Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

puddlejumper

Unemployed /Contract User
Hey everybody. I just wanted to share my experience with you all. I was at a decent Hilton Garden Inn in Seacaucus, NJ (near TEB) and had my laptop stolen. I wanted to remind everyone to be careful and not take anything for granted. It has always been fairly typical for me to bring my bags down to the breakfast area after checking out of a hotel. Most Hiltons have someone serving coffee, but this one didn't. The waitress took the food order, but I had to go up to the buffet area for the java. I normally wouldn't think anything of leaving my stuff at the table for a minute, but this past Saturday morning, that was a bad idea.

These guys came in and sat down at a table near me. The table wasn't cleaned up yet, so that was a little weird. One dude put his jacket over the back of a chair nearest my table. There were lots of other patrons nearby. When I came back from getting a refill, my laptop bag was gone and so were the three guys. Apparently, they stuck my bag under the jacket and took off, nearly knocking over another patron. The Jet Aviation van driver was outside and saw the guy running off with a jacket concealing something but had no idea what was going on. By the time I got back and saw my bag was gone, the had a good 2 minute headstart.

Anyway, I asked around, called the police and the hotel manager, the driver and a couple others had a decent description of the guy for the officer. There's no way I'll be seeing that laptop ever again. I changed all of my passwords of accounts they could have accessed on my computer and filed a homeowner's insurance claim.

My logbook was on there (Logbook Pro) and my backup thumbdrive was in the bag too! I just recently bought a new battery, hard drive and ram upgrade, dumping like $400 into this 2 1/2 year old laptop. Ugh!

Moral of the story... Be careful with your valuables. I know I will be more cognizant of my surroundings and never leave my stuff somewhere that it could be stolen. Jet actually told me that this has happened in the past. Most likely it will happen again. Be careful out there!

-PJ

That sucks bro. I'd be calling all the pawn shops in the area with serial numbers and such. Never know what might turn up.

Sorry to hear about that. I stayed at that EXACT hotel about 3 weeks ago. Didn't take my stuff down to the breakfast, but I'll definitely remember that when I go back there. The java was outside the buffet room if I remember correctly. Also, weren't there waiters/waitresses serving the drinks?

sorry to hear........

if you saw dude put his jacket on your chair, wouldnt you want to back and inquire as to why he was doing it?

That brings up an excellent point. I keep backups of all my important stuff on a thumb drive as well and guess where I keep it? In the computer bag. Not any more, it goes in the suitcase.

Also a very good idea to have a password to boot the computer, that way if it is stolen they can't get anything off it.

Singlecoil said:
Also a very good idea to have a password to boot the computer, that way if it is stolen they can't get anything off it.

Excellent idea, I have a boot password on my laptop. If there's anyone that doesn't know how to do that, you do it in your BIOS, I believe you hit F10 before windows starts booting to enter the BIOS settings, than find your security setting and set a password, VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO FORGET THAT ONE THOUGH.

Anyone know if it's possible to get around that BIOS password?

Singlecoil said:
That brings up an excellent point. I keep backups of all my important stuff on a thumb drive as well and guess where I keep it? In the computer bag. Not any more, it goes in the suitcase.

Thats a great idea!! Thats what I do!!

falcon20driver said:
Excellent idea, I have a boot password on my laptop. If there's anyone that doesn't know how to do that, you do it in your BIOS, I believe you hit F10 before windows starts booting to enter the BIOS settings, than find your security setting and set a password, VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO FORGET THAT ONE THOUGH.

Anyone know if it's possible to get around that BIOS password?
Really dont know

that sucks, i'm sorry to hear that, especially after you dumped so much MORE money in it with upgrades. it's crap like that which makes me lose faith in humanity a lot. i hope it all turns out ok, and i hope the guys that stole your stuff get chlamydia.

Latest resources

Back