Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe you meant something else, but just to clarify:
- UAL doesn't need to "approve" military leave: it's a federal law.
- If you don't have a personal leave already approved, you will have to apply separately from the recall package to get one. BTW, they aren't likely to grant an personal LOA either should you apply now.

Yep, I could have phrased that better. I understand USSERA, etc.

Per the Recall Response Form: "If you accept recall and request a personal or military leave of absence, you must receive confirmation from Untied Airlines approving both the leave of absence and the expected duration of the absence"

Did anyone receive this confirmation and/or their assigment for the 22 Jan class via the mail?

Thanks again.

PB,

I talked to Bob Neil about this a couple of weeks ago over the phone and he said we'd receive a package in the mail after the class start date (for those on mil leave not attending) with info on how to get our ID, etc.

I asked him if my mil leave was approved and he said it was automatic unless you're asking for >6 years mil leave since that's more than what the contract allows.

Regarding LOAs, this was posted on the halfwingers forum:
"BTW, didn't have to give a reason to UAL for a leave request of that
duration. Bob Neil indicated 90 day leaves have almost unilaterally been
approved with no explanations needed."

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
C5 Guy

Thank you. That's exactly the information I needed!

How did you know about the DCA767? Were you in the 5 Mar 01 class?

PB

Last edited:
PB,

Glad to be of help.

Bob told me over the phone about my bid. He and another individual in his office work the bids ~3-4 weeks prior to the class date. I recommend giving him a call. He is an awesome guy. I called once, got his voicemail, and didn't leave a message. He called me back becuase he had a missed call from me. Truly outstanding.

I was a 4 Feb 01 newhire.

From what I've heard, because I'm on Mil leave my bid is only a paper bid. So, the actual slot will go to someone actually attending the training. 2 for 1 deal I guess.

So if you have a 'paper bid', what happens when you DO pick a class date to attend? Will it be the same process all over again fitting your paper preferences with what aircraft/bases are anticipated for the new class date?

If so, am I right to guess that it doesn't matter what you get awarded for your Feb 5th date? That it will just go to someone else on Feb 5, and you may as well not have put a preference?

Your paper bid, is your bid. If your going on MLOA or LOA, the training slot goes to someone else who is attending the recall class. When you return off of MLOA or LOA, you will train in the aircraft you were awarded on the paper bid. You are frozen in that aircraft for 36 months and the clock starts on the recall date, not when you come back. However, you can lateral to another domicile while on MLOA or LOA. Hope that helps.

With the possibility of United hiring, I'm curious if reserves and line holders go much over guarantee at United? What kind of days off and credit could a mid-seniority lineholder on the 737 or Airbus have in ORD? Historically, has that been a pretty easy base to hold? Any other opinions/comments would be great too.

Latest resources

Back