Mesa Pilot Development

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rsnodg

This is a long question with some background. October 2000, at the age of 42 I decided to change careers and become a professional pilot. I attended Pam AM for a year and then spent a year going through Alpine Airs First Officer Program. I have 1205 hours with 526 turboprop. It's been a year since I flew with Alpine and I fear my skills are getting rusty. I am seriously considering the Mesa Pilot Development Program. It appears many of you don't like Mesa. Do you know if people are getting jobs this way? For somebody my age (44) is this a good direction?

Have you considered trying for a 135 job (freight - Ameriflight, Ram Air, Flight Express and so on)? You meet the 135 mins with your time, it is GREAT experience and I think it shows that you are willing to work, take PIC authority, keep schedules and fly in all kinds of Wx rather than trying to buy a job. Not that we all don't buy our jobs in one way or another, I'm not saying that, I'm just saying 135 gives good expericence and I think 121 interviewers respect that. I'm 39 and carreer changer myself, CFII for a year, 135 for the next and now happilyflying 121. It worked for me as well as many, many of my "Freight Dog" buddies.

If you go 135 you'll need to get current and have some recent experience. Many would like no less than 100 in the previous year so if its been a while since you flew you may have to spend some $ to get up to speed. Although I didn't go through MAPD I don't think its a poor choice. I think they have a condensed program for people with their comm/multi and a few hundred hours. I am in the pool at Mesa and having gone through the interview the majority (30/35) were MAPD grads. They'll get you up to speed in a hurry but they'll only be able to get you a job at Mesa - which if you ask me is a good place to be. To be competitive off the street you'll need at MINIMUM 2000tt and 500me (looks like you just about got me covered). MAPD may be a shorter route but will get you to Mesa - you need to decide if Mesa is a company you'd like to work for (and with the current climate "work for" - for a while)

MAPD is an ab-initio program, so it's not what you need since you hold a Comm/MEL rating, right? Youl could do their PACE program, but why would you?

with your time you should be able to get another job. MAPD is like 50K and wouldn't work for you anyway.

seems like you already have mins for lots of places, even Mesa (?), why not just apply?

UP

I am current. I logged 200 hours this past year in a Mooney M20E. I just don't feel as sharp as I was when I was flying 25 hours a week for Alpine. I have applied at a half dozen 135 operations and I have an application in at Mesa, Horizon, Commair, & a few others.

Quit paying big bucks to fly. I think Pan Am and Alpine took enough of your money. Try getting some sort of paid position.

I believe you are looking at the Mesa Pace Program which will take another $12,000 from you for the opportunity to interview there. I think for low time pilots 300 hours or less it might make sense to try the Pace program for others it doesn't. Find a job, network, and something will come along. You would be better off trying to get to know some current Mesa folks to walk in your resume. That would cost you nothing. If you are feeling rusty consider the time building program at All ATPS. It is the most reasonably priced multi-time around. You get to fly all across the country which I think always helps maintain ones skills. Network, network, network.. It always pays off.

Good luck,
AZPilot

Also another option with MAPD is their ATP program. Show up with the written taken and then do some baron sim time and actual baron time and then the checkride...of course you need the 1500 hours but flying a little freight could get you that fairly fast. Anyways once you do their ATP program you get the interview (not the job but the chance to interview). An interview for the price of an ATP is a good deal. Check it out.

rsnodg said:
I haven't been able to even get an interview with any of the cargo guys. Any tricks or advice there.

Have you ever gone out and tried to get to know any of the pilots? Most jobs are hard to get unless you know someone within. 90% of the positions my friends have gotten were because they knew someone at the company they were applying to. It is not impossible to go the other route but it always makes it more difficult.

azpilot said:
Have you ever gone out and tried to get to know any of the pilots? Most jobs are hard to get unless you know someone within. 90% of the positions my friends have gotten were because they knew someone at the company they were applying to. It is not impossible to go the other route but it always makes it more difficult.

Just to add....it's usually a good idea to stop in where you want to work in person. I've had a few friends actually get an informal interview and an offer or put in a pool on the spot. That's rare but it happens. More likey you'll learn something about the company by seeing it in person and you'll not be another piece of paper in the stack to them.

Latest resources

Back