• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue Makes History With Pilot POW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Backbone is easier to have when you have a collective bargaining agreement and legal team on your side to help protect you from punitive termination...

Oh please. Are we that PATHETIC? Wah wah wah, my ALPA lawyer isn't here. Wah wah wah.

EVERY jetBlue pilot knew what they were getting into Shayna......I say let em crash.

Oh please. Are we that PATHETIC? Wah wah wah, my ALPA lawyer isn't here. Wah wah wah.

I realize your situation with MEH has left you bitter as hell, but step away from your rage and think about it for a second:

Company comes to you and says "We need you to publicly recant what you said about lack of support from the station."

What are his options if he says no?

#1 - nothing happens
#2 - he gets terminated, suspended, or otherwise disciplined

Being asked to recant a statement pretty much puts #1 in doubt, leaving us with #2. With any kind of collective bargaining representation there would be a grievance process in place to fight a wrongful termination. Without collective bargaining representation, he'd be left to his own devices to secure legal representation at his expense and fight Jetblue in court and/or the media.

If he refused to do the statement, got disciplined and then went public with it it'd be a HUGE black eye for Jetblue...but wouldn't change the fact that guy is now unemployed, with legal bills, in the public spotlight speaking out against his employer, who obviously is bent on fighting him.

Or, make the damn statement and continue collecting a paycheck.

What's an adult with responsibilities to do?!?

But perhaps I should have said "Backbone is easier to have when you're sitting in front of a keyboard typing on Flightinfo"...

If you chose to go to a union-less airline then you deserve to be made to look like an a$$ in front of your peers. Can guarantee you this would not have happened at any of the majors. Hopefully the video goes public so we can all make fun of him.

There was a lot of options available, and the JB station should have stepped up to the plate first,....with a plan. Where was the JB Station Manager in all of this?

I realize your situation with MEH has left you bitter as hell, but step away from your rage and think about it for a second:

Company comes to you and says "We need you to publicly recant what you said about lack of support from the station."

What are his options if he says no?

#1 - nothing happens
#2 - he gets terminated, suspended, or otherwise disciplined

Being asked to recant a statement pretty much puts #1 in doubt, leaving us with #2. With any kind of collective bargaining representation there would be a grievance process in place to fight a wrongful termination. Without collective bargaining representation, he'd be left to his own devices to secure legal representation at his expense and fight Jetblue in court and/or the media.

If he refused to do the statement, got disciplined and then went public with it it'd be a HUGE black eye for Jetblue...but wouldn't change the fact that guy is now unemployed, with legal bills, in the public spotlight speaking out against his employer, who obviously is bent on fighting him.

Or, make the damn statement and continue collecting a paycheck.

What's an adult with responsibilities to do?!?

But perhaps I should have said "Backbone is easier to have when you're sitting in front of a keyboard typing on Flightinfo"...

Public? It was on an internal website:
Now on the company's internal website, a 15-minute long explanation from the CA of 504 about how the news media took his comments out-of-context.

It was simply a stupid attempt at trying to regain face internally after doing something stupid over the weekend and its backfiring.

Having a backbone has nothing to do with being bitter, you don't need mommy to say I don't want to do this. You get fired, you sue as simple as that. A Captain at jetBlue has had a lot of internal resources spent on that employee and you think they would simply get a poor rate of return on that and let him go no questions asked? Come on. If I had to speculate, this individual probably willingly complied with the request.

As for legal bills, you know how much press this got over the weekend? You think any lawyer looking to make a career wouldn't take this case on?

"Go ahead fire me mf'ers. You are doing me a gd f'in favor you cheap cs'rs. Take your f'n E190 and shove it up your gd f'n a## take this....you all deserve it"

POW...POW.....POWPOW...POW...POW...POWPOW

There was a lot of options available, and the JB station should have stepped up to the plate first,....with a plan. Where was the JB Station Manager in all of this?

At our shop, when the 2.5 hour mark rolls around, the VP Flight Ops get woken up to call the shots. $ 27 500 per passenger seems to get VP treatment.

I'm a little surprised that there wasn't more frantic action from the Smurf King. Perhaps using the body warmth of his loving employees to burrow through the snow and save his beleaguered customers .... Or not.

Don't forget this great tweet from the twitter machine and the JB COO the day of-

@JetBlueCOO Rob Maruster
Despite calls for doom, we're planning to operate a full schedule today. Expect delays this evening as rain turns to snow in NE. #snowtober

FWIW, if I'm diverting, unless its an emergency, I'm diverting to an on-line station. That is going to be the best bet to avoid a cluster . . . usually. ;)

Ty, just a heads-up, get used to seeing off-line alternates, especially when you're in a -300. :)

Also, COS is probably our most frequent off-line divert location, and they are excellent at handling us. The Jet Center does great work. Heck, it would probably be easier if we just made them a station already.

Latest resources

Back