing info
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/Info/info.htm

But back to the original question, BD-5 or Midget Mustang? Go with the Mustang! That's a cool little machine... I couldn't go with a BD since it's so cramped, and I'm only 6 ft and 185 lbs. I could barely fit my shoulders between the canopy rails...

Hey jbDC9, Thanks for the good information. Based on the reasearch I've done in the last week or so, I have about decided to drop both the BD-5 and Midget Mustang. (Again) My shoulders measure 21 and a half inches across. the Midget Mustang cockpit is 21 inches. I could shoe-horn myself in there, but I'm not sure I could move enough to fly the thing.

If the choice is only between and Midget Mustang and the Bede - I would go with the MM. If that's your choice and you know you want a single seater - that's good. But I have seen numerous Midget Mustangs for sale and then resale in about a year when the guys get tired of flying by themselves. It would be hard to beat the Midget Mustang for hotrodding back and forth. The earlier post about baggage room was correct. Not much room. Someone asked about the T-18. My Dad built two and I got to fly the second for a while. If you get the 'widebody' it's a little better across the shoulders. Not a whole lot of room for baggage - but better than the MM. The wing on the T-18 was a compromise and was told that the wing on the RV was better. The Thorp's slow speed handling is not as good as the RV. Blue Skies

Latest resources

Back