• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa CRJ-900s - Questions.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes the a/c Mesa will fly for Us are the CRJ-900's they have just been converted to 70 seats,first class will take some room.As far far as not so fast for the wholly owns your dreaming.No one is going to get these away from Mesa with their cost structure.Very sad but true.

In the new Mesa contract, the CRJ-900 rate tops out at $104.39, with an 80hr line it should add up to $108,565 per year.

That payrate won't be in effect for over four years. $98.36 is what top out is right now and that is for 20 years of serivce. Has anyone been at Mesa that long? If so, they must have a pretty loose a$$ by now. The current Mesa 76 seat+ rates are a shade below the current Comair 40-50 seat rates when stopping at the 18 year longevity mark. Mesa will continue to fall behind over the terms of their respective deals.

Intruder One said:
Yes the a/c Mesa will fly for Us are the CRJ-900's they have just been converted to 70 seats

I thought US changed the order with Bombadier so the planes won't be the 705's (the 900 re-configured) but 700's, just like the ones Mesa operates for HP. Mesa can't fly 705 w/o violating US scope language.

328 dude: tahks for the different thought process on why PSA shouldn't take the 705. I hadn't seen it from that angle (I think inside the box).

Either way, it is disappointing that furloughed mainliners will stay on furlough while Mesa hires new FO's to backfill the upgrades into the US CRJ's. Is this deal with Mesa J4J?

-Boo!

Intruder, the order was put back to CRJ-700's series for MESA to fly. Mesa cannot operate the CRJ900 series due to scope clause restrictions. The weight issue not only affected the wholly owned, but also Mesa.

Copyed from a Press Release on Thursday.

“Mainline management underestimates the operational and cost efficiencies of using its integrated resources, including employees intimately familiar with the US Airways operation through years of exposure to it,” Holm added. “We fail to see this as a meaningful step toward successful economic recovery. According to Mr. Bruce Ashby, president of US Airways Express operations, Mesa airlines is already behind on current obligations to US Airways, and recently also made additional commitments to United Airlines. The result could be an inferior product for our customers,” he said.

US Airways said today that it has notified Bombardier Aerospace that it will not be taking delivery of the 25 CRJ-705 regional jet aircraft ordered in May, and instead, will contract with Mesa Airlines to fly at least 25 CRJ 700 aircraft, and perhaps as many as 55 70-seat regional jets under the US Airways Express name.

Here's the kicker Intruder and this is a plus for ALG and PDT. In their J4J language, it states that any aircraft that is financed by Airways, must be flown at a wholly owned. How they can give this to Mesa, is an interesting thought one that Alg and Pdt are in the process of filing a grevience. Even Ashby stated that Mesa would not finance this jet. However, even if Alg and PDt win this grevience, that language states that it must be flown by a wholly owned company. There's nothing saying that they give the 700's back to PSA and still do away with Alg and Pdt. A risk, but one that I would be willing to take if I was on thier MEC. One that they are going to take.

If that happens and they decide to place these jets here. We are back to the concerns stated in my previous post's. Would they go to ALG or PDT? Maybe, and I hope, but they would have more concerns then ours especially without any firms orders for 50 seaters. If they do go to Alg and PDT, I would caution our brothers and sisters about this. Your MEC is very aware of these problems.

Mesa only signed a letter of intent to fly these Jets under U colors. Mesa would have signed the deal that day if they could but managment at U refused. Why? Scare tactics and stalling technique. Unless all else fails between ALPA, U managment and the mainline to MEC, then Mesa will probably sign the deal. First airplane is not supposed to arrive untill 2004. There's alot more time for things to change.

Last edited:
In the new Mesa contract, the CRJ-900 rate tops out at $104.39, with an 80hr line it should add up to $108,565 per year.

Your on the crack pipe, at 104.39X900hrs a year thats 93,951.00 Yep the 8th grade was my senior year! LOL:confused:

CRJ driver

Perhaps I missed something along the way, correct me if I err.

80 hours a month x 12 mo. = 960 hours.

960 hours x $104.39/hr = $100214.40 per year.

The number still differs from the original posters sum also. I know nothing of the Mesa pay schedules, but at other airlines soft pay could easily make up the difference to the $108,565 sum. Or perhaps he made a simple error in his math such as you did. Who knows, I might have missed something along the way and I am the one who should be working at Enron.

Minimums.

Minimum per bid at Mesa is 70 hours. Mesa runs 13 bids not 12 so that is a minimum of 910 hours per year. If you flew 80 hours per bid you would have 1040 hours in a year, that's where the figure came from.

Remember some bids you might actually fly 90 while others you might only fly 40. But since if you fly less than 70 you still get paid for the 70 hour minimum. That way you can be paid for more hours than you actually fly and it would be more likely that you'd average close to 80 hours per bid.

A lot of assumptions here of course and this is only flight hours, not including per diem. Since just about everyone makes a lot more per diem than Mesa, that's another big difference for the calculations. Sure we got a 15% increase, but it's still crap compared to most everyone else.

Your on the crack pipe, at 104.39X900hrs a year thats 93,951.00 Yep the 8th grade was my senior year! LOL

Here some facts for you about Mesa:

Mesa has 13 bids of 28-days per year.
A regular line usually has 80 hours per bid.
After 5 years at Mesa you get 3 weeks of paid vacation per year at 21 hrs per week.

So you actually fly for 12 months and 1 week:
80*12.25=980
And get 3 paid weeks of vacation:
21*3=63
So:
980+63=1043
Divided by the number of bids:
1043/13=80.23
It still works out at about 80 hours per bid.
Back to the original top rate at the end of the contract for the CRJ 900:
104.39*80*13=$108,565

What was it you said about 8th grade? :)

For those of you curious about career earning expectations for somebody starting at Mesa, here are the numbers. Call me crazy, but some people can actually have a nice lifestyle based on these numbers provided they don't live in Manhattan and don't buy a new SUV every 3 years :)

5 - year CRJ200 CA: 63K
10-year CRJ700 CA: 77K
15-year CRJ900 CA: 96K

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back