• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lots to consider....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hang in there. I won't say anything about quitting but I will say that showing some loyalty will go a long way further down the road. I know several guys who have finished degrees (even master's) in hotels and crash pads. You're in a good place for your age. Build a resume that shows you can stick it out and be determined to pursue BOTH of your goals. And whatever you do, don't miss out on any of the fun along the way...

I've had a comparable experience in the past and I can unequivocally say that you should tough it out. Better experiences await you as you grow more comfortable at work, and this experience will help mold what you become should you ever find yourself in a situation where you are the instructor / captain.

You can go back to school anytime. Your chance to fly the Beech is one that you may never get again. Just think of the guys in the interview that did not get the chance to be in your shoes... and they may never get it.

Start takeing classes again in 6 months when your grace peiord is up on your student loans.

logolight said:
There's at least one axe grinding instructor at EVERY airline. You just happen to get the one at your's. A few years back at ACA about half the instructors were axe grinders. My experience has been that usually the abusive instructors are the ones that are bitter because they never made it to a major and they take it out on their co-workers in the sim.

No one likes it but just jump through the hoops, nod your head while they talk their crap and get out of the sim and go home.

Agreed....The better you fly the more pissed (jealous)they get. Stick with it, remember you have it better than most 20 year olds, But in todays environment I would make sure get that lambs skin done if I were you.

be-400xpdriver said:
Are you going to quit every job that they dont treat you like gods gift to aviation?

Very good point -- 'cause that would be pretty much all flying jobs, these days. ;)

Well 21 if you count the capt. and a lap child.

22, if they're lap twins. And isn't that every captain's dream?

Man this pi$$es me off. People with attitudes should never be allowed in the training department. This is a perfect example of why. This company just invested about $10,000-$12,000 in your training and you are thinking of leaving because of a bad instructor. Training departments should be more selective IMHO.

BTW, I speak with a little experience. I was a Beech 1900 instructor for an airline for about two years. Of course if they were more selective, I probably wouldn't have gotten the job :D

Stick with it, do your degree on-line, move to a job that gives you PIC as soon as possible, the on-line degree allows you to move and still stay enrolled. You have to decide what you want to be a pilot or something else. If it is a pilot then you have approaximately 10 years to reach a career position. It is called paying your dues. And remember a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Fly because you like to.

Definitely complete IOE and spend at least a little time online. If you think you might want to come back and fly for an airline someday, do not quit during training, even if they try to intimidate you into thinking that you might get canned. Even if that's the case, get as much out of the experience, personally, as you can and let THEM tell YOU if you aren't going to make it. That's better for you, even though it's tough, and it's far more respectable than quitting because there was an arse hole instructor. There are some of those everywhere. It sounds like you got through the worst of it, so stick it out a few more weeks.

After you do that, definitely go back to school and finish your degree however you want to do it (I would say that finishing up part-time while flying would be best, if that's an option and you want to stay in the industry). Don't listen to anyone who says you don't need a degree to be a pilot. Even though there are plenty of pilots without degrees, my arguments are these:

A. It sure doesn't hurt you or make you less competitive.
B. If for ANY reason you lose or leave your pilot position, say when you're 40 (medical, company bankruptcy, whatever) finishing that degree at that point may be a lot harder than it is now, but having it will make you far more employable in higher salary ranges.
C. Finishing the degree is a challenge to many people, financially and otherwise. Completing it shows that you persevered.
D. Aside from the workplace, education, in and of itself, is a good thing.

By the way, you're not alone. Many of us have had a sh1tty airline training experience or two that really knocks the wind out of you. A little time and experience will give you a much better perspective on that (i.e., you won't give a crap a year or two from now).

Take care.

Lebowski

Definitely do not quit in training, it is a black mark that will follow you for a least five years, PIRA, extremely hard to explain in a future interview. Pilots get hired because they have the flight time the airline is looking for, flight time is more important than the degree, build time, do the degree on the side. You can build meaningful time while doing the degree on the side, you can not build meaningful flight time going to college full time. I have seen too many pilots succedd following this route. BTW the market value of a 10-20 year old unused college degree is greatly overrated. Particularily for a pilot. Been there done that.

Latest resources

Back