Jumpseat 101 for FEDEX Pilot.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thedude said:
Turns out all of the indiviuals we had trouble with were Air Force and most of them just happened to work for CO.

Jesus christ - here we go again - this guy opening up another can of worms. I love his "civi baby" bullsh$t next to his background. Yeah, you got me, I always shy away from trying to be polite when I meet someone or someone offers me a ride. My folks taught me to be friendly and outgoing, but sure enough, the AF told me to forget that and be a d*ck. Give me a break.

Thedude said:
Not to throw rocks, but it has been my experience that pull crap like that tend to be military and I would bet you he went straight from the military to Fedex.

Several yrs ago, when I worked at the commuters we use to have trouble with a few jumpseaters. They usually did not introduce themselves and the thought of even asking for a ride was benenth them. I might get a slap on the back as they walked past the cockpit. We had one Capt that took it to an extreme and started kicking the guys off the flights if they did the ole shuffle past the cockpit. He did have a point, if I showed up at their respcetive airline and just took a seat, I would proably get kicked off too.

Turns out all of the indiviuals we had trouble with were Air Force and most of them just happened to work for CO.

I'll bet you think all black people are bad drivers because a black guy cut you off yesterday. Disregard the statistic that puts them at the top of the safe driver list and make up your own mind.

Don't worry Scrap, it'll take you all of 45 seconds to learn proper jumpseat procedures. This guy will go to his grave not knowing the thrill of the flying that you're doing...and it eats him alive.

Last edited:
olympus593 said:
To: All fedex pilot.

Please hand me your ID with your jumpseat boarding pass when you ask for a ride. The last guy made me ask for it and was offended/Pissed off when I asked for his licence.

P.S: Because You make more than me doesn't exempt you guy's from showing your company ID.

Pure flamebait and Dudes just keep taking the bait.:puke:

Thedude said:
Not to throw rocks, but it has been my experience that pull crap like that tend to be military and I would bet you he went straight from the military to Fedex.

Several yrs ago, when I worked at the commuters we use to have trouble with a few jumpseaters. They usually did not introduce themselves and the thought of even asking for a ride was benenth them. I might get a slap on the back as they walked past the cockpit. We had one Capt that took it to an extreme and started kicking the guys off the flights if they did the ole shuffle past the cockpit. He did have a point, if I showed up at their respcetive airline and just took a seat, I would proably get kicked off too.

I think what Thedude is talking about is the learning curve. How'd it be if a bunch of civilians joined your squadron.... as an 0-5 with attitude!

It sure is nice that the MIL guys have good CIV careers.. or sometimes even jobs, that they can transition to...

When the MIL guys go straight to FX, UPS, jetBlue, SWA, etc.. they are by-passing the JO indoctrination of the 'regionals'......

The CIV guys that have been in the airlines since flight hour 1 have been custodians.... And when the MIL guys show up they blend in well and become custodians of the Air Line Profession too....

Rez - Mil guys may bypass the JO regional indoctrination, but they surely have spent their fair share of nights in a tent over in the sand box. Everyone pays their dues. Everyone makes their own choices on their career path. To group pilots into two distict groups is ignorant. I know some mil guys who are some of the finest folks I have every met, and the same goes for civilians.

JDriver said:
Rez - Mil guys may bypass the JO regional indoctrination, but they surely have spent their fair share of nights in a tent over in the sand box. Everyone pays their dues. Everyone makes their own choices on their career path. To group pilots into two distict groups is ignorant. I know some mil guys who are some of the finest folks I have every met, and the same goes for civilians.

Agreed! perhaps you missed my point... coming from MIL to CIV.. there is a learning to curve to the culture and how it works.. Just cause a MIL guy got a job at an airline doesn't mean he's Top Gun of the class. Most guys know this..some don't...

Some MIL guys don't get the whole union thing and still operate God Duty Country.

Some MIL guys think the jumpseat seat is an entitlement and don't understand how it is constantly fought for....

Some MIL guys have arrogrant cocky attitudes... wait.. it is just not MIL guys.. it can be anyone. Lot's of CIV cocky new hire's at the regionals.

From my persepective, any professional with a lick of common sense knows proper JS procedure/behavior. What we may be experiencing is a buch of jackasses with the entitlement mentality. If someone is a a**hole, it does not matter where they trained or who they work for - They are still an a**hole. Perhaps they will have to learn a lesson the hard way before they get it!

Purpled said:
No dopey head, not the basics. I'm talking about specifics for a given airline or aircraft. For instance, in the previous thread someone spoke of introducing yourself to the FO at the bottom of the stairs and not bothering the Capt as the door gets closed. Stuff like that. If a guy isn't polite, just don't take him. That's too basic to be corrected in the jet-way.

I'll start: At Fedex, be sure to arrive the hour early that you are told when you book your flight. Some ramps won't check you in if you are late. Then, find any crewmember and ask them to point you in the right direction. It's that easy. See, I skipped all the 'be polite' stuff because you should already know that.

Gotcha...

Next Fedex guy who ain't polite, I won't take him...
Next Fedex guy who ain't there 1 hour prior, I won't take him

Thanks for clearing that up.

freightdogfred said:
Gotcha...

Next Fedex guy who ain't polite, I won't take him...
Next Fedex guy who ain't there 1 hour prior, I won't take him

Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't care if you don't take someone who isn't polite and is a jerk, that's their problem. Or, take them and then publicly humiliate them here, if you like.

The one hour rule is imposed by our company, not sure why. Probably so the ramp doesn't have to change the W&B at the last minute. If it were up to us, you could get on with late-bulk freight, after the door is closed.

Good luck with your jumpseat war, I'm sure it will work out for you just fine.

Last edited:
Yeah, the one hour rule relates mostly to our different logistics. Especially in MEM, where getting out to the plane on a bus can take quite a chunk of time. Your bags have to be tagged, too.

Also keep in mind a pilot has to do the jumpseater brief- pax guys have flight attendants.

Jumpseat names have to go through our GOC, too, (dispatch) and their names have to be on the release. This takes extra time, and means ACARS or radio/phone calls if it has to be changed. Pax guys have gate agents that do this, and they do the manifest at the last minute (since they don't even know what paying pax will be there until then.)

And the final word- it is the COMPANY imposing it. Any of us pilots would gladly take any guy that shows up before the door shuts.

Latest resources

Back