• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At this point, I think every furloughee has been out long enough to incur the 36 month freeze no matter what equipment they are given.

Not necessarily true. If you require the full training course, you will incur the 36 month seat lock.
I was furloughed Mar 02. I've been out of the airbus long enough to require the full course. If I bid airbus, I'll still incur the 36 month seat lock because I've been out of the equipment for almost 5 yrs. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know. I currently plan on bidding 737 and hope for the bump off of it.

I checked the contract Andy. You are right. If you have been out for more than 2 years, which I guess applies to most of you now, you will have to go through the entire aircraft specific program. Any program lasting more than 12 days of training results in a 36 month freeze. It was a bigger deal for the first group of guys back because most went through a Requal program that lasted just over a week. If they came back to the same plane, no freeze. Come back to a new plane, stuck for three years.

Hard to believe it has been so long for a lot of you. 2001 and 2002 seems like a lifetime ago...Which...I suppose is why so many bybassers have probably moved on and won't return. Just my guess though. Good if you are junior, because so many of those senior to you will not be around anymore and will result in some new hires coming along shortly to fill in behind you.

Just as an opinion, I think one of the best future domiciles will be in IAD. That is where all the expansion is going, and with all the international growth to places like Rome, Kuwait, and hopefully China with the Beijing route authority victory along with the recently moved Narita service from JFK, there will be a lot more upgrade avialability to the bigger jets. Just use caution as a commuter on reserve or as a line holder as well when you first get back because you will have to cover BWI, IAD, and DCA on the 300 or the 320. It is also like that in SFO with SJC and OAK, and in LAX with BUR, ONT, and SNA. FYI, there is no more 300 in LAX or SFO.

Not necessarily true. If you require the full training course, you will incur the 36 month seat lock.
I was furloughed Mar 02. I've been out of the airbus long enough to require the full course. If I bid airbus, I'll still incur the 36 month seat lock because I've been out of the equipment for almost 5 yrs. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know. I currently plan on bidding 737 and hope for the bump off of it.

FYI concerning training freezes. I was told by Bob Neil that if you are accepting recall and immediately going on MIL LOA or a personal LOA due to a training contract, your training freeze will start from the date of your recall class as if you went to school. It does not start when you eventually go to school following your return from LOA. So, you will actually be working off part of your freeze while your completeing your LOA. Also, once assigned, you can not bid to a different jet until your freeze is over.

I do have a question about positive space travel when recalled to a different domicile. If a pilot accepts recall and goes on MIL LOA or a personal LOA due to a training contract, do the positive space passes start when your recall class starts, or when you actually go back to work for UAL? I obviously would not need them until I go back to fly for UAL, so I hope they would start then. Also, when would you be paid for a paid move? When you accept recall, or go back to work? Thanks!

Last edited:
I wonder how many will resign once United hits the bottom of the seniority list. Good luck to all with your upcoming decision.

E-mail dated 10/25/06:
United has announced the first recall class of 2007. Offers or recall have been made for an 8 January 2007 recall class. There were 84 initial recall offerings made for this recall class plus an additional 15 pilots coming off of recall bypass. Recall has been offered down to seniority number 8371 (DOH 29 October 2000).

The following are the recall statistics as of 20 October 2006:
As of the 16 October 2006 recall class:
Recalled - Active Status 554
Recalled – LOA 328
Bypassed 767
Resigned 22

Including the 6 November, 4 December 2006 and 8 January 2007 recall classes:
Total Offered Recall 1884
Total Furlough Status 288 (have not been offered recall)
Total Responses to date 1824
Recalled - Active or Accepted 623 34.2%
Recalled - LOA or LOA upon return 419 23.0%
Bypassed or Verbal Bypass 782 42.9%
Resigned 22 1.2%

Total Pilots remaining on Furlough/Furlough Bypass 1055

We still have not been informed of any future recall class dates for 2007, but we are anticipating that classes will run similarly to those held in the beginning of 2006. Based on the current statistics, we believe that initial recall offers will be made to all United furloughees by a February or March 2007 recall class offering. As we near this milestone more information will be made available concerning the recall process once recall bypass is no longer an option

LOAs?

Gents

I'm looking for some help here...

What's the latest on LOAs? Does an AFRC/ANG Technition job (technically a civillian GS-13) qualify for military LOA? Has anyone had any luck with this one?

If not, what type of justification is required for personal LOA? What contstitutes a contract?

Thank you in advance,

P

Powda5:

If you come back to a new airplane, you will incure a new freeze of 36 months. If you come back to the same equipment, you will not. That is important to know if you plan to bidding the B767 somewhere, which is easily doable in the first year back if you can stomach being on reserve longer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually no matter what plane you come back to, if you were furloughed more than 3 years, you get a seat lock........I will double check that info though....

The following is from the latest SSC (system schedule committee) minutes just posted on the ALPA sight for UAL from September. I especially like the last line.

"Recall Update.......The september 25th class consisted of 37 active pilots (2 coming off leaves); there were 59 pilots that elected to take leaves (mostly Military Leave) for a total of 94 pilots recalled. There will be 30 pilots in the October 16th class, 20 pilots in the November 6th class, and a recently announced class of 20 pilots on December 4th. this will bring the yearly total to 395. The company also recently announced plans for a need of at least 300 additional pilots in 2007. The SSC feels that with 250 retirements planned for 2007, many more than 300 pilots will be needed to solve the myriad of manpower issues. The company also mentioned that with only 368 pilots on furlough who have not been offered recall and the probability that a low number of pilots will accept recall when the company goes back up the list, they are considering the possibility of new hires as early as next fall."

Good news for us all.

Fly safe.

BigRed1

Jumped Ship

UAL-GSO:

Looks like you bailed from the Tran. Im still on the fence. The commute is killing me. Give me the low-down. PM'd you. Grizz

Hey Grizz,
I went back to UAL last month after 1 1/2 years at Airtran. Tranny has nice airplanes and a good pilot group overall, but they definitely have a few Captains with serious chips on their shoulders. Everyone has their own reasons to stay or leave. I made my decision and I am moving forward - not looking back. Best of luck - I sent you a p.m. also.
UAL-GSO

A friend of mine was called this past Friday for a recall. He was a late November 2000 hire. He was told they were calling the Dec 2000 class already.

Latest resources

Back