• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Long EZ vs. Veri EZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
David Orr is the an to talk to, and if anybody can find one for you, it's him. It's what he does. He's probabl more in touch with the Canard community than anyone. I flew with him a couple of months ago. Very nice guy.

I just bought a Varieze a couple of months ago. My partner and I have been doing a little tweaking here and there on it as it has been sitting for several years. One of the things that we are doing is to move the rudder pedals forward a couple of inches so that we fit in it better. The guy that built it was a littler shorter than we are. I am 5' 9" abnd my partner is about 6'0".
Some people are confused by the name of the Long EZ. It not neccessarily longer than a Varieze, it just has longer range. My Varieze has 27 gallon tanks versus the Longs 50 gallons (correct me if I'm wrong guys.) The Long is about 2 inches wider and the fuel strakes extend forward to right about where the pilots elbows are while seated. The Varieze's strakes end at the bulkhead just behind the pilot. In the Long there are cubby holes built into the strakes that serve as small (very small) baggage areas or just good places to stuff things that are needed during flight. As was mentioned above, the Varieze was designed originally around a VW engine and ment to be a day, VFR airplane. Nobody ever put the VW engine on it. The first ones had the 85hp Continental's but more and more people started adding electrical systems and lights and gyros and putting the O-200's on them. This drove the weight up on the planes so much that the approach speeds were higher than Rutan intended so he went back to the drawing board and came up with the Long EZ which had more wing area tro handle the added weight.
Mt Varieze cruises around 140kts at 2500rpm at 4500ft. That is with the O-200. With just me and half tanks (I weigh about 200lbs) I can climb at 1,000fpm initially. I haven't carried passengers yet so I'm not sure what the performance will be with 2 people. It is definetly not a short field airplane. I am still getting accustomed to the plane and am no where close to being "good" with the plane but I am limiting myself to a minimum of 4,000' of runway. The guys with more time can comfortably get in and out of 3,000' or less but I am not there yet. The palne is a blast to fly! It feels like a fighter plane with the side stick and reclined seating. It is very comfortable in the front. The back seater probably won't want to ride for longer than a couple of hours or so due to the leg room. I am looking forward to some good trips this next summer. It is a very economical way to get across country and it sure draws a crowd wherever you go!

If you think a Cessna 152 is uncomfortable...
I think of the Longeze as a sports car, something you take a ride in on the weekend then put her back in the garage. The RV's are more comfortable for travel and have the panel space to equip it for IFR flight AND you have room for some luggage. I like the RV4 myself, it's a nice balance of sport and comfort. Check one out.

Latest resources

Back