• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue Pilots Files with N.M.B. for ALPA Representation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA is needed because we have ZERO protections in the likely event of a merger. Jetblue is a good company but it does not feel like protecting the pilot group so most of us have had to put work into protecting ourselves. Did you know M/B does not even apply to us because we lack a certified bargaining agent? Did you know we lack the ability to collectively file a grievance? Forget about benefits and pay for a second because without either one of the above we don't even have jobs.
Lastly, we haven't furloughed because we haven't needed to. We have always been understaffed and during the worst of the economic downturn we were grossly understaffed. It's truly a myth that leadership did us a favor by not furloughing.
This the same protection that ALPS gave the TWA pilots? Been there done that, unions are limited in what they can deliver. One thing they can not deliver is job security. I was ALPA at TransAmerican (L-188/DC-8), 1978-79, owner decided he could make more money selling airplanes than flying them, going backward in seniority, airline ended up in 1982 with C-130's in Angola Africa and New Guinea. Folded in 1984, I bailed to the corp. world in 1979. Handwriting was on the wall and there was nothing a union could do to protect my job. Zantop Teamsters (L-188) in 1996, union got in by one vote, first pay raise on contract due 3-26-1997, owner shut the company down on 3-25-1997. Jimmy Zantop figured why risk my $35M, Nothing a union could do to protect my job.

My man Smith,

You said:"We may see improvements in some areas but at what expense...furloughs?"

You think they have enough staffing to furlough, either you are a bit gullible or you haven't tried to PTO lately, nor have you actually considered why we are running a bid divisor so high, that people could well time out before the end of the year just by getting assigned target.

Besides, we don't have a no furlough policy, if you didn't understand that before, then take a look at the five mocuments, it's spelled out clear as day.

You are correct though, in that most would rather give up a few bucks as opposed to seeing anyone furloughed, solution, the company cannot set the bid divisor above X hours, let's call it 70, in case even one guy is furloughed. That'll fix that little game right quick.

This the same protection that ALPS gave the TWA pilots? Been there done that, unions are limited in what they can deliver. One thing they can not deliver is job security. I was ALPA at TransAmerican (L-188/DC-8), 1978-79, owner decided he could make more money selling airplanes than flying them, going backward in seniority, airline ended up in 1982 with C-130's in Angola Africa and New Guinea. Folded in 1984, I bailed to the corp. world in 1979. Handwriting was on the wall and there was nothing a union could do to protect my job. Zantop Teamsters (L-188) in 1996, union got in by one vote, first pay raise on contract due 3-26-1997, owner shut the company down on 3-25-1997. Jimmy Zantop figured why risk my $35M, Nothing a union could do to protect my job.

Seriously? What a waste of bandwidth this post is.

Seriously? What a waste of bandwidth this post is.
yea no truth to it what so ever, I mean once you have a union job you have a job for life.

PCL 128 right there shows somewhat, what is wrong with alpa.... A guys that pays for his job, run by a scab, is now in the political mix of ALPA......go figure...

yea no truth to it what so ever, I mean once you have a union job you have a job for life.

No union can prevent a BADLY run company from failing. No union can fix a bad business plan. Neither of those have anything to do with jetBlue. You worked for a couple of small, uncompetitive or unsustainable businesses, that just happen to be union, so you think that is proof that unions kill companies, or unions offer no job protections at well run companies. It is a bridge WAY too far.

It is meaningless in this context.

Wow, the least you can do is be logical and realistic. You are going to blame a union because you worked for a pathetic outfit that was shut down because of an owner or another that had declared bankruptcy and was facing liquidation? Seriously? Do Delta, American, United, Continental, SWA, Hawaiin, Alaska, have merger protection, good benefits and pay? At Jetblue all we have is arguably industry standard pay.

You career never amounted to much and now you're reaching. Settle down.

You career never amounted to much and now you're reaching. Settle down.
good show attack the messenger, As I have said before union have done great things in the past to make this career better, but there are limits to their ability to ignore reality. BTW My career has been an adventure and looking back I am not sure I would have changed much, I don't understand all the unhappiness I see here when guys have my dream job. I will send you a PM.

I keep hearing that "ALPA is only as great as your local leaders/pilots." So what is ALPA physically bringing to the table?

Every ALPA carrier has had their contract decimated, mis-interpreted, violated, etc. Job Protections? Furlough clauses? So... what good is the paper that a CBA is written on?

"ALPA has a great aeromedical/legal department" Well thats great, but if I took 1.95% of my paycheck for the rest of my career and put it in a piggy bank then I would have a great aeromedical/legal team as well.

"You better get ALPA on property before a merger, or else!" I'm sure a jetblue ALPA would get a fair and equitable integration with Delta, in the event they purchased us. Right? I'll let Dave himself negotiate my seniority if it comes down to that.

ALPA carriers wont strike when another ALPA carrier is on strike, it is not a "union" but only an "association." ALPA is a big business and its job is to be the middle-man between pilots and management. They are great at selling fear, all for a price of 1.95% of your life.

Im not anti-union, I just dont think ALPA does anything to deserve a vote. If they had unity and would go on strike when another ALPA carrier goes on strike, great! National Seniority list? Great! Standardized Minimum contracts for all ALPA carriers? Great!

I feel that the pro-ALPA messengers want us to be afraid of the consequences of not voting ALPA, as opposed to being eager to vote ALPA. Judgement is clouded when fear prevails.

Latest resources

Back