Joe Merchant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sinca3

You continue to spat with ALPA on a national and local level. You also contiunually say we are in the wrong environment to fight for a better pay and quality issue in these negotiations. You say its all about the timing and the times are bad!
I ask you then, isn't it bad timing for you to try and drive a wedge between ALPA and the pilot group? Why aren't you heeding your own wisdom and leave well enough alone and fight this fight when the timing is better?
I don't totally disagree with some of the things you argue. You have your ideas and it gives me and anyone else another view on things. I just disagree with your timing and execution.
All your doing is hurting our negotiations with you ALPA bashing at this inoportune time!

I pasted this from the ASA negotiations thread since it sheds a lot of light on Joe Merchant's motives...

Bizjet said:
Johnny,

Why don't you explain how little negotiating experience you really have? Your time on the "98" negotiating team was much less than any CNC member currently serving. You portray yourself as having spent a lot of time negotiating in front of the NMB. Actually ALPA and the Company were parked for a couple of months while you fiddled. The resolve of the ASA pilot group determined how long we were parked. The company asked to come back to the table because the operation was melting down. You were nothing more than a glorified order taker for the contract we work under today. You are the most disingenuous spin doctor I have ever witnessed. You write your own history and most of it is concocted. Your total experience was a few short months so stop doctoring your resume!

Boy toy, why don't you tell all your pro management bed wetter’s that you are terrified of a job action to get a descent contract? ..(edited to remove personal content).. or do everything in your power to convince those that have the balls to deliver a descent contract that they can't win! You fool none of us that know you. Your hatred for ALPA is legendary. You are an embarrassment to every pilot that carried your frightened weak a$$ in ‘98’ and now you and your Mommy have to make a tough decision. Scab or financial ruin! Well, John Boy, I guess we will not have to wait too long to find out how tough you really are?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sinca3 said:
You continue to spat with ALPA on a national and local level. You also contiunually say we are in the wrong environment to fight for a better pay and quality issue in these negotiations. You say its all about the timing and the times are bad!
I ask you then, isn't it bad timing for you to try and drive a wedge between ALPA and the pilot group? Why aren't you heeding your own wisdom and leave well enough alone and fight this fight when the timing is better?
I don't totally disagree with some of the things you argue. You have your ideas and it gives me and anyone else another view on things. I just disagree with your timing and execution.
All your doing is hurting our negotiations with you ALPA bashing at this inoportune time!

Sinca3, thanks for the question. I appreciate people who keep the debates focussed on issues, facts, and ideas. I will respond to you because you left out the false libelous attacks of John Pennekamp and Bizjet. Just for the record, these two are ASA ALPA reps. The fact that they don't counter the issues I bring up with counterpoints speaks volumes to the leadership we have. As a matter of debate, people with weak positions normally resort to cheap personal attacks. It doesn't bother me, and in fact tells me I am striking a nerve with the powers that be which is my intent. In fact every personal attack from these two ALPA people reaffirms my current opinions of ALPA.

To answer your question, the timing is right for what I am doing. Everyone seems to think this contract is the most important thing right now. Simply put, I believe that if we were to achieve an industry leading contract at this time, we will see a loss of flying. I do not believe that is in the best interests of the majority of ASA pilots. Do we need the worst contract in the industry? NO. I believe an upper middle pack contract will suffice. In fact in many areas, what has already been agreed to ARE INDUSTRY LEADING. In fact, many items from contract '98 are still industry leading because of the failure of ALPA to push things forward.

I do not see SKYW management as the enemy. I'm sorry if that offends some pro-union people who will always see managements as enemies, but unions have created many of the problems we face. Does that mean managements are always right? Heck no, in fact I was a huge critic of the old ASA management and am no real fan of Delta management. I don't believe in painting everything with the same brush. I firmly believe that SKYW management is the best management in the regional industry.

I don't know if that answers your question, but if you refain from the false personal attacks of our MEC reps. I will answer your questions.

