Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why??

rsnodg said:
This is a long question with some background. October 2000, at the age of 42 I decided to change careers and become a professional pilot. I attended Pam AM for a year and then spent a year going through Alpine Airs First Officer Program. I have 1205 hours with 526 turboprop. It's been a year since I flew with Alpine and I fear my skills are getting rusty. I am seriously considering the Mesa Pilot Development Program . . .
I'm a former MAPD instructor. You are way beyond that stage. You have earned your ratings. You have built some quals. You don't need to go to any more flight schools or pay for any more training, perhaps with the exception of getting your CFI, which may not be a bad idea because you might land work with it. Update your resume and spam it. I second Reno's suggestion about applying to places like Ameriflight.

Just a little friendly advice from someone who has walked in your shoes. Maintain reasonable expectations. The industry, especially in the regional airlines, seems prejudiced against 40-and-over career changers. The long and short of my experience was that pilots with identical or lesser quals than me but who were under thirty were getting calls and interviews from the same commuter airlines to which I, at 38-40, had applied but heard nothing. It takes neither a pilot or rocket scientist to figure out what was happening. Yes, I did put my date of birth on my resume because my age would have been determined eventually. Search my other posts on that subject.

Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
Just be careful about dropping in uninvited. The person doing the hiring is already flooded with resumes, faxes and phone calls. To suddenly have someone show up begging for a job may put him/her off. I would check the company's web site, if there is one, about hiring procedures and follow them.

That's not to say dropping in doesn't work because it did for a friend of mine. Just know that it could potentially hurt your chances. Then again, what do you have to lose. To find a job in this business, you have to fling a lot of sh!t at the wall. Most of it will fall off but some of it will stick. Good luck.

For what it is worth....You are correct what some regionals have worked so hard to improve, and have done so, the folks at Mesa have turned the regional pilot in the opposite direction in which we were going.... it is your choice.

A company called International Jets is hiring out of (Cennt. Airport I believe) Englewood, CO. It is a Charter and Air Amb. company. Two weeks on two weeks off. Does NOT pay well but the longevity of this company is on the up and up...GROWING!!

In my opinion there are much better companys than the one in which you are inquiring.

Good Luck!

I just wanted to thank everyone for all their advice. I started down the CFI path here in Portland, OR. The market here is dismal. Lots of CFI's and few students. So I dropped the idea because of the expense and just kept flying. I have been trying to get on with the 135 operations but have had no luck. My wifes getting tired of all the money I've spent. My thinking was one last program that could get me on an airline sooner rather than later.

for what it's worth, Airnet is hiring as per the message on 1877-airnet-6 (I think, check www.airnet.com) seems like you're right where they hire at. of course, you need an in

a few weeks ago Ameriflight had a Lance position advertised

www.ameriflight.com

good luck

rsnodg said:
I just wanted to thank everyone for all their advice. I started down the CFI path here in Portland, OR. The market here is dismal. Lots of CFI's and few students. So I dropped the idea because of the expense and just kept flying. I have been trying to get on with the 135 operations but have had no luck. My wifes getting tired of all the money I've spent. My thinking was one last program that could get me on an airline sooner rather than later.

ONE OTHER THING ...Understand that if there was ever a bad time to be in the industry now is that time. If your wife has the patience there are many a corporate job that will hire you. But...as I said before the pay will be not so good again look into air ambulance. Its hard work but the pay is not too bad and the benefitts are pretty good. Very demanding but yet a very rewarding job.

Good Luck

Corporate doesn't pay good? Dude, try starting out at Alliant Energy at better than 60,000 a year right seat in the King Air 350. You can bet that there are better than 500 resumes over there right now also.

My friend that manages the hawkers over at a fortune 500 company, is getting 12,000 hour hawker typed pilots walking resumes in for right/left seat jobs.

There may be some jobs in corporate that don't pay that much to right seat in...but even those are going to be pretty guarded right now.

I offered to contract fill in at a place that has a King Air 350 and is getting a jet. I know the captain pretty good as well as the full time copilot. The captain said he's got "resumes up the WAZOO!".

If you think that it's that easy to just get a low paying corporate job...please list those jobs here for all to see.
If your wife has the patience there are many a corporate job that will hire you. But...as I said before the pay will be not so good

Bad Corporate Pay?? I ... don't .. think .. so.

skydrvr said:
[T]here are many a corporate job that will hire you. But...as I said before the pay will be not so good . . .
It may depend on the situation, but I don't think that's true at all.

I know of corporate pilots who make $50K+, and with good health and other benies. That doesn't sound like altogether bad money to me, not to mention the fact that many corporate pilots fly to all kinds of interesting places and build international experience. Sounds like a great job to me. Corporate jobs take some doing to get, but seem like they're worth it once you get them.

You know, as I think about it more, maybe corporate might be a good direction for you, though it may take a while to land the right job. Given your situation and understanding it well, I feel that it may be worthwhile to give corporate some thought instead of trying for the commuters.

Good luck with your plans.

Last edited:
Re: Bad Corporate Pay?? I ... don't .. think .. so.

bobbysamd said:
It may depend on the situation, but I don't think that's true at all.

I know of corporate pilots who make $50K+, and with good health and other benies. That doesn't sound like altogether bad money to me, not to mention the fact that many corporate pilots fly to all kinds of interesting places and build international experience. Sounds like a great job to me. Corporate jobs take some doing to get, but seem like they're worth it once you get them.

You know, as I think about it more, maybe corporate might be a good direction for you, though it may take a while to land the right job. Given your situation and understanding it well, I feel that it may be worthwhile to give corporate some thought instead of trying for the commuters.

Good luck with your plans.

Let me rephrase....Many a good job as a Corporate Pilot with great pay....but many with not so good....with the potential to be great pay.

Latest resources

Back