Lasik eye surgery

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tbkane

Any commercial pilot out there have Lasik done? Looking for advise as I am thinking about having it done. Wondering what it requires to get and keep your medical and if you have any recommendations.

and yes I did do a search and didn't find any other threads on this...

I haven't had it done, but have thought about it and researched it some. I think that the FAA medical cert. site has some info. regarding the process for follow up to the surgery and steps for your doctor to get you back in the air. www.christenbury.com is the site for a LASIK surgeon in Charlotte, it has a downloadable PDF file that has tons of good info. from the history of eye surgery to current procedures. Hope this helps.

Lasik

I would only have this procedure done after three doctors examined my eye's.
Leftseat.com has all the info.
I had two doctor's tell me that I was a perfect canidate,I chose to get a third opinion who said no way. The reason being my pupil's are larger than the laser is approved to cut. Long story made longer if I would have completed this I would have lost my license because of the haloing effect. Just my 2 cent's worth of info. I also know of alot of succesful case's

I did ask a few doctors about this and the normal answer is,
"No procedure is without risk, If your life and job require you to see 20/20 and you can correct to this with contacts or glasses, Why on earth would you risk all you have worked so hard to attain with this procedure? "
There is always a chance that you cannot correct to 20/20 after the procedure. No doctor will guarantee this. NOT WORTH RISKING MY JOB if you ask me.

I recently retired and had lasik eye surgery done. I wanted to do it before retirement but was concerned about the outcome being career ending. I found the form to submit to the FAA after your eyes stabilize but haven't submitted it because I have no plans to fly again. I have my six month followup exam coming soon and could have him complete it but I don't think there is any reason to since I won't need it. I am sure if I submitted it I could renew my physical which is still current.

Did it 5 years ago, no problems, result 20/15 in both eyes FAA is ok as long as you can pass the eye exam with no waiting period to start work again, Check out Canada they have the latest government paid equipment, more experience and good price.

My father is an optometrist and he says the risk is still 1 in 1000 that you will have halos. Those odds are good to the regular employee but imagine if you were that one as a pilot.

I had it done in June, and had to have a touch uo done in my right eye last month. Best thing I ever did. Had been wearing glasses for 30 years, and contacts for 26 years. I was told that if I continued wearing my contacts I would end up with major problems.

After it was done my left eye was 20/20 in less then a week, but the right one stayed at about 20/50. I had a small rx in glasses made until they could do the touch up on my right one. 3 days adter they did the touch up my right one was at 20/30, and has been getting better every day. Vision currently is better than it EVER was in glasses or contacts. But if you have it done pay for someone good. Don't go to one of the puppy mills, open the wallet and get the best around.

FWIW Cathay Pacific WILL NOT employ pilots who have had LASIK, irrespective of when it was done or the net effect on the individuals' vision.

Had it done when I was laid off the first time approx April of 2003. As said before it was the best money I had ever spent! Dr Tafor(sp) at the Windsor Lazer Eye Institute was well worth it!

Latest resources

Back