Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShyFlyGuy

Major Member
What is the major difference between the two? I am 6'4", 200 lbs and have a couple thousand hours dual in the Cessna 152. I don't have too much of a problem fitting in there, although it is uncomfortable for longer flights. I want to build one of the EZies for long-distance flights and am curious about the major differences. Any suggestions?

Shy

Well first off it's spelled "VariEze"

there is a lot of good info available on the web.

I would start with www.ez.org

It sounds like a Long-EZ is more appropriate. It is a heavier, longer-range airplane with a wider CG range. The VariEze was really designed as a VFR airplane with a very light Continental engine and no electrical system.

I've been on EZ.org (the classifieds don't work, for some reason), and I like it... although there is a lot of broken links on a lot of the projects. :( Otherwise, it's a great site.

I'm definitely looking for speed and an IFR equipped aircraft with an electric system. Ultimately, I'd like to get into a Velocity when I get a family, but I'd like to try my hand at building with the EZ series.

Does it sound like the EZ/Velocity is the right bird, or is there something else out there that might be more appropriate?

Shy

The velocity doesn't give you much other than a big cost increase.

The Long EZ is a speedy, economical design.

If you're looking at more than a two place, or might want to carry something other than a shaving kit, you might consider a Cozy.

So far as IFR...get an IFR airplane. Plastic airplanes in the weather, single engine without radar, limited instrumentation...I wouldn't.

AvBug... Good to hear from you! I knew you'd know. I did a little search and found a lot of good info on the Cozy. Thank you, any other pointers?

Shy

Last edited:
What is the major difference between the two? I am 6'4", 200 lbs and have a couple thousand hours dual in the Cessna 152. I don't have too much of a problem fitting in there, although it is uncomfortable for longer flights. I want to build one of the EZies for long-distance flights and am curious about the major differences. Any suggestions?

Shy

Keep in mind that all the canard airplanes have a pretty high landing speed, so you want to operate out of longer runways and if you have to land off airport the chances of injury are much higher with the higher landing speed. Still the longeze is a great value. You can get a nice one for about $35K.

Even though I like composites, I'd recommend a fast build RV-8 over a longeze. You'll spend more buying the kit, but you'll finish a lot faster and the RV-8 will have a much higher resale value. A lancair fast build would be awsome if you can part with the $$$.

I'm 10 years into a homebuilt, so I recommend fast build kits.

Scott

The difference between the Vari-ez and the Long EZ is that the Long was a continued design evolution resulting in an airframe that made longer distances more viable, larger engines possible, and generally a more comfortable ride all around. The Long is larger than the VEZ, with approximately 40% more wing area, different contruction materials, different canard and slightly different flight characteristics. While both aircraft are nimble handlers, VEZ's generally are slightly more responsive due to lighter weight and mass. The VEZ's usually are flown with Cont. O-200 and can be made to be VERY FAST on 100 to 125 hp.

Greater utility, IMHO is the benefit of the Long EZ. My Long is an O-320 producing at least 180 HP and I flight plan 175 KTAS cruise and beat the numbers consistently. That's with baggage pods and the wife and dog. The larger engine (O-320) makes high altitude airport departures a breeze.

While true that canards have higher landing speeds than the average Van's variant, I hardly think that 70-75 knots (usually less) is "high". Proper planning and airspeed control are essential in any aircraft...as for off airport endeavours there are many considerations besides landing speed that can result in a less than desirable outcome. I wouldn't let that stop me from flying a canard aircraft.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the info folks. Finally a thread that is worth reading. I too am interested in the Long EZ. I stand 6'3"" and don't see me squeezing into a Vari EZ. Does any one have some information on a simuliar stlye aircraft called the Bear Koot (SP?). It is much like the EZ aircraft except it was a fully retractable gear aircraft and also the canopy was more like the F4 Phantoms. (It opens from nose to tail not off to the side) Would love to know how this plane stacks up against the Long EZ in performance/cost/etc. Foe that matter do they even still excist?

The Berkut was designed by long time canard guru Dave Ronnenburg and as you mentioned had/has retractable gear and very cool split opening canopies. It also was designed for bigger engines (six cylinder Cont. or Lycoming---I'm not sure).

How it stacks up against the Long EZ:

1. It freakin' hauls a** and will likely blow the doors..er canopy off of a typical Long.

2. Cruise and climb...see above.

3. Not nearly as many flying. Parts and support will be more challenging....not impossible.

4. Don't know if any are around for sale.

5. Contact David Orr at:

[email protected]

6.Did I mention that it hauls azzzz!!

Thanks Greasman'
Got to love Wickpedia, I did a search and took a trip down memory lane. The last time I saw a Berkut was around 1998. I see what you mean with parts supply might be a problem with the company being out of business. If the a/c is an off shoot of the Long EZ I wonder if there is some parts commonality? Looks like the gear is manufactured by the folks from the EZ racer so may still be able to get some stuff there. As for any for sale there is definitely a shortage there. According to the search there were 75 kits sold and only about 20 completed and flying. I have found none offered for sale. I see what you mean about hauling azz. I would love to get my hands on the IO 540 powered model but think the 360 model probably holds it own as well. I will keep my eyes open, I guess the only sidstick I will be flying for now is FiFi the Wonder Poodle.
Thanks Again

Latest resources

Back