• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From the latest MEC update today. FYI...

"Discussing recalled furloughed pilots, Captain Hamilton said that, including the October 15, November 6 and December 4 recall classes, 1,741 pilots have responded to recall offers, with 584 (33.5 %) accepting recall, 390 (22.4 %) receiving Leaves of Absence, 752 (43.2 %) bypassing and 15 (0.08 %) resigning. The Company extended an additional 53 recall offers, but as of this date, all responses have not yet been received."

My take:

As a line holding 320 First Officer in LAX, I can tell all of you prospective returning furloughees, we need you back. We consistantly SRM/JRM, and the reserves are flying more towards 90 rather than 70. All the bashing you hear about UAL is over blown. If you can stomach flying the lowest paying equipment and the work rules associated with the LCO, then you can stomach anything.

We currently have 4 unfilled LAX 767 bids and we had 2 on the last bid unfilled. My point is, there are other options that will come available to you and if you don't want to fly the narrow gauge equipment, you won't have to for long. But it really is NOT that bad. Now...If you are commuting to reserve to cover several airports, that is not the wisest decision. But on that note, if you are recalled to a domicile other that that in which you were furloughed from, you will receive positive space BP-3 passes for the first 6 months, and fee-waived BP-8 passes for the next 6 months. If you choose to move to your new domicile, it is fully paid for by UAL. By the end of the first year, you should either be off reserve, or taking a bid to another domicile/equipment.

I am an 8 year 320 f/o, and I make roughly $8,000 a month give or take $500, plus per diem of another $700 per month. If you add in the 15 percent B and C fund cash payments to my retirement account, I think a $9,500 per month pay package for a 320 F/O is not too bad, without even including my free medical and dental (that is for HMO/DMO though).

Is it as good as the $12,000 per month I used to make? Nope. Will we get a better contract as our careers progress in a few years? Probably. Are you coming back to a line holding 8th year pay position? No you are not. But you'll be there before you know it and if I am making a comfortable living flying the smallest airplane UAL has, it will only go up from here flying the bigger birds and flying as Captain.

For those of you who had the option to bypass, that was a great thing because it has given you the luxary of time to make a more informed decision. It will also enable you to return to UAL with more seniority. Reading the discussion on the Majors board about whether a pilot should come bask to UAL or go to JetBlue is interesting. My opinion, United all the way. JetBlue has good people. But so do we. We have been through rough times, but there is no where to go but up for us. JetBlue is un proven in the whole scheme of airline survival. A 7 year old airline versus an 80 year old stalworth is a risky scenerio. Is JetBlue gonna be hear in 80 years? Who knows. Is UAL gonna be around for another 80 years? ...If we haven't been shut down with 9/11, SARS, terrorism, 2 wars, Bird Flu, 78 dollar oil, Bankruptcy, recession, and countless other setbacks, I don't think much can take us down next time. The key to a successful career is keeping your company viable and in business. It may take a lot of hits during the bad times, but there will be good times ahead as well. That is just the business of flying these days. It has always been that way. UAL is as lean as we have ever been. The STAR Alliance is a global powerhouse. If we merge with anyone will the junior guy get screwed? No...Because you just assured your longevity position as a pilot with the largest most powerful new airline in existance, junior or not.

In summary, it is not as good as it used to be. You can still make a great living flying even the smallest and most junior equipment. We have been around a long time, and that means something. It got as bad as it is gonna get, and I feel it will only get better. Do not resign...Come back to United. We want and need you back.

Just my opinion. Take it for what its worth. I guess in the end, you still have to love flying airplanes. Because that is the bases for everything that is important. The love of flying airplanes.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. Hope it helps. Any other questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

From the latest MEC update today. FYI...

"Discussing recalled furloughed pilots, Captain Hamilton said that, including the October 15, November 6 and December 4 recall classes, 1,741 pilots have responded to recall offers, with 584 (33.5 %) accepting recall, 390 (22.4 %) receiving Leaves of Absence, 752 (43.2 %) bypassing and 15 (0.08 %) resigning. The Company extended an additional 53 recall offers, but as of this date, all responses have not yet been received."

