• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My final answer: Resignation... thanks for the opportunity.

I am starting my 5th year at Southwest this month

Seems like a no-brainer....5 years seniority at SWA as a non-commuter vs returning to UAL as a probationary commuter pilot. Where's the question? Wish my decision was that easy. Congratulations.

Puppy,

It's not a question. But I do have some buds that are returning to UAL and I have talked with them about how things are going. They are as nervous as can be, and I don't like to see my friends like that. One in particular has a family of 5 to provide for. He is a great guy and optimistic, but I know he is feeling the pressure... as would any of us. I really do hope the best for the furloughees returning. That being said, the 59 year olds have had their shot, let someone else have a career. FWIW.

Puppy,

It's not a question. But I do have some buds that are returning to UAL and I have talked with them about how things are going. They are as nervous as can be, and I don't like to see my friends like that. One in particular has a family of 5 to provide for. He is a great guy and optimistic, but I know he is feeling the pressure... as would any of us. I really do hope the best for the furloughees returning. That being said, the 59 year olds have had their shot, let someone else have a career. FWIW.

What was his hire date and what is he nervous about? Merger? Another furlough?

Just trying to get the pulse of the folks there. I'm at JB now and not very happy and am seriously considering returning to UA. I'm sure I'll have to make that decision soon.

Rest assured, whether I choose to stay at JB or return to UA, I'll make the wrong decision.

Cheers!

GP

What is the prime issue at JB that makes it unpleasant? Is it something you think will be better at UAL?
This is not flamebait: I just don't follow what goes on at JB, and am curious.

Resigned. Had to make my final decision last month. Never thought 5 years ago that my decision would be easy, but so much has changed in the last 5.5 years. In my 5th year at AirTran and am in the left seat of the 737. I am number 650 out of 1500 here. Had a great time the short time I was there. Good luck to everyone.

What was his hire date and what is he nervous about? Merger? Another furlough?

Just trying to get the pulse of the folks there. I'm at JB now and not very happy and am seriously considering returning to UA. I'm sure I'll have to make that decision soon.

Rest assured, whether I choose to stay at JB or return to UA, I'll make the wrong decision.

Cheers!

GP

Mainly merger mania, but he is also concerned about age 60/65 and possibly another furlough out of that.

As far as wrong decisions, if you find a crystal ball that works, let me know. So far this SWA gig has worked out great, and I really enjoy going to work. However, after being bitten once by "the last airline I'll ever work for (words spoken at TK by Chris Campion)" I don't put too much faith in any airline being bulletproof. That being said, if I lose the job at SWA, then it's time to find another line of work. Take care.

To all furloughees,

United has made recall offers to all 2172 furloughed United pilots! The most junior pilots to accept recall will be returning in the 26 February 2007 recall class, nearly five and half years after they were furloughed. A total of 871 pilots bypassed while United worked down the recall list, allowing furloughed pilots who were ready to return to United the opportunity to return sooner. Recall Bypass rights have now expired and United has started the process of recalling pilots in inverse seniority order to fill all future recall classes. The first 99 “Final Recall Notices” have been issued to fill the 26 February 2007 and the recently announced 26 March 2007 recall classes. There are also 26 pilots who have voluntarily come off of Recall Bypass to return in these two classes as well.

The following are the recall statistics as of 7 February 2007:

As of the 5 February 2007 recall class:
Recalled - Active Status 716 Total in 2007 87
Recalled – LOA 529
Bypassed 823
Resigned (going down the list) 31
Retired (over age 60) 2
Deceased 3

Total Pilots remaining on Furlough/Furlough Bypass 891

Including the 26 February and 26 March 2007 recall classes:

Total Offered Recall 2172
Total Furlough Status 0 (have not been offered recall)
Total Offered “Final Recall 99
Total Responses to date 2109

Recalled - Active or Accepted 743 35.2%
Recalled - LOA or LOA upon return 557 26.4%
Bypassed or Verbal Bypass 744 35.3%
Resigned, Retired or Deceased 65 3.1%

I realize that the decision to return to United or resign will be a very emotional decision for many of you. How fast the “Final Recall Offer” will get to you will depend on several factors. First and foremost will be the number and size of the recall classes. Initial offers have been made for the 26 March 2007 recall class and United is currently planning two (2) classes in both April and May. Class size for the planned classes has not been decided and will be determined by staffing need and training availability, which will be influenced by those who are returning from LOA. The next two (2) factors are the resignation rate and how many pilots voluntarily come off of bypass. To help you prognosticate where you are on the Recall Bypass list I have created a “Recall Bypass Seniority List” which I will be updating as United works their way back up the list; it is available on the Furlough – Recall Info page of the UAL MEC website, which you can access by logging on to http://crewroom.alpa.org.

Bob Neil has reported that there are still several pilots who have “Bad Addresses” on file with United. If you did not receive the “Recall Bypass Expiration Letter” that was mailed to you in mid December 2006 or your initial recall you should contact Bob Neil with an address update if you are still interested in returning to United. If your final recall offer is returned due to a bad address or United does not receive “Notice of intent to accept offer of recall” within 14 days after receipt, by anyone, at the address on file, you will “not be entitled to recall as provided in Paragraph 7-A of this Section and shall forfeit all seniority...” (Section 7-D).

If I can be of any other assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

DEN award wait-time

Feb furloughee returns....anyone wanting DEN--and how long do you guess till you are awarded DEN?

Powda5:

I friend of mine returned from furlough in December. Awarded ORD 300, and has already gotten the lateral back to Denver for March. On the last bid award last week, everyone who asked for Denver got it on the 300, and there were still 5 unfilled Denver bids on the guppie.

If you do not already have a bid in for Denver, do it ASAP and you may have it before you leave training upon your return. I assume you can put in a lateral request while on a LOA?

Good luck. And Congratulations on making the tough decision to return. Driving to work is a beautiful thing once you get back to Denver which will be soon. I am on reserve in Denver and if you don't want to work, you can do pretty well right now. I had 22 days off last month and only flew 39 hours. The short/long call system is pretty nice. If you are long call and live where you are based, you have a 13 hour call out. That means you can do stuff like go skiing on your reserve days, unless you are short call, which they give you about 4 hours. This month so far I have only flown 10 hours. The 70 hour guarantee is less than I would like, but not working is awesome. I assume this summer it will get crazier again. So...I'll enjoy it while I can.

Regards,

BigRed1

Latest resources

Back