Kit Darby's Pilot Shortage is Wrong

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Has Kit Darby EVER been right?

Has Mr. Darby EVER been honest about anything? It is easy to invent "pilot shortages" when you make tons of money from gullible people.

Last edited:
You guys just never noticed the fine print.

Pilot job Shortage.

If single pilot cockpits come they will come with high insurance and tougher rest requirements. UAV airliner, I don't think so not in my lifetime, which I hope is at least another 60 years. If a military UAV crashes who really cares, a UAV type airliner crashes then it is a big deal. How many times have you sat in the cockpit and said "what the hell is this thing doing now?" or how many times have you been asked to pull a sequence of CB's to reset a system? Our job has become so undesirable these days that a lack of new pilots combined with retirements starting in 2012 will help fuel a pilot shortage. Like everything in life we will have to wait and see, for now I will continue to play in the sand box, make some money and put lots away just in case things don't turn around like we hope.

I'm sure it will recover, just may take a few years. I know that in a few years at Delta, not sure exactly when it starts - I would have to look again, but over a period of 5 years we retire over 800 pilots a year. That is 1/3 of our entire pilot staff gone in a 5 year period.

I saw those numbers too. United is similar and so is amr and usair. There will definetaly be pilot hiring but no shortage. 1000 turbine pic wont go away lets put it that way.

I'd like to see the number of pilots who can actually hold a class one medical certificate until 65!

You've obviously never spent any time in a busy corporate aviation FBO...

"The number of pilots, flight attendants and ground crew workers is shrinking as consolidation and the recession have hurt the industry badly."

This article is garbage. Consolidation is actually helping the industry. This belongs with the "Ten ways to pick hot stocks" and "Ten ways to tell someone loves you" and all the other journalist BS.

It's kinda like in high school when you had to write a report but didn't really feel like it, so you pulled something out of your @$$. That's what most journalism is like now.

As far as a pilotless aircraft, keep in mind the Turkish accident in Amsterdam, where failure of the autothrust caused a stall. Although the pilots didn't recover, without a human crew, an aircraft in that situation would definitely crash.

As far as a pilotless aircraft, keep in mind the Turkish accident in Amsterdam, where failure of the autothrust caused a stall. Although the pilots didn't recover, without a human crew, an aircraft in that situation would definitely crash.

:confused: So, even with pilots, they crashed......... but you're saying without pilots in that aircraft it would have really, really crashed? :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back