John, the problem is that you have yet to fully and truthfully answer any question. You say you answer, but then you spin it into an anti-ALPA/pro-RJDC statement.

As for the personal attacks, I have no idea if they are true or not, nor do I care enough about them to make any decisions based on them.

I have a simple question for you, what have you done to help your fellow pilots, the union, or your cause(I don't want to hear, well I was part of this or helped with that, I want to know what you actually have done)?

Or are you just stirring the pot to make noise and get your name heard?

I guess the only thing I see you doing is attacking our union at a bad time. You have a beef with ALPA national and I don't disagree that they have made huge mistakes and continue to over look our section of the airline industry. I think the national union has backed themselves into a corner and don't know how to get out.
That being said I still think the personal vendettas in our local shop need to be addressed at a later time. I think the anti-union protest need to be quelled until our contract is finished.
I agree that the industry is in turmoil and we at this level are getting pinched from every direction. I just don't think they/we ASA pilots need to be getting pinched by 1) an LEC rep, 2) a fellow pilot.
Your ideas are welcome as I said before but ease up on the anti union speel for awhile at least until we can get this contract signed.....even if it is or isn't with industry leading qualities.

Last edited:
cushman_500 said:
John, the problem is that you have yet to fully and truthfully answer any question. You say you answer, but then you spin it into an anti-ALPA/pro-RJDC statement.

That's not true. I have been answering questions repeatedly the past few days. If asked an honest question, I will give you my honest answer. Some don't like the answers, but that doesn't mean I'm not answering. My biggest fault, and I admit it, is that I am too honest in my opinions sometime. I am very not politically correct.

cushman_500 said:
I have a simple question for you, what have you done to help your fellow pilots, the union, or your cause(I don't want to hear, well I was part of this or helped with that, I want to know what you actually have done)?

I'm definitely not doing this for my benefit. I am on vacation and probably should be enjoying myself instead of subjecting myself to personal attacks. The simple answer is that I don't believe getting everything we are asking for is in the best interest of this pilot group. I honestly believe that even if what we are asking for is achieved, we will lose flying to SKYW and other carriers. Personally that won't affect me much as I am senior enough that I will be OK. However it will have a negative affect on the income and QOL of many of our pilots. It we be a lot easier on me to simply tow the party line and say "let's draw a line in the sand". I'm just tired of seeing people draw these lines in the sand only to have fellow union members at other carriers step over that line to take flying. Doesn't really seem like much of a union to me. Actually the CMR strike was what really made me see the absolute falacy of this union.

Moderator Input

I do not have a dog in the ALPA/Anti-ALPA fight.

I will not, however, allow personal info on our posters to be placed into this public forum. John Pennecamp, as much as I love your namesake, I'll ban you if you post anything like what I just deleted...There is NO room here for such identifiable information and attacks.

Joe Merchant is simply stating his views and positions--logically and within the scope of our rules. You may not like those thoughts, but they are at least presented with forethought and class.

Debate, argue, form opinions. That's what the board is for. Personal attacks are not going to be tolerated.

No other warnings, ladies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushman_500

I'm definitely not doing this for my benefit. I am on vacation and probably should be enjoying myself instead of subjecting myself to personal attacks. The simple answer is that I don't believe getting everything we are asking for is in the best interest of this pilot group. I honestly believe that even if what we are asking for is achieved, we will lose flying to SKYW and other carriers. Personally that won't affect me much as I am senior enough that I will be OK. However it will have a negative affect on the income and QOL of many of our pilots. It we be a lot easier on me to simply tow the party line and say "let's draw a line in the sand". I'm just tired of seeing people draw these lines in the sand only to have fellow union members at other carriers step over that line to take flying. Doesn't really seem like much of a union to me. Actually the CMR strike was what really made me see the absolute falacy of this union.

In that entire paragraph there was no answer!

Latest resources

Back