• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue Pilots Files with N.M.B. for ALPA Representation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I keep hearing that "ALPA is only as great as your local leaders/pilots." So what is ALPA physically bringing to the table?

Every ALPA carrier has had their contract decimated, mis-interpreted, violated, etc. Job Protections? Furlough clauses? So... what good is the paper that a CBA is written on?

"ALPA has a great aeromedical/legal department" Well thats great, but if I took 1.95% of my paycheck for the rest of my career and put it in a piggy bank then I would have a great aeromedical/legal team as well.

"You better get ALPA on property before a merger, or else!" I'm sure a jetblue ALPA would get a fair and equitable integration with Delta, in the event they purchased us. Right? I'll let Dave himself negotiate my seniority if it comes down to that.

ALPA carriers wont strike when another ALPA carrier is on strike, it is not a "union" but only an "association." ALPA is a big business and its job is to be the middle-man between pilots and management. They are great at selling fear, all for a price of 1.95% of your life.

Im not anti-union, I just dont think ALPA does anything to deserve a vote. If they had unity and would go on strike when another ALPA carrier goes on strike, great! National Seniority list? Great! Standardized Minimum contracts for all ALPA carriers? Great!

I feel that the pro-ALPA messengers want us to be afraid of the consequences of not voting ALPA, as opposed to being eager to vote ALPA. Judgement is clouded when fear prevails.

How long have you been at JetBlue? I suggest you take the time to study the 11+ year labor history at JetBlue and then see if you think you should vote yes or not.

Who represents you if you are in an accident/incident?
Who represents you in a merger?
Who represents you if any item of your PEA is violated?

It's about having representation. That's all that can be guaranteed. That said, JetBlue has refused to entertain average benefits.

You have no scope.
No merger protection.
Horrible health insurance.
Limited health insurance on LTD.
40% less retirement, most other carriers get profit sharing too.

The list goes on and on.

As for every carrier having their pay and benefits decimated, well what do you expect after 9/11 and in some cases multiple bankruptcies? 92% of airline pilots are unionized....hmmmm. I wonder that might be?

What would the airline business be like today without unions? You would probably see Trans States, Mesa, and Eagle flying 737's for $85 an hour.....as a Captain.

I know you are new to JetBlue and I welcome you. Just ask your fellow pilots and make a decision based on fact. I don't love unions but after being a member of ALPA twice and now at JetBlue for almost 9 years it's high time for representation.

30 days after the vote for certification. The vote is typicaly 22-29 from the filing. It's also a function of when Jetblue provides the requested signatures and seniority list. After ALPA is certified we have to elect MEC/LEC's.

I keep hearing that "ALPA is only as great as your local leaders/pilots." So what is ALPA physically bringing to the table?

Every ALPA carrier has had their contract decimated, mis-interpreted, violated, etc. Job Protections? Furlough clauses? So... what good is the paper that a CBA is written on?

"ALPA has a great aeromedical/legal department" Well thats great, but if I took 1.95% of my paycheck for the rest of my career and put it in a piggy bank then I would have a great aeromedical/legal team as well.

"You better get ALPA on property before a merger, or else!" I'm sure a jetblue ALPA would get a fair and equitable integration with Delta, in the event they purchased us. Right? I'll let Dave himself negotiate my seniority if it comes down to that.

ALPA carriers wont strike when another ALPA carrier is on strike, it is not a "union" but only an "association." ALPA is a big business and its job is to be the middle-man between pilots and management. They are great at selling fear, all for a price of 1.95% of your life.

Im not anti-union, I just dont think ALPA does anything to deserve a vote. If they had unity and would go on strike when another ALPA carrier goes on strike, great! National Seniority list? Great! Standardized Minimum contracts for all ALPA carriers? Great!

I feel that the pro-ALPA messengers want us to be afraid of the consequences of not voting ALPA, as opposed to being eager to vote ALPA. Judgement is clouded when fear prevails.

5 issues for me:

No scope
No merger protection
We pay 40% of our insurance premiums compared with 20% and industry standard
Retirement
Last and most important is the ability to collectively grieve. Nothing else matters if we have to act as 2300 individuals.

Pay not attention to the argumentative troll.
That is right if you are not pro-union, do not post. How come when the unions tried to organize our airline, most of the no votes came from former union members?

There have been some changes that many might not be aware of yet. Alpo is now Dalpo, with world headquarters in Atlanta. Congressman are now booking flights to Atlanta to be lobbied.

You have no dog in the fight. Have a nice day.....and buzz off.
This is a public site, if you post it is open to response. If you don't want a response go private. BTW I have a dog in this fight, I have about a dozen friends working there and I am concerned about their future

Latest resources

Back