• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue circus revisited- 1st stuck in the lav, now the cargo hold

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So with all these belly entrapment occurrences, should aircraft manufacturers begin installing glow-in-the-dark emergency release handles like the one in my car's trunk?:rolleyes:

Wake up and grab a handle to open a cargo door in a pressurized bin? That's refreshing!

"Capt, it looks like we just took a rat-strike in no.2"
"We're gonna be in the Hudson"

After the ramper in the cargo bin incident, whenever they call up with the bag numbers, I ask them if there are any personnel loaded in the bins downstairs.

it's lucky this wasn't an int'l flight. THAT would be a wicked mess. He would've been arrested and then let the dust settle.

what the hell happened there?

Port Authority was working on the fire system for the hangar...did something wrong and set the damn thing off.

One a/c is back flying after a dual engine replacement. The other is in bad shape...so I hear. All panels were open, cockpit windows, doors..ect. while she was undergoing some electrical work. I don't know how long that one will be down.

All through college I worked the ramp. There is no way you fall asleep as bags are being loaded, doors are being shut, engines are being started and aircraft is being pushed back. Even with earplugs the motors closing the doors are too loud to ignore. Complete bullsh!t. Unless this idiot was on drugs or trying to commit suicide there is no reasonable explanation.

" Zantop too, but the guy woke up and starting kicking the floor and the crew heard/felt it and came back."

Now let's not mess up a really good story here....

The crew actually was level in cruise when they heard a knocking at the cockpit door.

This was quite disconcerting, at night, in a freighter.

The F/E looked through the peep hole and saw a small Indian type fellow standing there crying and yelling "where are you taking me!!"

The F/E asked the Captain "what should I do?" to which our intrepid hero one Captain Thomas ( The Cooch Monster ) Cucinotta replied: " Let the poor F-cker in if he doesn't have gun!"

Turns out our friend Habib was a drunken frat boy from BOS, and his buddies had walked out to the loading dock at the Zantop facility and dumped his passed out azz into a box of car parts.

Next thing he knows he wakes up ( Not in the belly ) in the main deck cargo area, in the dark, in the cold, in a box, while hearing the incessant drone of 4 out of synch Allison 501's growling at him.

Freaked him out a bit...as well as it did the Crew when they heard him knock on the door.

That's the way I remember it.

Back in the day.

Sigh.

YKMKR

All through college I worked the ramp. There is no way you fall asleep as bags are being loaded, doors are being shut, engines are being started and aircraft is being pushed back. Even with earplugs the motors closing the doors are too loud to ignore. Complete bullsh!t. Unless this idiot was on drugs or trying to commit suicide there is no reasonable explanation.

LOL...

SpiritRamperGuy

Very similar incident also happened at Northwest but it didn't make the news (ramper took an unintentional free ride down below from DTW to BUF if memory serves...and came back to DTW as a PAX...LOL). Dude...open your mind man...young people these days sleep thru ANYTHING.

JetBlue worker nods off, flies to Boston in cargo hold
Comments 33 | Recommend 13
yahooBuzzArticleIdBuzz up!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Like this story? Share it with Yahoo! Buzz [/FONT]
A 21-year-old JetBlue baggage handler flew between New York JFK and Boston after "mysteriously" getting trapped in the flight's cargo hold, various media outlets reported Monday. NBC New York says it learned yesterday "that the worker was in the belly of the plane loading luggage for the flight that left JFK Airport around noon Saturday en route to Boston. That's when the worker seems to have fallen asleep. He later found himself in Beantown after the flight had landed at Logan International Airport," NBC writes.
The New York Daily News adds the man "stunned his tarmac counterparts at Boston's Logan Airport Saturday when they opened the cargo door of the twin-engine ERJ-190 jet and unloaded him along with the luggage." Police initially thought the man may have been a stowaway, but they eventually concluded he simply was "an accidental tourist," as the Daily News put its. Still, Massachusetts State Police spokesman David Procopio tells the paper that "even after talking to him we were a little uncertain as to how it happened."
NBC New York writes "one official said it appears the baggage handler fell asleep inside the cargo hold, but added that investigators are looking into whether the worker was accidentally locked inside by co-workers." Regardless, NBC adds that the official said the worker appeared to be "tired" and nodded off before the flight left JFK.
Then, the man "panicked when he realized he was no longer on the ground," The Boston Globe writes. The paper says he 'phoned JetBlue officials from the air but had to wait to be unloaded with the luggage at Gate 28 of Logan Airport, police said. A medical team evaluated him and found no signs of injuries." JetBlue officials say the company is investigating the incident.
JetBlue spokesman Bryan Baldwin "said the cargo bins on JetBlue planes are pressurized, which allowed (the man) to survive," the Daily News writes. The flight between JFK and Boston took 37 minutes and reached 17,000 feet, according to the paper, which adds that this isn’t the first such incident to happen at one of the New York-area airports. The Daily News writes that "in June 2005, a La Guardia Airport baggage handler took a nap in the empty cargo bin of a Spirit Airlines MD-80 and woke up 90 minutes later in Detroit."

Last edited:
Judge tosses JetBlue bathroom suit

Last update: 3:33 p.m. EDT April 2, 2009

NEW YORK, Apr 2, 2009 (UPI via COMTEX) -- A New York judge ruled a JetBlue pilot did not act improperly when he advised a stand-by passenger to "hang out" in the bathroom.
U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska said in tossing the $2 million lawsuit Monday that the pilot's actions during the San Diego-to-New York flight were not, as the suit claimed, outrageous, the New York Post reported Thursday.
Court documents said the passenger, Gokham Mutlu, had been in a jump seat until it was needed by a flight attendant and then finished the flight in a lavatory on advice from the pilot.
"The pilot never threatened plaintiff or forced him into the lavatory," Preska wrote in her ruling.

Latest resources

Back