• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Laptop Computer Stolen at Hotel Brkfst Area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
clamidia three times? Dude, you should learn to change clams after the first time.

Notebooks have a key combination to reset the bios. Setting a bios password isn't a deterrent at all for someone who knows computers and could be figured out by someone who didn't but had internet access in about 5 minutes. Its really a waste of your time because you are the only one inconvenienced by it.

Notebooks have a key combination to reset the bios. Setting a bios password isn't a deterrent at all for someone who knows computers and could be figured out by someone who didn't but had internet access in about 5 minutes. Its really a waste of your time because you are the only one inconvenienced by it.
There is no password, neither BIOS nor HDD, that I can't bypass in one boot cycle. Any half-@ss computer geek can do it.

Guys, please don't trust a password to keep your secrets on a stolen computer. :(

Minh

BIOS passwords are a temporary irritation to the uninitiated, at best. At worst they're a false sense of security. The only way to securely handle this situation is to assume they read EVERYTHING on the laptop, know exactly what the information is for, and intend to cause you as much harm as possible. Then act accordingly. It's a pain, but it's the only close-to-sure way to avoid disaster.

If they have physical access to the machine, they win - No passwords or encryption can protect you from a determined person. I fix them for a living, and even the "new" windows EFS is mostly useless when the bad guys have your machine. (Hint: The decryption key is stored somewhere on the machine to "protect" you, someone skilled can recover the key. If you can open the file, so can they.)

A friend of mine who works in enterprise security has a neat solution - He has a Powerbook that he hacked such that his important data is encrypted, then split into 3 pieces. One piece is on the laptop itself, and another one is on his iPod (which is never in the same bag as the laptop), the third is stored on a colocated server on the Internet. Getting access to the data requires Internet access (meaning the laptop can be tracked) and 3 levels of passwords. He does admit that it's really unweildy and he uses it mostly to show off to potential clients, but it does work.

He has a Powerbook that he hacked such that his important data is encrypted, then split into 3 pieces. One piece is on the laptop itself, and another one is on his iPod (which is never in the same bag as the laptop), the third is stored on a colocated server on the Internet. Getting access to the data requires Internet access (meaning the laptop can be tracked) and 3 levels of passwords.
Geezus! :eek:

I bow to his most awesome Geekness!

:D

Minh
(Only Half-geek)

Not all notebook BIOS passwords can be reset so easily. But nonetheless, they ALL can be with a little effort. My old Powerbook has a physical switch on the motherboard that can be used to reset it, and it takes me about 15 minutes to take it apart to access the switch. So it's a pain, but it can be done.

The reality is that a very determined thief can access your data given the time. It doesn't matter what method you use to secure it. So if your data is so unbelievably important that you absolutely can't afford to have it stolen - don't store it on a device such as a laptop, iPod, or whatever that can be easily taken.

I had a laptop stolen at LAX (SW terminal). After I put it on the X-ray belt, there was a (contrived) hangup before I could enter the metal detector, and when I got through, the computer was gone. Classic, old game, but I was caught.

FWIW, the TSA brainiacs would not let me wait until the congestion eased, and insisted I put my goods on the belt while I waited on the groiund side. I supect they may have been part of the scheme. Poof. Gone.

Flechas said:
Were you tested for it? Sounds like a real torture....

Yeah, they have to get a very personal culture with a swab. I thought I was going to jump through the ceiling. I was not expecting that!

Kream926: Just south of Albany, in Greene Country. Learned to fly in Freehold, NY, at the base of the Catskill Mtns.

My new laptop is here! Fedex tried to deliver but couldn't, I'm up in PA for a couple of days now, using a business center computer. Grr.

-PJ

falcon20driver said:
Excellent idea, I have a boot password on my laptop. If there's anyone that doesn't know how to do that, you do it in your BIOS, I believe you hit F10 before windows starts booting to enter the BIOS settings, than find your security setting and set a password, VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO FORGET THAT ONE THOUGH.

Anyone know if it's possible to get around that BIOS password?

It is possible to get around this, and it is actually pretty easy. Since the password is stored on the BIOS chip and not the actual hardrive there is two ways to bypass it. One, most motherboards, and I believe laptops as well, have a jumper you simply move over one spot and the resest the BIOS memory to factory defaults, erasing the password. Two, the idiot crook way, is to remove the BIOS battery for a period of time (2 hours I think) and the BIOS will loose its settings and rever to factory settings, erasing the password.

Bottom line, other than finding a way to deadbolt your laptop shut any important info you put on there is accesible if stolen.

Another thing, be sure you have ALL FILE SHARING turned off, even printers and faxes if you use wireless networks a lot, especially in airports and hotels. I have been sitting in a terminal and had my firewall pop up saying an unauthorized access was attempted by such and such IP address.

There are reall a$$holes out there that have way too much time on their hands and Windows has way too many holes for them to exploit. Ya'll be careful with this stuff.

Latest resources

Back