Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

human

Young adults stick around the house a while
By choice or financial necessity, many twentysomethings are waiting to move out.
Michael H. Hodges / The Detroit News
Advertisement
[URL="http://www.dnps.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/MOMV/300x250_mom-silenthill.gif"]http://www.dnps.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/MOMV/300x250_mom-silenthill.gif[/URL]
function NewWindow(height,width,url) {window.open(url,"ShowProdWindow","menubars=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,height="+height+",width="+width); }

It used to be, broadly speaking, that any college graduate still living at home with the parents risked being labeled a slacker, a loser or worse.
That's the sticky wicket in which Matthew McConaughey finds himself in the film "Failure to Launch," which has remained in the top 10 since its release a few weeks ago.
But in reality, it seems, twentysomethings still under the parental roof today often seem to have made calculated decisions about their finances and plans for the future.
Simply put, some young adults -- such as ---- ----, 26, or --- ----, 27 -- appear to have traded the dessert of total independence for the broccoli of paying off one's debts and saving for that first house.
----- who lives with his parents in Canton Township, is a new pilot for Northwest Air Link. Contrary to assumptions, says the graduate of ----- ------ University, a pilot's pay the first couple years starting out is surprisingly low.
"My goal is to move out on my own this year," he says, "but I need to pay off a lot of loans, want to take care of that."
----- says at least four of his friends are in the same boat.
Since he enjoys his parents -- and, as a pilot, only sleeps at home about 15 nights a month anyway -- the situation has worked out pretty well. -----admits, however, that it can pose issues when he's first chatting up a girl he likes.
"Then I remember," he says, "that this is temporary. I joke about it."

This article was just in todays detroit free press. It is my buddy so I took out his name. I think it is kind of funny. It's in the feature section. Now the general public is going to realize we are broke.

Last edited:
I wished I could have stayed at home during my first couple of yrs in this biz...i could have actually made a little money but then again i had to move to where the jobs where

Now THAT should be required reading first day in AVS 120. Hello Rantz, are you reading this? Link it now!

I saw a similar article a while ago. I liked what one mom had to say. She said that her kids can live with her after school for as long as she can live with them when she gets older.

WMUSIGPI said:
Now THAT should be required reading first day in AVS 120. Hello Rantz, are you reading this? Link it now!

And this from a guy who proudly collects unemployment. Whats wrong, Home Depot or McDonalds not hiring? If your such the worthy professional then why don't you get a job?

Lequip said:
And this from a guy who proudly collects unemployment. Whats wrong, Home Depot or McDonalds not hiring? If your such the worthy professional then why don't you get a job?

Nice. Way to go, attacking a guy who just got furloughed. Kick a guy when he's down. How American of you.

If you are in your twenties we are now known as the "Boomerang Generation." We go off to college and come right back to the parents house.

This type of story is the usual in NY. Nearly all of my friends are in the same boat as I having to remain at home longer. The cost of living on LI is insane with avg houses costing 500k and rent payments at about 1200+per mo. I fortunately have the ability (thanx to parents) to decide not to rent in attempt to save the 1200+ for a house instead. Times are changing in America as we watch the elimination of the middle class as we knew it.

And, maybe its cheap in Detriot but I think the NW Airlink guy isnt aware of his financial REALITY as a FO for a regional. I know I can't "live" on any topped out regional FO salary.

Last edited:
I did it...

I did that very thing for about a year shortly after college. I graduated and did the CFI thing for about a year at my school. That was pretty much still an extension of college, living from paycheck to paycheck, plastic crates for furniture. After a year I was fortunate enough to get hired at a regional that was very local to my parent's place. Moved back in with them, saved a ton of money. Bought a new car, got a big chunk of that paid for. After about a year, I had enough green saved to invest in some fairly nice furniture and move out on my own. Living at home has it's plus sides. I enjoyed being around all my friends and family (even if high school friends started to drift away as they tend to do), there is a feeling a security at what can be a very unsettling time in your life, and I honestly think my folks enjoyed having me around, even if it was just to help mow the lawn and have a few dinners waiting when they got home from work (I actually enjoyed riding around on the lawn mower, great chance to think, and nothing beats hanging out in the driveway grilling up some dinner).

Of course, it can be a little lame in the social life department, and after that year, I moved out on my own to another domicile a few hours away. At that point, my folks had to settle for only seeing me when I would come home to visit every few weeks.

flyinhigh6165 said:
If you are in your twenties we are now known as the "Boomerang Generation." We go off to college and come right back to the parents house.

The Jobs aren't there. The pay isn't there. Prices are very very high. Buh Bye middle class.

Latest resources

Back