looking for some sim prep before ground school

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cbogacz

hey guys just wondering if anyone knows of any sim prep that i could take before going to ground school i heard A.E. sim training washes out a lot of guys and i just don't want to risk it with all that pria crap that is as long as i can make it through the captains board

They only wash out people that CAN'T FLY, you should know by now if you can fly the gauges OR NOT, doesn't matter tapes or dials, you either can fly or you can't.

D_G said:
They only wash out people that CAN'T FLY, you should know by now if you can fly the gauges OR NOT, doesn't matter tapes or dials, you either can fly or you can't.

Yes, I agree that most people that apply for job on an aircraft that is bigger than a C172 should know how to fly by that point. But some of these places take it to the extreme. Some companies have washout rates that are out of this world! Is that a sign that they constantly pick candidates that don't know how to fly? Or is that a sign that their training departments are either underperforming or simply don't care whether a candidate makes it through or not? I think it's a little of both and then some. The Feds have a hand in this one as well.

I'm surprised that we as pilots, especially regional pilots, have not addressed this in a more serious fashion. Everytime a pilot fails a PC or checkride, it diminishes his or her chances of ever moving on to greener pastures. Yes, some can be explained. But in more serious cases, such as washing out of a program, you'd have a hard time explaining that, no matter what airline you're interviewing with. I'll venture to say that training at ANY major is a hell of alot more relaxed and helpful than just about any regional. Why is that? Rules are the same, equipment is very similar to operate, and the resposibility is the same and sometimes even less than the majors. Plus, we get paid a fraction of that of some majors. An example, would be CAL. I believe they have no orals at least for F/Os. Some airplanes I believe don't even have memory items (correct me if I'm wrong). My airplane has about five million memory items and like 20 books' worth of limitations. Sucks!!!! Anybody have any answers, anybody?

if you come prepared and can hand fly an ils within atp standards (which in a simulator is not that difficult with constant winds) you should have nothing to worry about at eagle. they understand everyone has bad days and all...........

learn your flows when you get the book with them in it. Fly the paper tiger alot to learn the flows. We had some guys in my class wash out because they got in the sim and had to think about doing the flows when they were doing them which slowed the whole process down. I think one of them got to sim 5(of 8) before they had done V1 cuts because of this problem(the person in question never did V1 cuts because he was cut from the program). It was a killer for his sim partner who was on the ball with everything. Dont kid yourself into thinking that only the flying is hard, its really not, the NFP stuff is harder I think, at least in the sim with lots of emergencies, than the FP stuff. Also learn the FGC/AP in the airplane as you will use it alot in the sim. Learn what its good at and not good at, the EMB FGC sucks at localizer intercepts, everybody knows this so we plan accordingly. Use everything in the AP/Sim to your advantage. Two person crew.

threegreen said:
buy microsoft flight simulator. seriously.

If you can hand fly an approach in flight simulator you can fly an approach in any airplane in the world (at least any airplane that I've flown:laugh:).

I've had marginal sim partners at two different companies. In both cases it was not their hand flying ability that set them back, but their lack of understanding of the Flight Control Panel (autopilot) and FMS. Both came from flying old airplanes with no autopilot and no GPS. In modern "glass cockpit" airplanes you need to be proficient with an autopilot and you need to be able to program an FMS. If you had previously used an autopilot (even a basic one) and a GPS you will have an advantage in the sim. If you have never used a GPS, I suggest buying MS Flight Simulator, finding someone to show you how to program a flight plan, and practicing short cross-country flights using the autopilot and GPS. You don't even have to fly the 737 to get some benefit, the Mooney will suffice. If you become an expert in the Mooney then maybe try out the Lear.

Good luck.

cbogacz said:
hey guys just wondering if anyone knows of any sim prep that i could take before going to ground school i heard A.E. sim training washes out a lot of guys and i just don't want to risk it with all that pria crap that is as long as i can make it through the captains board

You have good cause to be worried. Eagle only keeps the best of the best. Some sim prep would be a good investment.

:rolleyes:

thanks guys ive got some experience with 430's and basic cessna auto pilots navomatic 400 and 800's anyway ill probably just load an rj in to the old flight sim 04 and fly the wings off it

Latest resources

Back