• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue Makes History With Pilot POW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would have called the FBO on the field and told them we would like to park there and deplane our pax into the FBO.

Seems to me that JB management would not object to that.

That was an very difficult situation.

True, you could deplane them there (if they have airstairs, or if your plane is equipped) but not emplane them. You can arrive at an unsecure facility, but not depart from one.

Best bet would be to have a bus (or buses) standing by to take the folks to the terminal, or the destination, if the roads are passable.

FWIW, if I'm diverting, unless its an emergency, I'm diverting to an on-line station. That is going to be the best bet to avoid a cluster . . . usually. ;)

I would have called the FBO on the field and told them we would like to park there and deplane our pax into the FBO.

Seems to me that JB management would not object to that.

That was an very difficult situation.
And be arrested by Forrest Gump of TSA at the FBO for entering a non-sterile area, where he would not be allowed to de-plane. Probably better he ran out of gas, ditched in a river and saved everyone.

And be arrested by Forrest Gump of TSA at the FBO for entering a non-sterile area, where he would not be allowed to de-plane. Probably better he ran out of gas, ditched in a river and saved everyone.

What?

Is there a TSA directive that passengers must deplane into a sterile area? Or that 121 aircraft aren't allowed on FBO ramps?

The ramp at TAC-Air BDL most certainly is within the Airport Operations Area.

Who cares if passengers have to go back to the terminal and be re-screened before reboarding the plane - at least they'll be out of the tin can, be able to hit a clean bathroom, maybe take the crew car to grab some food...

True, you could deplane them there (if they have airstairs, or if your plane is equipped) but not emplane them. You can arrive at an unsecure facility, but not depart from one.

Best bet would be to have a bus (or buses) standing by to take the folks to the terminal, or the destination, if the roads are passable.

FWIW, if I'm diverting, unless its an emergency, I'm diverting to an on-line station. That is going to be the best bet to avoid a cluster . . . usually. ;)

I think JB flies to Hartford. But, it was at the heart of the storm when they got there.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Bdl is a JetBlue station. You can hear tapes of the pilot pleading for help. Now granted...he could've maybe been more assertive...maybe just taxi to an open gate...but the real criminal here is JetBlue management, dispatch and the bdl station manager should be fired. I know at luv at all of our stations we have someone there or on call that is trained to operate jetways and park a/c....granted we are not close to perfect but we do have plans in effect at all of our stations to prevent this. I was just at bdl last week. I know JetBlue uses contract ramp there...not the best service in the world :) lowest bidder I guess. But some heads should roll over this at JetBlue but I guess they'll just crucify the captain. It's a damn shame.

Back in the day Airways did the same thing to a crew. They made a what happened video for everyone to see during recurrent. It was a hot start that ended with the FA's starting an evac....lots more to the story but you get the idea......

So just what did they expect the capt to do?

Rope down, start towing airplanes around to clear a gate- have the FO taxi the airplane to the gate, drive the jetway up to the plane??

What options did they have?

So just what did they expect the capt to do?

Rope down, start towing airplanes around to clear a gate

YEE-HAA!! That's one way to make Last Call! :beer:

Just be sure to set the brakes, and shut 'em both down first. :laugh:

There is plenty of blame to go around with this, and it sucks that the crew is going to be thrown on the altar of sacrifice...The folks on the ground, ie, rampers, customer service, should be held to just as responsible for not getting creative on fixing a bad situation. Regardless, you find a way to get the pax off the plane, regardless if it is in a sterile or non-sterile area. Worry about that crap about getting screened later before re-boarding, that is not big deal.

Latest resources

Back