A lot of those bypassers are starting to come back. I bypassed the Sep class and tried to get in the Dec class (not likely); would've been #5. I could go in the Jan class as #7 (as of now), but told the Bob Neil that I'd take Dec or Feb. I'm just trying to get a better choice since I'll be on mil leave for a long time.

So what did you get? What was available? Thanks!

I was/am #9 in the October class and received 320/DCA. I'll be on mil. leave (Bogata vacation) until April. Not sure how many in the Oct recall class got 757, but there were 10 vacancies, so I assume those already on the line snagged those, or most of them.

JS & Medical

A little thread drift, but I think I found my audience. Do I need a current medical to JS while on mil leave (recalled)?

Thanks,
G3G4G5

But on that note, if you are recalled to a domicile other that that in which you were furloughed from, you will receive positive space BP-3 passes for the first 6 months, and fee-waived BP-8 passes for the next 6 months. If you choose to move to your new domicile, it is fully paid for by UAL. By the end of the first year, you should either be off reserve, or taking a bid to another domicile/equipment.

Would you get positive space back to the old Domicile (SFO)? Or would they do it from the place you currently live or your choice? I was based SFO and live in DEN now...

But on that note, if you are recalled to a domicile other that that in which you were furloughed from, you will receive positive space BP-3 passes for the first 6 months, and fee-waived BP-8 passes for the next 6 months. If you choose to move to your new domicile, it is fully paid for by UAL. By the end of the first year, you should either be off reserve, or taking a bid to another domicile/equipment.

Would you get positive space back to the old Domicile (SFO)? Or would they do it from the place you currently live or your choice? I was based SFO and live in DEN now...

Powda5:

You will receive positive space tickets from your current residence on file with UAL on the UG-100. You just go onto Skynet, Weblist, click on positive space booking and book your desired flight. Then you call your current domicile flight office and have them confirm it. If you live in Denver, it will be an easier commute because of the frequency of flights on UAL. A likely scenerio is a recall to LAX, SFO, ORD, or IAD on the A320 or 300. You will have BP-3 passes for 6 months, and then fee waived BP-7 passes for the next 6 months. I actually mis spoke on the above quote about the BP-8s. They are actually BP-7s which get you on ahead of other Non-Revs. Hopefully by the end of the first year, you will have a bid back to Denver and live happily ever after. Albiet on reserve for a long time because Denver is senior. One gotcha though on these BP-3s. If the plane is completely sold out, ie. the day before Thanksgiving, they will not bump a revenue passenger to get you on. Therefore, these "positive space" passes are only good if there is actually a seat available at the time. Now, once you lock in your seat, they cannot sell the seat you have reserved, so the key is to book as quickly as possible when you think you will need a seat. A short call reserve assignment the night before Thanksgiving might be a tough situation. I know this because I found out the hard way during my 7 month commute from ORD to LAX. Of course, if they need you bad enough, they will find you a seat. The flight office actually called the dierctor of inventory management and unlocked a seat just for lil' ol' me.

I hope I am understanding your question correctly. Now, if you are recalled to the same domicile in which you were furloughed from, I do not think you are eligable for the paid move or passes because in theory, nothing changed. So, if you want the passes, do not bid back to your old domicile, bid ORD, IAD, or LAX instead. If you come back to a new airplane, you will incure a new freeze of 36 months. If you come back to the same equipment, you will not. That is important to know if you plan to bidding the B767 somewhere, which is easily doable in the first year back if you can stomach being on reserve longer.

Regardless of whether or not you are moving, you all will be entitled to 3 transfer days which will need to be used within the first 90 days following your IOE and release to the line at your new domocile. It is a nice way to get out of some reserve days in a pinch. You will coordinate your transfer days through your new flight office.

Hope this helps. I speak from personal experience as I was furloughed, recalled to a new domicile, commuted for a while, then took a paid move. PM me if you have any other questions and I would be happy to answer them if I can.

IIf you come back to a new airplane, you will incure a new freeze of 36 months. If you come back to the same equipment, you will not.

Not necessarily true. If you require the full training course, you will incur the 36 month seat lock.
I was furloughed Mar 02. I've been out of the airbus long enough to require the full course. If I bid airbus, I'll still incur the 36 month seat lock because I've been out of the equipment for almost 5 yrs. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know. I currently plan on bidding 737 and hope for the bump off of it.

Latest resources

Back