• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lots to consider....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't let the opinionated a-hole who spoiled your training fun get you down. The line is much better than training.

Going thru the sim and Indoc is NOT real airline life. Once you get on the line, it will be different. Just don't comment about the crappy folks because at this point, you'd be considered a whiner. Stick it out to get a couple hundred turbine hours at company expense.

I would look into finishing that degree. You have to have a back up to aviation.

FB

B1900FO said:
Even more the reason the training department shouldnt be lousy. I would agree that 900 hours is low, but I had much much more experience then the other guys in my class. Out of the new hires, I had the most hours. Thanks for the reply!

Why would you agree? Would another 200 hours of 152/172 time have made you a better 1900D pilot?

Just wondering.

pilotyip said:
Definitely do not quit in training, it is a black mark that will follow you for a least five years, PIRA, extremely hard to explain in a future interview. Pilots get hired because they have the flight time the airline is looking for, flight time is more important than the degree, build time, do the degree on the side. You can build meaningful time while doing the degree on the side, you can not build meaningful flight time going to college full time. I have seen too many pilots succedd following this route. BTW the market value of a 10-20 year old unused college degree is greatly overrated. Particularily for a pilot. Been there done that.
PilotYip makes a good point, an unused degree is useless for finding a well paying job. For instance, when I was furloughed, I had a B.S. Mechanical engineering that was 7 years old and trying to find a job was almost impossible. I had to return to school and get a masters before I was hirable. Maybe it is different for other degrees, but if you do get an engineering degree, experience is more important than the degree as well. If you don't have engineering experience, then you need a current degree to get hired. It's actually easier to get back into flying than it is getting back into another career after flying.

Airway said:
Why would you agree? Would another 200 hours of 152/172 time have made you a better 1900D pilot?

Just wondering.

Nope, not at all. I don't have much dual given anyways. I was flying a corporate operation with a 182, plus flying a Citation as well. To be honest, I am beating my head on the wall because I left both. I LOVED flying the Citation and enjoyed it every time I had a trip. I also took a $10,000 dollar pay cut. Everyone said it was the right thing for me to go to the airlines, but in hindsight I probably could have finished college while flying both the Citation and 182 and gotten on with a much better operation. We all live and learn. For some reason, I am not so excited to fly the 1900 and no, not because it's a turboprop. I love turboprops, its just the experience I had during training made it seem like it wasn't much fun, thats all. Put me in pretty much anything that flies and I'm happy, but when someone trains you to think it's not fun, I'm not so happy.

I know I've said it before, but I do appreciate everyone's replies. I was a little skeptical of explaining my situation and looking for advice for fear of being ridiculed for being sissy or something. Thanks again...

Was it the "bend and snap"? If so...he may have just thought you were cute.

W

B1900FO said:
It wasn't just one or two things. It was the last 3 sessions when we had him and he yelled, stomped on the floor, and snapped his fingers at both of us quite frequently.

Dubya said:
Was it the "bend and snap"? If so...he may have just thought you were cute.

W

Oh My God! The Bend and Snap! Get's 'Em Everytime!!

-Blucher:laugh:

PS-Her best movie is still "Freeway" That's where it all started for me.

Stick it out. Don't let the IP get the best of you. You will probably run into more guys like that in the sim. It sounds like you are mad becasue the guy was riding you hard in the last few sims. This is pretty normal from what I've seen (2 airlines and 3 different planes). The IPs ride you hard so that you are too scared to screw up so when you finally do your checkride you get through it with no problems. When I went thru upgrade a few months ago my IP would yell at me for being 10 or 20 feet off alt. You get so used to trying to keep him from yelling that when you fly the checkride the 100 feet the PTS gives you seems like its 1000 feet. I might be wrong only you and your sim partner know if this guys was just riding you or was being a jerk. Fly the line its more fun. The 1900 is a blast to fly don't let anyone let you thing otherwise. Have fun out on the line. If you quit it will follow you and will make it harder to get jobs down the road.

CJCCapt said:
Ok. That's sounds unusal and un-professional..
Unprofessional? Yeah. Unusual? Not in the entry level tier of our industry.

I've seen worse, and literally laughed in his face with a big toothy grin and a contract in hand for proof of his BS. It didn't go over well.... Long/short- I'm here, he isn't. He is in MY place on IOE at another carrier, and his legacy is a bunch of wtfs?

Just hang on, cooperate and graduate, get some experience, and get that f'ing degree eventually.

And for clarity's sake- he moved on of his own accord. You may never see him again.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back